CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Secondary IDE Channel Gone   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1750 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [PC hardware] >> General Hardware Issues >> Secondary IDE Channel Gone Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Secondary IDE Channel Gone - 12/4/2004 4:12:37 PM   
nelle

I was upgrading the firmware on my DVD ROM drive - Dell's version of the Liteon 163 - and the flash went bad; the system froze. After that my system won't recognize any drive on the secondary IDE channel. I've swapped the cable and same problem. I know that a bad flash can screw up the drive, but would it have damaged the motherboard as well? Thanks.
Post #: 1
RE: Secondary IDE Channel Gone - 12/4/2004 5:51:48 PM   
MarkA

Hi,

Try shutting your machine down completely. Turn off the power and unplug the power cord. After a few seconds, restart your computer. If this doesn't work, you can try setting your motherboard to setup defaults and then go from there. Often, powering down will reset your machine.

Mark

(in reply to nelle)
Post #: 2
RE: Secondary IDE Channel Gone - 12/4/2004 6:01:53 PM   
nelle

Thanks- the IDE channel is now showing up in device manager, but not the drives - I connected two drives that I know are OK. Maybe I had better change the cable again.

(in reply to MarkA)
Post #: 3
RE: Secondary IDE Channel Gone - 12/4/2004 8:04:53 PM   
nelle

It's back - but my drives only show as PIO 4 (should be UDMA 2) and there's no option to change DMA mode in Device Manager - the Advanced tab is gone. It looks like the Intel drivers installed instead of the standard Microsoft IDE drivers, which I was using before with one of the drives that is now PIO 4. Could someone tell me how to get the Microsoft drivers instead - if I remove the Secondary channel the Intel drivers just install again.

(in reply to nelle)
Post #: 4
RE: Secondary IDE Channel Gone - 12/5/2004 8:18:27 AM   
MP3Mogul

If you are using WinXP just go into device manager, and roll back the drivers.

(in reply to nelle)
Post #: 5
RE: Secondary IDE Channel Gone - 12/6/2004 8:38:37 AM   
nelle

I reinstalled Windows and no matter what I do devices on the secondary IDE channel appear as PIO 4 - including a new NEC 3500. Now I'm starting to get desperate - just a few days ago, all devices on that channel were UDMA 2. I have uninstalled the channel, rebooted etc. - I would appreciate any help anyone can provide. Thanks.

(in reply to MP3Mogul)
Post #: 6
RE: Secondary IDE Channel Gone - 12/6/2004 6:50:15 PM   
MP3Mogul

Check your computer's BIOS settings and make sure DMA or UDMA is enabled there.

(in reply to nelle)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [PC hardware] >> General Hardware Issues >> Secondary IDE Channel Gone Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI