CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Date stamp in file copy on XP   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1173 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage Software] >> CD/DVD Authoring >> Packet Writing >> Date stamp in file copy on XP Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Date stamp in file copy on XP - 2/15/2003 3:29:36 PM   
dmtoddma

Using Direct CD 5.3.2.34 when I copy files to the CDRW on my new XP machine, the date/time stamp is set to the time of the copy. I use these disks to synchronize home and work files and this makes that almost impossible. I've seen messages on the Roxio forum suggesting that this is a DirectCD problem. I wouldn't mind switching to InCD but would like to know that the same problem doesn't just occur there, because I understand there have been problems with InCD on XP. From the Nero web site, it looks like they are claiming XP compatibility for the latest version (3.5.30.0b) for the first time?

Anyway, is this a DirectCD specific problem (rather than a general XP one with any packet writing software)?

If InCD would solve this problem is it stable enough under XP to switch?

Thanks.

David
Post #: 1
RE: Date stamp in file copy on XP - 2/15/2003 6:37:25 PM   
dmtoddma

Decided to go ahead, uninstall DirectCD and install InCD on the XP (with SP-1) machine and I get the 0 bytes free problem. Tried checking the various file and registry conflicts that have been posted and no luck. Can't even test to see if the timestamp problem occurs with InCD!

David Todd
Amherst, MA

(in reply to dmtoddma)
Post #: 2
RE: Date stamp in file copy on XP - 2/16/2003 2:43:50 PM   
KCK

The only problem with date/time stamping for InCD under XP occurs when the same disc is used on boxes with earlier versions of Windows and different time zones or daylight saving policies. In fact InCD is not the culprit, since the same problem occurs when synchronizing hard discs of networked computers. Apparently one way out of this difficulty could be to switch off daylight saving and keep the same time zones, shifting them manually twice a year.

I have been using consecutive versions of InCD under XP since August '02 without any major problems, and all these versions were compatible with XP according to both Ahead's announcements and users' reports.

In most cases difficulties with InCD under XP are not due to InCD itself, but to poor media and conflicts with drivers installed by other burning programs and plugins, especially those coming from Adaptec/Roxio.

To get InCD running properly on your box, you would have to provide more detailed information about burning software installed now and in the past, as well as decribe precisely your experiments. For instance, I don't know if you have EasyCD Creator and/or Nero installed, what the "0 bytes free problem" means, whether you formatted a fresh disc or an erased disc, etc.

To haunt for conflicting drivers, you should take a look at the InCD troubleshooting guide for XP

http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=43689#43689

and the related (a bit fuller) version for W2K

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=60163

Run the dir commands described in the first link above and post the results here. Moreover, if you are running Nero, extract the initial system information section and the final "Existing Drivers" section from the Nero log file (look in C:\Program Files\Ahead\Nero) and post it. What does Nero InfoTool say about your ASPI layers?

(in reply to dmtoddma)
Post #: 3
RE: Date stamp in file copy on XP - 5/8/2003 6:25:56 AM   
tempman

im having the same problem with windows 2000 & roxio & it writes over the original creation of file date with the date & time that the files are being backed up. is this a roxio problem?

(in reply to dmtoddma)
Post #: 4
RE: Date stamp in file copy on XP - 5/8/2003 7:49:45 AM   
KCK

Maybe this bug has been eliminated in the latest versions; try upgrading.

(in reply to dmtoddma)
Post #: 5
RE: Date stamp in file copy on XP - 5/8/2003 2:08:22 PM   
dmtoddma

This problem has in fact been fixed in Creator 6.

David Todd
Amherst, MA

(in reply to dmtoddma)
Post #: 6
RE: Date stamp in file copy on XP - 5/9/2003 2:52:42 AM   
tempman

i upgraded the enginefrom vession 5 to version 6, but it wouldnt let me upgrade the creator file. do i have to purchase version 6 now? I already paid around $100 canadian i guess i cant use that towards the upgrade can i?

(in reply to dmtoddma)
Post #: 7
RE: Date stamp in file copy on XP - 5/9/2003 3:30:18 PM   
dmtoddma

No free upgrade.

David Todd
Amherst, MA

(in reply to dmtoddma)
Post #: 8
RE: Date stamp in file copy on XP - 5/9/2003 3:32:03 PM   
dmtoddma

Actually, FWIW, version 6 has been rock solid for me (though there are many features I haven't used--mostly I use "creator classic" and the replacement for Direct CT). Seems very stable and well-designed to me.

David

David Todd
Amherst, MA

(in reply to dmtoddma)
Post #: 9
RE: Date stamp in file copy on XP - 5/18/2003 2:49:55 AM   
KCK

I've just heard that the date problem has been fixed in v5.3.5!

(in reply to dmtoddma)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Optical Storage Software] >> CD/DVD Authoring >> Packet Writing >> Date stamp in file copy on XP Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI