CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Upgrade to new machine or not   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1506 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [PC hardware] >> General Hardware Issues >> Upgrade to new machine or not Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Upgrade to new machine or not - 12/7/2004 11:28:45 AM   
rxfrank

I have a PIII 600 with about 700Meg ram. I use it to surf the web, download info, e-mail and some typing. I am happy with the machine. Now I am backuping a few DVDs (movie) using DVDShrink, including burning (with Nero and a 8X media) for a straight DVD5 (or just the movie) to DVD-R with decoding only, it takes less than 1 hr for each burn+decoding. The decoding is only 30 minutes or so. But when I go to DVD9 and do a compression, the decoding and compression takes from 1 hour to 2 hour depending on the movie. the buring is not a problem - about 10 minutes with 8x media.

If I upgarde to P4 3ghz, will the time for compression and decoding decrease significantly?

Can someone post their time for doing a full disc compression using dvdshrink and the machine type, and movie title, so I can do some comparisons.

If the time saving is not significant, I will stick with the PIII.

Thanks
Post #: 1
RE: Upgrade to new machine or not - 12/8/2004 3:44:02 AM   
Iggy

I used to have a P4 2.4Ghz FSB533 with DDR1. I needed almost 18 minutes for the compression process, at 69% quality and 6.3Gb of movie.

Now I just got a P4 3.0 775 with DDR2. For the same task I need 10 minutes.

The deep analysis, if you used this, it took me another 18 minutes in the old system while now only 9 minutes.

So I think the difference is not only large but something even more.

(in reply to rxfrank)
Post #: 2
RE: Upgrade to new machine or not - 12/8/2004 8:53:38 AM   
rxfrank

What a big difference. I should start thinking to upgrade my machine. 1 to 2 hours down to 10 to 20 minutes is a big difference.

Thanks Iggy for the info. BTW what motherboard are you using?

(in reply to Iggy)
Post #: 3
RE: Upgrade to new machine or not - 12/8/2004 9:34:41 AM   
Iggy

Both m/bs are fro Gigabyte. The previous system was a 478 with 845 chipset while the new one is 775 with 915 chipset.

However the point is how much money are you willing to spent. Don't try to get the best, there are value for money solutions.

(in reply to rxfrank)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [PC hardware] >> General Hardware Issues >> Upgrade to new machine or not Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI