CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

[Deleted]   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1159 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage Software] >> CD/DVD Copy >> [Deleted] Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
[Deleted] - 10/2/2004 12:21:25 AM   
Deleted User
[Deleted by Admins]
  Post #: 1
RE: Removing Copy Programs from your Computer - 10/2/2004 1:44:12 AM   
vbguru_12000

Since this seems to be such a hotly debated topic, the following rules will be strictly enforced for this thread:

1) Any post containing flames will be deleted. Period. No discussion.
2) Only constructive posts are allowed. All others will be deleted.
3) No outright lies. This includes saying that Alcohol or Nero contains spyware or anything else along these lines.

Now, to address the issue at hand. Billy Brethren, please understand that there are numerous versions of Alcohol out there. One version may install different files/registry entries in different locations than another version will. With this in mind, you should realize that not everyone is lying about certain methods of complete uninstallation. While I personally don't have too much knowledge on the subject, as I never plan on uninstalling Alcohol, I do know that my previous post on the subject was some help to someone. Unfortunately it did not help you. Perhaps there is someone else out there that has more specific knowledge of Alcohol and would be willing to help. Also, posting the version of Alcohol you installed may also help.

btw, I'm not trying to restrict free speech or any of that. I'm just trying to keep order and to prevent flame wars. Please try to understand.

I'm no longer afiliated with this forum. If you need professional help find me at http://digital-burn.net

(in reply to Deleted User)
Post #: 2
[Deleted] - 10/2/2004 3:27:16 AM   
Deleted User
[Deleted by Admins]

(in reply to vbguru_12000)
  Post #: 3
RE: Removing Copy Programs from your Computer - 10/2/2004 1:09:59 PM   
vbguru_12000

quote:

I am not saying this. However I am WONDERING what it is. It's there, they won't tell me where and they won't remove it. Given that, I believe I am perfectly reasonable to concoct whatever theory I can to explain it. Given Alcohol's conduct, I think it is reasonable to percieve their business with a healthy dose of cynicism.

I'm kinda curious how you know there is still stuff not being uninstalled. I'm not disagreeing with you or calling you a liar in any way, shape, or form, I just want to know specifics. One thing I know that they don't remove is a registry setting telling when it was installed. This would be used in the case someone was trying to continually uninstall and reinstall the trial version without purchasing the software. I completely understand and agree with this practice and hope that it's more than just this registry setting you are looking to remove. Likely, you won't find any information on removing it, as Alcohol would see this similar to providing you with a crack.

btw, a sure fire way to remove everything that wasn't uninstalled would be to reformat/reinstall Windows, something that should be done about twice a year anyway in my opinion.

I'm no longer afiliated with this forum. If you need professional help find me at http://digital-burn.net

Post #: 4
RE: Removing Copy Programs from your Computer - 10/2/2004 1:27:49 PM   
MP3Mogul

VBGuru is 100 percent correct!

This registry entry is left to prevent exactally what he said.

As for Nero, it is exactally the same, so that you cannot delete a trial and reinstall and use it. Alot of software makes also embed keys in the registry to let them know when you are no longer entitled to a free upgrade.

These "keys" do not affect the operation of your system at all.

Post #: 5
[Deleted] - 10/4/2004 12:55:20 AM   
Deleted User
[Deleted by Admins]

(in reply to MP3Mogul)
  Post #: 6
RE: Removing Copy Programs from your Computer - 10/4/2004 1:44:56 AM   
vbguru_12000

First off, in no way is Alcohol similar to Twaintec.dll. Twaintec.dll is adware. Alcohol is not. Also, do you understand how many other programs won't completely uninstall themselves? Almost every large, complex program will leave at least some small trace of its presence. As long as the leftovers aren't continuing to run or take up large amounts of disc space, I don't see it as a huge problem.

Now, onto the matter at hand. I've just stumbled across this little command-line tool --> HERE. It supposedly tracks all changes made by an installation to you computer and creates a log of said changes. This should allow you to manually delete ALL files created/changed by Alcohol. Only problem is it is for Windows 2000. I might still work on XP, but I'm not sure. Eitherway, it's worth a shot.

