2. Retail package
Users can buy the Asus Xonar D2 at the retail price of €170. The price is not low and directly competitive with other solutions from Creative Labs and other manufacturers.
The retail package is mid-sized and includes an array of supported audio technology logos on the front.
The package contents are carefully enclosed in a plastic shell to protect the card during transportation:
The retail package includes, one CD-ROM with drivers and software, and a DVD-Video disc with Virtual Dolby Surround demo. A printed manual is also included:
A number of cables are also included:
- 4x 3.5mm-to-RCA adaptor cable (8ch)
- 2x S/PDIF optical adaptors
- 1xS/PDIF optical cable
Additional MIDI card, cable, and external standard MIDI adaptor Y cable is also present.
The card is in the main.. black! At least the colour of the metal shell that surrounds the card and protects it from electromagnetic interference is black. You need a PCI slot to install the card.
On the outputs, there are many jacks available:
- Analog Output Jack: 3.50mm mini jack *4 (Front/Side/Center-Subwoofer/Back)
- Analog Input Jack: 3.50mm mini jack *2 (Line-In/Mic-In)
- Digital S/PDIF Output: Coaxial and High-bandwidth Optical Combo Connector, supports 192KHz/24bit
- Digital S/PDIF Input: Coaxial and High-bandwidth Optical Combo Connector, supports 192KHz/24bit
Most of the outputs are backlit and in the dark, a nice effect is produced, although we didn't particularly like it:
At the top of the card, there are three 4-pin headers for CD-In, Aux-In and MIDI.
At the bottom and bottom right, we can see the AV200 Audio processor and the various Dolby/DTS logos etched on the card: