CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Bad Burn or DVD player?   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1075 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [PC hardware] >> General Hardware Issues >> Bad Burn or DVD player? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Bad Burn or DVD player? - 12/22/2004 3:18:49 PM   
Shmrck

I have a NEC-2500 and have burned quite a few movies. All of them work fine when replayed on my computer. However, I recently played a movie on my main home theater setup. Everything worked fine until roughtly an hour or so into the movie.

This has happened on more than one movie from a burned DVD.

It started to artifact and audio jumped till it eventually froze completely. I tried to advance the chapter and it would not move at all. I tossed it up to a bad burn and was going to throw the disc away. But I tried it on my PC and there were no issues. I then tried the movie on my main setup again at the same "issue" part of the movie and it worked fine.

So is the burn bad? Does my DVD players/laser get tired and kick out? Is it the DVD player itself and I need a new one?

I copy my movies with Nero at 4x.

any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

EJ
Post #: 1
RE: Bad Burn or DVD player? - 12/22/2004 11:09:32 PM   
tqhoang

Which firmware are you running on it?

M$ Windows XP SP2
ASUS A7V8X BIOS 1015.003
AthlonXP Barton 3000+
NVIDIA GeForce 7600GT AGP
LiteOn SOHD-16P9S Fw FS0J
NEC ND-2100A@2510A Fw 2.0A
NEC ND-6750A Fw 2.42
NEC AD-7170A Fw 1.O4
Plextor Premium Fw 1.07
Plextor PX-716UF Fw 1.11

(in reply to Shmrck)
Post #: 2
RE: Bad Burn or DVD player? - 12/23/2004 8:04:52 AM   
Iggy

What media did you tried?

(in reply to tqhoang)
Post #: 3
RE: Bad Burn or DVD player? - 12/23/2004 3:04:57 PM   
Shmrck

Let's see. To answer both questions:

1. I am using the 1.07 firmware

2. I am using Ridata 4x DVD+R

Hope this helps. Any ideas?

(in reply to Iggy)
Post #: 4
RE: Bad Burn or DVD player? - 12/27/2004 2:36:52 PM   
Shmrck

Any updates or additional input?

I hope my home theater DVD players is just old and I just need to get a new one. I rather that than go through all my DVD's to find out they were all burnt badly and there is something wrong with the NEC.

(in reply to Shmrck)
Post #: 5
RE: Bad Burn or DVD player? - 12/27/2004 3:34:50 PM   
_copycat_

I'm having the same problem only it is also happening on my Lite-on SOHW-832s and the stuttering and freezing doesn't always happen in the same spot. Also, when the movie freezes I checked Task Mgr. and noticed that the player (Power DVD) showed "not responding". The media I am using is Memorex. Is it possible that the problem could be audio related and not video? Why does power DVD stop responding, is that normal when playback encounters a problem and why isn't the backup software detecting a problem while writing?

Pentium 4E 3.0
D875PBZ Mainboard
1 Gig memory
nVidia GeForce FX 5950 video card
Audigy 2 ZS platinum pro audiocard

If it will help to have a DX Diag. then I will attach it here, let me know.

I know the answer must be in here somewhere*#&%*...but where?...#%*&%#

(in reply to Shmrck)
Post #: 6
RE: Bad Burn or DVD player? - 12/29/2004 12:21:36 AM   
tqhoang

Which version of Nero are you running? It could be that if this happens with all of your movies.

Do you have any other DVD+/-R media to try?

M$ Windows XP SP2
ASUS A7V8X BIOS 1015.003
AthlonXP Barton 3000+
NEC ND-6750A Fw 2.42
NEC AD-7170A Fw 1.O4
Plextor Premium Fw 1.07
Plextor PX-716UF Fw 1.11

(in reply to Shmrck)
Post #: 7
RE: Bad Burn or DVD player? - 12/29/2004 4:34:43 AM   
_copycat_

Hello tqhoang! I have Nero 6.6, but I usually just use DVD Decrypter and Shrink DVD. I think my problem might be worse than I originaly thought because now I can't play any DVD's original or backups for more than a few minutes and they start to stutter and soon after freeze. Then I have to 'end task' in task mgr. This happens with both of my drives. I'm not really sure where to start to pinpoint the problem

(in reply to tqhoang)
Post #: 8
RE: Bad Burn or DVD player? - 12/29/2004 3:23:16 PM   
Shmrck

I dont have any other media to try. What I find odd is the problem only occurs after I watch a burnt movie for in excess of an hour. If I shut the DVD player off and come back after 5 minutes and bring it back to the same spot as the previous problem, the picture comes in fine.

That is why I was thinking it might be the DVD player. But if it is the DVD player, why wouldnt the same thing happen on the originals as well?

EJ

(in reply to tqhoang)
Post #: 9
RE: Bad Burn or DVD player? - 12/29/2004 3:53:19 PM   
tqhoang

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shmrck

I dont have any other media to try. What I find odd is the problem only occurs after I watch a burnt movie for in excess of an hour. If I shut the DVD player off and come back after 5 minutes and bring it back to the same spot as the previous problem, the picture comes in fine.

That is why I was thinking it might be the DVD player. But if it is the DVD player, why wouldnt the same thing happen on the originals as well?

EJ

What's the internal case temperature of you computer? I remember having some problems with my Plextor CDRW when my case temp reached 39C (case is now 23C). It was a combination of a hot room w/o AC during the summer.

M$ Windows XP SP2
ASUS A7V8X BIOS 1015.003
AthlonXP Barton 3000+
NEC ND-6750A Fw 2.42
NEC AD-7170A Fw 1.O4
Plextor Premium Fw 1.07
Plextor PX-716UF Fw 1.11

(in reply to Shmrck)
Post #: 10
RE: Bad Burn or DVD player? - 12/29/2004 3:57:07 PM   
Shmrck

Well the DVD player I use to play it on was the one in my home theater. Its a toshiba stand-alone. That is the one that as the artifacts after playing it for an hour or so on burnt DVD's. When I play the very same DVD on my computer, it works fine. Or when I come back in a few minutes and play it on the stand-alone again at the same point, it works fine then.

(in reply to tqhoang)
Post #: 11
RE: Bad Burn or DVD player? - 12/30/2004 3:40:48 AM   
fernandes

could it be that ur stand alone has the problem?
check this out...even if it's compatible and plays fine with pressed media...it might be having probs with copies...try out some more media...
in my opinion...ur stand alone kicked the bucket..

(in reply to Shmrck)
Post #: 12
RE: Bad Burn or DVD player? - 12/30/2004 1:05:26 PM   
Shmrck

quote:

ORIGINAL: fernandes

check this out...even if it's compatible and plays fine with pressed media...it might be having probs with copies...try out some more media...

Well that is the response I was hoping for. So, its not out of the ordinary that an original DVD would be able to play fine but the copied version combined with a dying DVD player will cause the DVD player to make the movie artifact and freeze?

EJ

(in reply to fernandes)
Post #: 13
RE: Bad Burn or DVD player? - 12/30/2004 7:09:45 PM   
_copycat_

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shmrck

quote:

ORIGINAL: fernandes

quote:

Well that is the response I was hoping for. So, its not out of the ordinary that an original DVD would be able to play fine but the copied version combined with a dying DVD player will cause the DVD player to make the movie artifact and freeze?

I don't understand That would mean that the backup isn't as good as the original in so far as the ability to playback on players that support the very same media type??? The quality of the video could be diluted some what depending on the settings used to burn, but the integrity of the format or it's ability to be played back I would think should be just as stable as the original.Before you go out and buy a new DVD player, buy a small desktop or clip on fan (only about $6 or $7u.s.) and aim it towards the vents on the side or the back of the player. I've read that the ventilation on a lot of DVD players and XBOX and PS2's is not good at all. A lot of over heating problems!
That's my two cents. But what do I know

(in reply to Shmrck)
Post #: 14
RE: Bad Burn or DVD player? - 12/30/2004 9:51:47 PM   
Shmrck

Well I understand what you are saying. But even if it overheats, why would it work fine on the original DVD? And if it could be the burned DVD, why would that same DVD work fine if the DVD player has a chance to breath for a minute? I'm just confused.

I dont mind buying another DVD player. Maybe I should try other media DVD too. Any other ideas?

(in reply to _copycat_)
Post #: 15
RE: Bad Burn or DVD player? - 1/1/2005 3:08:13 PM   
_copycat_

That's a good idea,trying a different media. Sometimes it's a real challenge to find just the right media for both a standalone player and a DVD drive. Still the added air circulation may extend the life of your standalone player. Another thing that is usually over looked is dust. If you remove the outside case and blow it out with a can of compressed air (carefully), that may solve future problems. I know this doesn't solve the problem of why the original playes and not the backup. Sorry.
Also, avoid cheap standalone players,I hear the are very 'media type' pickey.

(in reply to Shmrck)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [PC hardware] >> General Hardware Issues >> Bad Burn or DVD player? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI