CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: NEC 6500 official firmware overview 26/10/2004 Updated!   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1066 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> Firmware >> NEC >> RE: NEC 6500 official firmware overview 26/10/2004 Updated! Page: <<   < prev  16 17 [18] 19 20   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: NEC 6500 official firmware overview 26/10/2004 Upda... - 9/5/2005 4:46:35 AM   
becool

michaelc
Wow thankyou so much michaelc i got the adaptor yesterday from maplins and i done it all is back to normal and it was very easy i was so stressed and worried that we had broke my wifes new laptop it would have cost me a fortune to get new drive thanks mate, it still wont burn these infiniti discs though what do you mean bitset the dvd do you mean change booktype to rom or +r or so on if so i tried that and still dont work thanks again mate. 

(in reply to michaelc)
Post #: 273
RE: NEC 6500 official firmware overview 26/10/2004 Upda... - 9/9/2005 6:21:54 AM   
michaelc

becool,
Yes, By 'Bitset' I was talking about changing the booktype on the DVD+R disks so they are recoganized as DVD-ROM disks.  I don't burn duel layer disks because of the high cost.  Check around the forums, I'm sure someone will let you know which brand duel layer disks work best.

(in reply to becool)
Post #: 274
RE: NEC 6500 official firmware overview 26/10/2004 Upda... - 9/19/2005 3:39:28 PM   
crispytreat

I have used the Reverse ATA process and that has work fine.  Due to a system change I need to revert back to the Normal ATA, but the normal.zip package is not working.  I get an error when I run 6500boot.bat  "unknown command".  I took a look at the bat file and it refers to BT6100R0 but the zip contains a file named BT6100N0.  I updated the bat file and reran the program, it states that my drive has the latest firmware (I am using 4.24) and no changes are made.  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated, because my drive is no good to me in the current state.

Thanks

(in reply to michaelc)
Post #: 275
Try this.. - 9/30/2005 4:18:04 PM   
danyboy

I have edited your post due to the illegal material it was included.

Please do not post such messages.

The admin...

< Message edited by minos -- 10/3/2005 7:09:16 AM >

(in reply to emperor)
Post #: 276
RE: NEC 6500 official firmware overview 26/10/2004 Upda... - 10/1/2005 12:49:57 PM   
dtaelon

I need some help.  So, I'll try and be as clear as possible.

(Aside from the very first firmware change, all remaining FW changes were done on a desktop PC with adpater)

- I have the NEC ND-6500 slim drive for my Dell c840 Latitude running the 2.23 firmware.
- I made a very stupid move in a hasty double-click and updated the firmware to 4.24 instead of 2.24.
- The laptop would not recognize the DVD drive nor the harddrive as long as the DVD was attached.
- The laptop refused to recognize the drive even if I disconnected the harddrive.
- I reinstalled the CD drive I had originally replaced with the ND-6500 and all was working.
- So, I ordered the slimline adapter and was able to boot the ND-6500 attached to the desktop.
- I read the entire forum and tried a 2.23 firmware change through windows
- The process hung for 10 minutes and I rebooted.
- I tried DOS booting and updated with Reverse ATA 6500Boot.bat (had to use manual routine)
- The drive booted with ND-6100 0.01 Firmware but would not eject and constantly flashed the light
- The 6500Main.bat code gave me error "Firmware not changed correctly.
- I then was able to upgrade to 2.23 firmware through windows and reboot.
- I tried the drive in the laptop and still no recognition and the same problem as above with 4.24 FW
- I the tried Normal ATA package and got a message saying the drive is already Normal ATA
- At this point I tried to test whether I could update to any 2.xx firmware
- I wanted to check if FW was corrupt
- I tried 2.24, 2.23 back and forth at least three times, and had no problems.
- The laptop refuses to see the drive in the BIOS and will not allow the HDD to boot if the drive is attached
- Hotswapping freezes the laptop

So, the problem?

Obviously I changed the bootcode in the firmware from cable select to something that forces the drive to behave in a particular manner.  I want to be able to use the drive in the laptop.  At this point, I am unable to do that.

Is there any code that will return the drive to the original factory firmware?  If not, then where did the original 6500boot.bat and 6500main.bat code from?  because, I believe that if the cable select code exists, then someone out there knows where to get it.  I would really really appreciate any help in this regard.  I know I screwed up and you can laugh at me all you want, but I'm still left with a laptop drive that I can only use in my desktop. At best, I will find a slimline drive enclosure and try using the drive as a portable drive - but only as a last resort.

Please, HELP!

(in reply to danyboy)
Post #: 277
RE: NEC 6500 official firmware overview 26/10/2004 Upda... - 10/13/2005 10:03:34 AM   
AIN

Hi guys,

I've got a Fujitsu-Siemens Lifebook laptop with a NEC 6500A removable drive inside. The firmware version is 2.57 (still wonder, is it the newest or not?).

My main problem is that I NEED to write audio CDRs at the lowest speed possible (4x) , but the burning software (Roxio, Nero) allows to use 8x as the lowest speed only. Is it possible to get the 4x write speed available by any other soft or a firmware update? Did anybody face the same problem?

(in reply to dtaelon)
Post #: 278
RE: NEC 6500 official firmware overview 26/10/2004 Upda... - 10/15/2005 5:26:04 AM   
kuken

I have Compaq Armada E500 & Nec 6500...i want upgrade firmware in Nec, how can I check in Win XP how is connected my Nec....master or slave? It's very stupid problem, but bios in my compaq is very simple...I can't find any options in XP...maybe some another tools? 

(in reply to AIN)
Post #: 279
RE: NEC 6500A Flashing back to NORMAL ATA - 10/20/2005 12:12:07 AM   
MikeG

I have the same situation here. I have two 6500A burners, both are reversed using Liggy's downloads...but due to a system change I too need to convert one of them back to normal for use in a slim desktop.

You're right the "Normal" 6500BOOT.BAT has a typo, it calls a BT6100R0 and there is no such file, so I renamed the BT6100N0 to BT6100R0 and then it still wouldn't work.

The reason for that I suspect is that I too flashed to bin 424..and if you look closely the 6500BOOT.BAT for conversion to Normal ATA is looking for version 421.

So I will flash to version 421 tomorrow and rerun.  Hopefully that should be the end of these shenannigans (until the next time ;-} )

Mike

(in reply to crispytreat)
Post #: 280
RE: NEC 6500 official firmware overview 26/10/2004 Upda... - 10/26/2005 5:34:25 AM   
sostenon250

I've read through this particular thread in regards to the NEC 6500 and still couldn't find the answer to my particular issue.
I have a Lat 600D with a NEC 6100 that's been flashed to a 6500 using the Dangerous Brothers firmware update to version 2.2.  I can verify that my machine sees it as a nec 6500 from the device manager.
Here's my problem:
I wanted to see if burning dual layer disks were possible.  I have no problems with either DVD-R or DVD+R or cds.  I tried to use Verbatim Dual Layers DVDs and Nero 6, which does support DL burning.  I received an error.  I then reflashed the firmware to 2.4 from the Dangerous Brothers site.  This time, Nero sees that I have a DL layer disk but still cannot record onto the blank DL DVD.  I also realize that the 2.4 is an older firmware upgrade to 2.23 or 2.24.  So the question is should reflash again using 2.23 or should I go with 2.24 and will this solve my problem.

(in reply to becool)
Post #: 281
RE: NEC 6500 official firmware overview 26/10/2004 Upda... - 10/29/2005 5:24:26 PM   
sostenon250

Update: Ok, I figured out the question of Can a 6100 that was flashed to a 6500A burned dual layer dvd disks.  The answer is YES, it can but so far I only tried it for DL+R since I couldn't find locally DL-R and as long as I can get 8.5 gb of media onto a DVD, I really don't care.  For those that will come after me, here's a bit of history.

I have a Dell Latitude D600, that has a a Dothan 2.0 Pentium M and is software modded to go to around 2.1 -2.2 ghz.  It's tricky and it does get hot so unless I'm running some serious virtual machines that need some speed I don't enable this mode too often. I also have one of those Hitache 7200 rpm drives so it feels like I've got an easy bake oven at times.  I was so close to scrap it and go to Newegg and buy the nec 6650 and be done with the whole situation but decided to see this issue to the end. Around 11-2004, I read on the forums of the Dangeous Brothers that it is possible to turn your 6100 into a 6500A so that you will be able to burn both +/- DVD but couldn't remember absolutely whether you could burn DL.  I thought you could.  Ok, just a few weeks ago, I got the urge to see what new firmware was out there for the nec 6500A and there was quite a host of updates.  I had originally flashed the 6100 with 2.2.  I didn't read carefully this time around and flashed with 2.40 not realizing that this wasn't the latest and greatest.  In fact, it dates around 10-2004.  I also thought that the verbatim DL that I was using were not compatible but after reading around people have the general consensus that this media is around reliable.  So, using Nero 6.0.1.6 I kept getting errors.  Next step was to flash to 2.23.  Everything looked good, burned DVD-/+R but it failed at DL+R once again.  I got the flash from Dangerous Brothers again.  Speed things forward to today, I went to Liggy's site, got the 2.24 FAST bin and flashed once more, thinking, ok, if it doesn't work, I'm putting in my Newegg order.  Amazingly, I put in the Verbatim DL+R, and it started burning and the speed was impressive.  It took about 29 mins to burn 7 gbs of data that is if it was truly going at 2.4 speed.  I have heard that the speed output shown may not be accurate.  So for the short term of things, I think I'll stick with this drive for awhile until DL media gets cheaper and I need a faster drive.

Hope this helps

(in reply to sostenon250)
Post #: 282
RE: NEC ND-6500A official firmware overview - 11/24/2005 11:18:07 AM   
wwg

Hello, i have a Compaq Presario notebook with buildin NEC ND-6450A firmware 2.36 (1.0.0.0).

Is it possible to upgrade this burner so i can use DL ???

I have already the binflash program, so could anyone send me the needed (BIN)firmware ???

Thanks, wwg

(in reply to petreco)
Post #: 283
RE: NEC ND-6500A official firmware overview - 11/28/2005 10:59:54 AM   
King Arthur

Hi all,
I’m new in this forum and this is my first technical message.
I’ve a problem and so, please, I need your invaluable help
My problem is a Nec ND 6450a (it’s in my notebook Hp Pavilion ZE4932ea; one of these days, if you like, I’ll tell you my…story…with Hp products…!) and it doesn’t work perfectly on music cd.
I try to explain the situation: everything is ok when I have to manage (write, copy, etc.) video or data on both dvd and cd, but I cannot say the same when I want to do a backup copy of a music cd; in fact, 4 tracks at least result damaged on the copy (usually, from 3rd to 7th): a home/car hi-fi cannot read them or it skips; moreover, I get different performance on different players: for instance, my hi-fi cannot play these tracks, while a newer one has less problem…but the track is clearly imperfect! Of course, I can play normally these tracks on my pc…  
So, I read all the information about Nec players on this forum and, according to it, I flashed my player: now it is a ND 6500 and it keeps working fine on video and data…but I still have some trouble with music cd; I have to underline that, in my opinion, the situation it’s probably better than before: just a couple of tracks damaged (same problems!) instead of 4 at least; but I would like to solve the problem completely…
I have Nero 6: so, if I’m right, it’s useless to try to replace the “mp3PRO.dll” file.
Before flashing my player, I tried to use some other software (e.g.: Easy Cd Creator): always the same result…
Please, could you help me? I cannot understand what else I could do…
Thnx a lot in advance!

(in reply to emperor)
Post #: 284
RE: NEC ND-6500A official firmware overview - 11/29/2005 2:51:09 AM   
problemchild

WWG,

Use liggy's 2.24 Fast firmware. It worked on my 6450 (compaq 3470). I tried alot of FW's and no others worked.

(in reply to King Arthur)
Post #: 285
RE: NEC 6500 official firmware overview 26/10/2004 Upda... - 1/7/2006 6:00:37 AM   
h.xman

Hallo,
first of all, I am sorry for my English.
My problem is: I have got Nec ND-6500A with Multibay-adaptor. It came like primary-master but I need to set it like primary slave. I have got laptop Compaq Armada M700 and there is no master/slave setting in bios. When I put Nec ND-6500A to Multibay slot, I get "1782-Disk Controller Failure" and it does not boot. I also have got USB External Multibay Cradle - when I put NEC ND6500A in it - it works. But I need to use ti in Multibay. So I decided to use NEC ND6500A Reverse ATA firmware package. But it does not work. When I run necflash.exe -scan, I get this:
Device: 0.0.0.
Vendor: _NEC
Model: DVD+-RW ND-6500A
Firmware: 2.24

But when I try to run 6500boot.bat, I get message "NEC DRIVE ND-6500A is NOT found"
Strange is that there is sticker ND-6650A on this drive. What can I believe - necflash or sticker?

Has anybody got an idea what to do?
It would be very appreciated.
Thank you very much, Honza.

(in reply to becool)
Post #: 286
RE: NEC 6500 official firmware overview 26/10/2004 Upda... - 1/9/2006 9:40:47 AM   
nelposto

Hi there experts,

I bought today some 16x TDK dvd-r discs that my NEC 6500A will recognise, but not burn.
I did a bit of investigating and realised that I probably need to update my firmware to have this media work.

I'm worried about 'bricking' my dvd drive though. I'm using a Dell Inspiron 9300, and I don't understand anything about this "Master" / "Slave" business.
I have no idea how to check what my drive is set at, or what I should do to fix that.

./-ing (with root privileges) "necflash -scan" gives:
List of supported devices:

Device   : /dev/sg1
Vendor   : _NEC
Model    : DVD+-RW ND-6500A
Firmware : 202C

Device   : /dev/scd0
Vendor   : _NEC
Model    : DVD+-RW ND-6500A
Firmware : 202C
.. There is only one drive, but with root privileges it seems to show sg1 (also visible to the normal user) and scd0 (only visible for root).

I've successfully ./-ed "necflash -dump -v original_firmware /dev/scd0" to a file as well... so I can access the current firmware to dump it easily.
If I can dump it like that, shouldn't I be able to just flash it as simply? Going by my current firmware are you able to reccommend what firmware I should try to flash?

Thanks alot in advance, guys.

------------
Ok just jumped into windows to use NECDump

_NEC    DVD+-RW ND-6500A
202C 07.04.2005 00            

CD-R   Version: 1.24
CD-RW  Version: 1.25
DVD-R  Version: 1.37ds
DVD-RW Version: 1.31f
DVD+R  Version: 1.52d
DVD+RW Version: 1.32g
DVD+R9 Version: 1.27ds

RipLock Not Removed
RPC-2 (Region Locked)

If that tells anything more...

Edit: btw - h.xman .. you should try checking the device manager of windows to see what the drive is reporting itself as!

< Message edited by nelposto -- 1/9/2006 10:01:09 AM >

(in reply to h.xman)
Post #: 287
RE: NEC 6500 official firmware overview 26/10/2004 Upda... - 1/11/2006 2:34:26 AM   
koolkat

This is the exact same problem I have, please let me know if you find a fix

(in reply to nelposto)
Post #: 288
Page:   <<   < prev  16 17 [18] 19 20   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> Firmware >> NEC >> RE: NEC 6500 official firmware overview 26/10/2004 Updated! Page: <<   < prev  16 17 [18] 19 20   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI