CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

CRW-F1 and CAV/CLV writing quality   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1797 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> CD, DVD, BD Drives >> Writing Quality >> CRW-F1 and CAV/CLV writing quality Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
CRW-F1 and CAV/CLV writing quality - 4/13/2003 2:22:15 PM   
binary0110

I've always wondered whether there is any difference in writing quality when using different writing strategies with the Yamaha CRW-F1 (or any other drive, for that matter). Since I don't have a Lite-on, it isn't easy for me to do my own C1/C2 error tests so I wondered if anyone has already had any experience:

Would you achieve better writing quality (on a high quality CDR such as Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim DatalifePlus) if you wrote to the disc at 16x CLV or if you wrote to the disc at 44x CAV (with OWC enabled) all the way to the end of an 80min CDR?

According to the CDRInfo.com review of the CRW-F1, writing at full CAV acheives better writing quality than CLV becase the spindle rotation speed is always constant (http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Articles/Specific.asp?ArticleHeadline=YAMAHA+CRW%2DF1E+CD%2DRW&index=0). If this is the case, why don't CD-writers give the option of writing to discs at full CAV but at a lower rotational speed rather than just giving the option to write at CLV (when using lower writing speeds - see the charts below).

Both writing strategies achieve the same average burn speed, but which one would achieve better writing quality?

Thanks,

Binary0110
Post #: 1
RE: CRW-F1 and CAV/CLV writing quality - 4/13/2003 3:39:10 PM   
ant_

It is harder to control the rotation speed accurately when you have high transfer rates under CLV. The high rotation needed (if it is achieved)would possibly produce high vibrations to the pickup, which are always a reason for lower writing /reading quality. Thus, CLV is used for writing speeds which are up to 16x for example.

Writing under CAV just allows writing smoothly procceed without the need for complicated rotation speed control.

As for the writing quality, it is not always sure CAV offers the best results, but it is the best approach when you write at high speeds.

(in reply to binary0110)
Post #: 2
RE: CRW-F1 and CAV/CLV writing quality - 4/13/2003 5:12:59 PM   
Matthew

The downside to CAV - as against CLV and even zone-CLV, is the calibration is constantly varying.

In plain ordinary CLV, the first calibration can be made using the PCA at the start, and then running OPC (Optimum Power Calibration) only has to compensate for any deviations.

Presumably in CAV mode, the first assumption must be that the laser power increases linearly with speed, in order to maintain the same amount of exposure.

It IS possible, that maintaning a stable rotational speed allows a better mechanical balance, but this is aginst the extra demands on the optical and electronic sides.

(in reply to binary0110)
Post #: 3
RE: CRW-F1 and CAV/CLV writing quality - 4/13/2003 8:22:07 PM   
binary0110

So if I understand this correctly, the downside of CLV is that the rotational speed has to be precisely controlled (otherwise you'll get errors) and the downside of CAV is that the laser power has to be precisely controlled (otherwise you'll get errors).

I suppose I'll have to run writing quality tests to determine how writing quality changes whether the strategy is CLV or CAV once I get my hands on a Lite-on CD-RW drive. From what both of you have said, it looks like there probably isn't any merit in deliberately writing to a high quality disc (like TYs) at a lower CLV write speed to try and increase writing quality.

Binary0110

(in reply to binary0110)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> CD, DVD, BD Drives >> Writing Quality >> CRW-F1 and CAV/CLV writing quality Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI