CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Plextor PX-712A writing quality on several different media   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1127 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> CD, DVD, BD Drives >> Writing Quality >> RE: Plextor PX-712A writing quality on several different media Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Plextor PX-712A writing quality on several differen... - 7/17/2004 9:32:14 PM   
cvs

quote:

ORIGINAL: minos

Is it TTG01 or TYG01?

There are also many other media 4X@8X, depends off course on what the firmware of a burner support's. Known media most times burn at higher speed than the certified.

They're TTG01. It seems that TDK uses both TTG01 and TYG01 dyes.

As far as I know, these two are the only 4x DVD-R's which write at 8x on Plextor PX-712.

Clint found that you can write TYG01 @8x on PX712. I've then found the website confirming that TTG01 will also burn at 8x on PX712. I have't seen any other info suggesting that other 4x DVD-R media can be written at 6x or 8x on PX712.

If you know any other 4x DVD-R's which can be burn at 6x or 8x on Plextor PX712, please let us know.

(in reply to Deleted User)
Post #: 33
RE: Plextor PX-712A writing quality on several differen... - 7/18/2004 2:13:50 PM   
Clint

cvs, I just checked out the 'new firmware' thread over at 'the FREAKS' and am quite *intrigued* with the input to say the least... I had a audio CD problem with my original PX-W4824TA, where it produced audiable clicks on all tracks but only on one channel (can't remember off hand which one) so I know only to well that even the 'best' suffer from the downfalls of mass-production - having said that, my new replacement W4824TA was one of the best performing, solid reliable writers I have ever had the pleasure to use and it's still fine to this day.

You may have 2 bad drives - it has happened before, and it would happen to me before I would win the lotto.

(in reply to cvs)
Post #: 34
[Deleted] - 7/18/2004 6:01:56 PM   
Deleted User
[Deleted by Admins]

(in reply to Clint)
  Post #: 35
RE: Plextor PX-712A writing quality on several differen... - 7/20/2004 8:04:56 PM   
cvs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Clint
You may have 2 bad drives - it has happened before, and it would happen to me before I would win the lotto.

I hope not ... but at least you may win the lottery ...
With my current luck, it will probably happen again in the near future and I won't win the lottery either

If you have another look at that thread now, I'm sure you'll find some interesting novelties to read about my old unit since your last visit ... just look for one of my new posts regarding the old unit ... also there's another new thread on DVD-R writing ...

I'll try the new unit with Traxdata 8x DVD-R (RITEK G05), Intenso 8x DVD+R (PRODISC R03) and TDK 4x DVD-R (hopefully either TYG01 or TTG01) and I'll see how it goes ... I should get all these discs by the end of the week. As all these discs are upper range in terms of quality compared with common media like Datawrite and Infinity, they should really set the scene right. They were all part of the reviews giving very good scans, and if my scans won't fit with the PX712 reviews, then probably I would have to tell Plextor: Huston ... we have a(nother) problem!

(in reply to Clint)
Post #: 36
RE: Plextor PX-712A writing quality on several differen... - 7/20/2004 8:16:53 PM   
emperor

TTG01 i think is for TDK media while TYG01 is for TY

(in reply to Deleted User)
Post #: 37
RE: Plextor PX-712A writing quality on several differen... - 7/21/2004 2:08:08 AM   
Clint

quote:

ORIGINAL: cvs

I hope not ... but at least you may win the lottery ...
With my current luck, it will probably happen again in the near future and I won't win the lottery either

If you have another look at that thread now, I'm sure you'll find some interesting novelties to read about my old unit since your last visit ... just look for one of my new posts regarding the old unit ... also there's another new thread on DVD-R writing ...

I'll try the new unit with Traxdata 8x DVD-R (RITEK G05), Intenso 8x DVD+R (PRODISC R03) and TDK 4x DVD-R (hopefully either TYG01 or TTG01) and I'll see how it goes ... I should get all these discs by the end of the week. As all these discs are upper range in terms of quality compared with common media like Datawrite and Infinity, they should really set the scene right. They were all part of the reviews giving very good scans, and if my scans won't fit with the PX712 reviews, then probably I would have to tell Plextor: Huston ... we have a(nother) problem!

I will check later when I have time, got to go now ...

The sensus is Ritek media + Plextor is not a 'matching' combination, as the results are sketchy more often than not. The TDK TYG01's will give you the result to determine how well the unit actually performs. I do feel for you, Plextor has definately given you more problems than is expected when your paying that much for a DVD recorder. But, be patient I'm sure if you have got another faulty unit, it'll be rectified, but I know as well as you, that you shouldn't have to go through all this just to get some DVD's burnt that work lol..

(in reply to cvs)
Post #: 38
RE: Plextor PX-712A writing quality on several differen... - 7/21/2004 6:23:48 PM   
cvs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Clint
I do feel for you, Plextor has definately given you more problems than is expected when your paying that much for a DVD recorder. But, be patient I'm sure if you have got another faulty unit, it'll be rectified, but I know as well as you, that you shouldn't have to go through all this just to get some DVD's burnt that work lol..

AMEN!

Well, the TDK media I've bought is TTG01, plextools reports an 8x descriptor available and the FE/TE scan results are good. In spite of all this, the scan is the worse scan I've ever got (including the previous defective drive) or seen in any place until now:

Definitely another bad drive ... two out of two ...

BTW I've stopped the scan at 2Gb, because it already took the drive 30 minutes to reach that point and I've got fed up with it ... it proves the point though ...

The unit works great with TY media though, even at full speed ... even the first defective drive worked well with TY media, but nothing else ... Plextor.be was probably quite puzzled as well, because they've sent the drive to Plextor Japan for more testing ...

All that and more is posted here:

http://forum.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=99294&highlight=plextor+px-712a

It seems that there are quite few people with problem PX-712A drives around...

(in reply to Clint)
Post #: 39
RE: Plextor PX-712A writing quality on several differen... - 7/21/2004 6:26:22 PM   
emperor

cvs, just a question, have you tested if the burned media with bad scans if actually works with DVD players?

Hopefully next week we will have the first results of PX-712SA v1.03 firmware from CATS As I (and minos) have already mentioned, our tested drive actually made coasters with -R media at 4X, not very good sign, we will see how the writing performance is, hopefully we will not get ugly results, cross finger

< Message edited by emperor -- 7/22/2004 1:31:44 AM >

(in reply to cvs)
Post #: 40
RE: Plextor PX-712A writing quality on several differen... - 7/21/2004 6:35:58 PM   
cvs

quote:

ORIGINAL: emperor

TTG01 i think is for TDK media while TYG01 is for TY

Yes, probably TTG01 is TDK's own dye which they're using on some of their discs while on others they use the TY dye. Both should burn at 8x (not on my drive though ).

Just in case someone is interested, the order code for this media is DVD-R47CB25EB.

On a different subject, very nice job with the website and the Sony review!

BTW did you managed to find out in the end what was the problem with the PX712 unit which generated all those DVD-R coasters?

EDIT: Ups .. you were quicker than me ... I only wrote data/music/DivX films on these discs ... I've got rid of my old DVD player and I still haven't bought a new one so I can't even test the music on it ...
I also have a Matshita DVD-ROM unit (it only reads DVD-R's) and I can try to do a NERO surface test on this drive if you think that it might help answering some questions ...

< Message edited by cvs -- 7/22/2004 12:11:20 AM >

(in reply to emperor)
Post #: 41
RE: Plextor PX-712A writing quality on several differen... - 7/21/2004 6:44:41 PM   
emperor

cvs, thanks for your comments about the new website and the Sony review, for sure we always try for the best...

No we haven't contacted Plextor about this behaviour yet, will do later today

(in reply to cvs)
Post #: 42
RE: Plextor PX-712A writing quality on several differen... - 7/21/2004 7:38:36 PM   
cvs

quote:

cvs, just a question, have you tested if the burned media with bad scans if actually works with DVD players?

Hopefully next week we will have the first results of PX-712SA v1.03 firmware from CATS As I (and minos) have already mentioned, our tested drive actually made coasters with -R media at 4X, not very good sign, we will see how the writing performance is, hopefully we will not get ugly results, cross finger

I've did a NERO surface scan on my Matshita SR8587, just in case:

I was quite impressed to find that only 0.96% of the disc was unreadable ... my DVD-ROM must be quite a good reader :)

The scan (I did a speed scan as well) went really well for the first 0.5Gb, where Plextools also reports lower (400!) PI/PO errors, at around 4x in fact, but after that it dropped to 1.3x and then it died when it encountered the first unreadable block ...

(in reply to emperor)
Post #: 43
RE: Plextor PX-712A writing quality on several differen... - 7/21/2004 7:44:18 PM   
emperor

I would strongly suggest to test the bad looking burned discs with DVD players, maybe Plextools/PX-712A have bugs

(in reply to cvs)
Post #: 44
RE: Plextor PX-712A writing quality on several differen... - 7/22/2004 11:55:37 AM   
cvs

quote:

I would strongly suggest to test the bad looking burned discs with DVD players, maybe Plextools/PX-712A have bugs

I've asked Plextor what they think about the TDK scan, and they agreed that this should not happen and that I must have another bad drive, so they've issued another RMA number ... DHL will collect the drive today.

They also agreed to test the new drive they'll send me next, in order to make sure that at least the third drive will be OK
Very good tech support ... I've got my RMA number in less than 4 hours after I've requested it!

(in reply to emperor)
Post #: 45
RE: Plextor PX-712A writing quality on several differen... - 7/22/2004 12:23:03 PM   
wntr

Congratulations CVS. Maybe now with your third drive you can enjoy your 712A.

(in reply to cvs)
Post #: 46
RE: Plextor PX-712A writing quality on several differen... - 7/22/2004 1:50:51 PM   
emperor

I hope that the third PX-712A drive would be better than the previous two...

(in reply to wntr)
Post #: 47
RE: Plextor PX-712A writing quality on several differen... - 7/22/2004 3:18:08 PM   
cvs

quote:

ORIGINAL: wntr

Congratulations CVS. Maybe now with your third drive you can enjoy your 712A.

I certainly hope so! Thanks guys.

(in reply to wntr)
Post #: 48
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> CD, DVD, BD Drives >> Writing Quality >> RE: Plextor PX-712A writing quality on several different media Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI