CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: YAMAHA CRW-F1 review is up!!!   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 641 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> CD, DVD, BD Drives >> RE: YAMAHA CRW-F1 review is up!!! Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: YAMAHA CRW-F1 review is up!!! - 9/2/2002 6:55:38 AM   
perror

Hi Photonic!

Sorry for the late reply...My motherboard is an ABIT KG7-RAID. So far I noticed that it is more likely that the drive may be a bit sensitive to heat....I noticed that once the machine starts to heat up, it starts refusing to write or detect the disc at all. I upgrade to firmware 1.0c last night and I did the same thing...I inserted the disc into the drive, suprisingly with the new firmware, it detects the disc. THen I started burning onto the disc, and guess what, Nero reports a power calibration error. So I shutdown my machine and re-started it after half an hour...and I burned without a single problem. Until it got too hot again and the power calibration error appeared again. My suspision is that the drive is sensitive to heat. I plan to get hold of a Panaflo fan and place it at the back of the drive to give it some air. Hopefully it will cool the drive down sufficiently.

(in reply to john)
Post #: 49
RE: YAMAHA CRW-F1 review is up!!! - 9/2/2002 7:54:20 AM   
Graffitti

that's kinda odd actually... I've gone on 40 cd burning marathons with the F1 without any problem and without any direct cooling on the drive. my case tempurature runs about 43 to 45 degrees C.

(in reply to john)
Post #: 50
RE: YAMAHA CRW-F1 review is up!!! - 9/2/2002 4:16:02 PM   
MP3Mogul

It doesn't sound like a heat problem, sounds like you are starving for juice. What watt power supply do you have in your case? As long as you are not extremely overclocking your processor, there shouldn't be a heat issue, even if you only have the power supply's fan as the only cooling fan in the case. There may be other issues at stake.

LG GSA H22L Firm 1.02
Samsung SH-203N Firm SB01
LiteOn SOHD-16P9S Firm FS0D

(in reply to john)
Post #: 51
RE: YAMAHA CRW-F1 review is up!!! - 9/2/2002 11:17:30 PM   
Laffin Assassin

quote:
Originally posted by perror

Hi Photonic!

Sorry for the late reply...My motherboard is an ABIT KG7-RAID. So far I noticed that it is more likely that the drive may be a bit sensitive to heat....I noticed that once the machine starts to heat up, it starts refusing to write or detect the disc at all. I upgrade to firmware 1.0c last night and I did the same thing...I inserted the disc into the drive, suprisingly with the new firmware, it detects the disc. THen I started burning onto the disc, and guess what, Nero reports a power calibration error. So I shutdown my machine and re-started it after half an hour...and I burned without a single problem. Until it got too hot again and the power calibration error appeared again. My suspision is that the drive is sensitive to heat. I plan to get hold of a Panaflo fan and place it at the back of the drive to give it some air. Hopefully it will cool the drive down sufficiently.

Hi perror
I have noticed that you have the High Point HTP370 IDE Controller on your Motherboard so make sure that your Writer is on the Secondary IDE Port and in your Bios you you should have the option to set it as 33/66/100 so make sure it is set as 33 and that Ultra DMA is enabled !!! And if you are still getting the power calibration error try some other Media as using none compatible Media sometimes causes this Message so I would suggest you try either Verbatim or TY Media and but also as MP3Mogul suggests tell us what Wattage your Power Supply is as to run one of these motherboards and CPU's you do need a high Wattage PSU I personally use 550 watt as the 300 watt PSU was just not powerfull enough to run Mine and also you do need very good vetilation !!!
I hope this Helps !!!

Speaking Without Thinking, Is Like Shooting Without Aiming !!!

(in reply to john)
Post #: 52
RE: YAMAHA CRW-F1 review is up!!! - 9/3/2002 5:58:31 PM   
perror

Hi all!

Thanks for your suggestions Laffin Assassin... You are right that I have a HPT370 on board my motherboard..but I disabled it in favour of a Promise FastTrak66 card (the highpoint was too unstable)...I guess I will have to examine the posibility that it could be a power shortage..considering I have 3 optical drives and 3 hard drives running off a 350 Watt PSU. The media I am currently using is a Verbatim...I guess I will try disconnecting some drives to see if it helps the situation...Thanks for your suggestions everyone..!I'll keep you posted..

(in reply to john)
Post #: 53
RE: YAMAHA CRW-F1 review is up!!! - 9/4/2002 5:15:40 AM   
eva2000

get a new PSU ;)

** http://i4net.tv/yamaha-crwf1/ ** my first review **

(in reply to john)
Post #: 54
RE: YAMAHA CRW-F1 review is up!!! - 9/4/2002 1:02:04 PM   
Laffin Assassin

I think you will find that MP3Mogul and myself have already Suggested that if you bothered to read our Posts !!!

(in reply to john)
Post #: 55
RE: YAMAHA CRW-F1 review is up!!! - 9/17/2002 3:47:57 PM   
perror

It's a no go guys...even after cutting down my power usage by turning off and unplugging all my optical drives and fans, the writer still refuses to respond properly....writing is almost impossible...reading is equally impossible....I changed the drive to secondary slave and still no go...firmware is now 1.0c
I used medias from Kodak, Verbatim, Nanya and CMC. All failed.
Thinking of giving the drive back to Yamaha for a check...Would really appereciate any help at this moment...

(in reply to john)
Post #: 56
RE: YAMAHA CRW-F1 review is up!!! - 9/18/2002 2:21:43 AM   
Laffin Assassin

Hi perror
The best thing I can suggest is that you return the Writer it does look like a Faulty Unit !!! But unlike some of the other Manufacturers Yamaha will exchange it for you without moaning and trying to blame you !!!
I hope this Helps !!!

(in reply to john)
Post #: 57
RE: YAMAHA CRW-F1 review is up!!! - 9/18/2002 3:31:11 AM   
perror

Hi Laffin Assassin, I will be returning the drive today. Hope that they will exchange a new one for me...I confirmed now that the drive is totally dead..it won't even eject..:(
Thanks for all your help everyone!Really appreciate it..:)

(in reply to john)
Post #: 58
RE: YAMAHA CRW-F1 review is up!!! - 9/18/2002 5:03:17 AM   
perror

I just contacted the distributor for Yamaha here in malaysia...And they refused to perform a 1 to 1 swap of the drive insisting instead that they will attempt to repair the drive...:(
According to them if the drive can be repaired here, it will take 3 days, if it cannot, it will be sent to singapore which will take an unknown amount of time to repair...:(

(in reply to john)
Post #: 59
RE: YAMAHA CRW-F1 review is up!!! - 9/18/2002 1:33:57 PM   
MP3Mogul

Perror,

Good Luck! That's why I always buy directly from Yamaha! They would have had no problem swapping the drive for you with a new unit.

LG GSA H22L Firm 1.02
Samsung SH-203N Firm SB01
LiteOn SOHD-16P9S Firm FS0D

(in reply to john)
Post #: 60
RE: YAMAHA CRW-F1 review is up!!! - 9/20/2002 11:32:10 PM   
Laffin Assassin

If it was an OEM version and you didn't buy it from Yamaha or a Yamaha Approved Dealer you may have to wait a while to get it repaired or replaced but I asure you Yamaha will sort your problem out and that is why it is always best to buy the full retail version and make sure you get a dated receipt and to always ask about the Guarantee before you buy !!!

(in reply to john)
Post #: 61
RE: YAMAHA CRW-F1 review is up!!! - 10/10/2002 5:05:07 AM   
perror

I just got back my drive from Yamaha. They replaced the head. Seems to be working well now.. Hope it won't spoil again...

(in reply to john)
Post #: 62
RE: YAMAHA CRW-F1 review is up!!! - 10/10/2002 3:08:18 PM   
Laffin Assassin

Well at least Yamaha has repaired it for you !!!

(in reply to john)
Post #: 63
RE: YAMAHA CRW-F1 review is up!!! - 10/11/2002 7:10:15 AM   
perror

Yeah...glad they did and also ahead of schedule..

(in reply to john)
Post #: 64
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> CD, DVD, BD Drives >> RE: YAMAHA CRW-F1 review is up!!! Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI