Withings (pronounced "WITH-things") is a French consumer electronics company headquartered in Issy-les-Moulineaux, France. It also has offices in Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA, and Hong Kong, and distributes its products worldwide. Withings is known for design and innovation in connected devices, such as the first Wi-Fi scale on the market (introduced in 2009), an FDA-cleared blood pressure monitor, a smart sleep system, and a line of automatic activity tracking watches. It also provides B2B solutions for healthcare providers and researchers.
Withings has a long tradition of releasing health related products and probably their well best known product is the Scale Body series that aims to give the highest possible metrics about your weight and your body stats. Today we will examine the Body + Scale, the middle category product from Withings.
Withings currently sells three series of scale products, Body, Body+ and Body Cardio. Soon we hope that Withings will also release the long awaited top end product, the Body-Scan, their most tech developed product ever. Below you can find out what the three Withings scales offer and what their main differences are as well. Their price difference is also around 40-50 euro, which makes it affordable for all user categories.
The Body+ is a Wi-Fi scale that uses patented Position Control™ technology to deliver the most accurate body composition readings (weight, body fat and water percentage, plus muscle and bone mass). Body+ provides immediate on-screen feedback and automatically synchronizes with your smartphone to display trends and help users reach their goals
- Four weight sensors
- Patent-pending body position detector
- Highly accurate weighing
- Body Composition
- Bioelectrical Impedance Analysis
- Athlete and non-athlete mode
- Unit: body fat %, total body water %, muscle mass kg or lb, bone mass kg or lb
- Automatic user recognition
- Up to 8 different users
Full body composition
Track weight, BMI, total body fat and water percentage plus bone and muscle mass.
Muscle is denser than fat, so for those who exercise regularly and see a weight increase, this may be due to adding lean muscle tissue, not fat.
Your body needs fat, but excess fat can be a risk factor for diseases like heart disease, type 2 diabetes, and high blood pressure. Understanding your weight’s relationship to body fat puts you at an advantage in your journey to better health.
Being well-hydrated may help improve focus, sports performance, and general well-being. Additionally, monitoring total body water both before and after physical activity can help identify how much water was lost so athletes can fully rehydrate their bodies.
Bone mass may not vary much in the short term, but it is important to track bone mass over time to look for changes in the long term.
Weight trend screen
Displays a graph with the previous 8 measurements, as well as the difference between the latest measurement and the one before.
Recognizes and tracks up to 8 users, and includes breakthrough solutions for parents and pregnant women. With Baby Mode, parents can track their child’s weight by simply stepping on the scale while holding their baby, and Pregnancy Tracker gives personalized guidance with obstetrician reviewed advice, tips, and personalized weight tracking.
Automatic Wi-Fi or Bluetooth® synchronization
Every weigh-in appears on your smartphone in the Health Mate™ app.
Health Mate™ coaches users with personalized advice and encouragement to help them reach their objectives.
Local weather forecast
When the scale is connected over Wi-Fi, it will provide a daily local weather forecast to help users plan their outfit and the day’s activities
When paired with a Withings activity tracker or the built-in Health Mate™ step tracking, the scale can display the previous day’s steps to help users understand how their efforts impact weight.
Get support during pregnancy with obstetrician-reviewed wellness advice and personalized weight tracking.
Accurately weigh even the smallest member of your family. Baby Mode empowers parents to easily keep an accurate diary of their child’s growth simply by stepping on the scale while holding their baby in their arms.
Athletes generally have a different body type which requires a specific fat mass calcdivation algorithm. By activating this mode, you make sure to get the most accurate body composition data
- App: Withings Health Mate is the best way to keep track of activity, sleep, weight, and more. You’ll see trends, progress, and get coaching to help you improve over time. Whatever your health goal, you’ll find support for it in the Health Mate app. Body+ can be installed on a smartphone or a tablet, via the Health Mate app available on iOS (iOS 14 and higher) and Android (8.0 and higher). Cannot be set up from a computer
- Best-in-class accuracy via Position Control™ technology, a patented body position detector
- Four weight sensors. Weighing range: 5 -> 180kg (9 -> 396lb), 100g (0.2lb) graduation and Units: kg, lb, st lb
- Stores up to 16 readings if scale cannot sync wirelessly
- Wireless Sync: WiFi 802.11 b/g/n, compatible with WEP/WPA/WPA2-personal networks / Bluetooth connectivity (Bluetooth Smart Ready)
- Large, easy-on-the-eye graphical display (2.4”x1.6”), 128x64 pixels, High-contrast lighting
- Free and unlimited online storage of weight readings
- Battery: 4x 1.5V Alkaline cells (AAA)
- Dimensions: 12.8 x 12.8 x 0.9 in. / 327x327x23mm
- Ultra slim design, Large, high-strength tempered glass platform, Paint-free satin white casing
- Average battery life: up to 18 months
- Price: White & Black, £99.95