Post #: 7
RE: Removing Copy Programs from your Computer - 10/4/2004 2:21:56 PM   
Jito463

All the information you needed was on the Alcohol site. In fact, you could have removed it using the information in the topic you posted in. However, if that didn't suit your fancy, I found this in a 20-second search of Alcohol's forums.

http://forum.alcohol-soft.com/index.php?showtopic=13345&hl=uninstall+alcohol

FYI, I work on computers for a living and deal with virus infected computers on a daily basis, so I think I'm more than qualified to say what is and is not a virus. Alcohol is definitely not a virus. There are some more comments I'd like to make, but as it may be construed as flaming I'll leave it be at that. If the above doesn't help you, then honestly nothing will short of a format/reload of Windows.

< Message edited by Jito463 -- 10/4/2004 2:26:00 PM >

Post #: 8
RE: Removing Copy Programs from your Computer - 10/4/2004 6:40:22 PM   
MP3Mogul

If you "Like" alcohol so much, that you admit, you were trying to remove keys so that you could reinstall and use it again after the trial expired,

1) Purchase the program, development and production are "not free"

2) You will not find the key you are searching, trust me "you will not"

3) Register your copy and you will have a usable copy.

(in reply to Jito463)
Post #: 9
[Deleted] - 10/4/2004 7:53:20 PM   
Deleted User
[Deleted by Admins]

(in reply to MP3Mogul)
  Post #: 10
[Deleted] - 10/4/2004 8:03:12 PM   
Deleted User
[Deleted by Admins]

Post #: 11
RE: Another Bump - 10/4/2004 8:50:50 PM   
vbguru_12000

quote:

1) Why would you need to go to Control Panel when Alcohol provides you with a nice "uninstall" program that comes with the software ? Maybe it's because it doesn't "Uninstall", but rather hides something or installs something else.

The control panel add/remove simply checks a certain part of the registry for all programs that have listed themselves as installed. This section of the registry also contains a shortcut/link to the uninstaller program provided by the company. So, basically, uninstalling by the add/remove feature and by running the uninstall program is the exact same thing.

quote:

2) I went to control panel and "Alcohol" was not listed, even though it had Keys in the Registry. Why would they hide the existance of their software from Microsoft's Add/Remove Programs, and their users ?

Alcohol is listed in my add/remove, likely it isn't in yours because you've already uninstalled it. The uninstaller that comes with Alcohol removes the above mentioned registry setting so that it won't continually be listed.

quote:

1) First I think it is unreasonable to expect ANY user to start fooling with the Registry to Uninstall their code. Where is Alcohol going to be when some monkey (maybe you) deletes the wrong Key and looses and entire Hard Drive worth of data ? Not compensating you for the value of your lost data, for certain. They'll by hiding behind their disclaimer, which (BTW) doesn't mention ANYTHING about having the right to place code on your computer and then refuse to allow you to remove it.

No one is expecting a user to fool with the registry. First off, the registry doesn't contain any code whatsoever. It simply contains stuff such as file extension information, installed programs information (as previously mentioned), startup information, ect.

quote:

2) If I can delete their code from the Registry, then they could have included those commands in their "Uninstall" program. They didn't, and they didn't do this for a reason. I would like to know what that reason is. None of you people (seem to) know (yet). But (some of) you seem to resent the fact that I want to know.

I personally don't resent the fact you want to know everything that goes on in your computer. But I don't quite understand the point in removing a few remnant registry entries. Frankly, thousands of programs don't, or can't, remove all of their code/registry entries. As long as it isn't malicious, I don't worry about it too much. That's what reformats are for.

quote:

And another thing. Unless you know code like only programmers know code, then you don't really KNOW whether or not Alcohol is adware or not. Or a trojan, logger or a tracker. I'd like to believe your opinion about what Alcohol "isn't", but until someone can show me completely what it "IS" then my opinion about it's possible other uses are as valid as anyone else's

Actually, it's quite simple to see if a program is "calling home." A decent firewall program will show a popup notification whenever a program is connecting to the internet. Alcohol doesn't do this. Therefore, cannot be spyware. Also, since Alcohol is such a popular/widely used program, those that are super-geniuses with this kinda thing would be raising hell about it containing spy/adware.

Post #: 12
[Deleted] - 10/4/2004 9:18:01 PM   
Deleted User
[Deleted by Admins]

Post #: 13
RE: Good Post! - 10/4/2004 9:22:09 PM   
vbguru_12000

I'm not saying that these "super-geniuses" would have a method for removing it, I'm saying that they would at least have noticed it was spyware and had told everyone about it. I mean, comon, with a program as big and popular Alcohol, someone would have noticed if it had spyware. And frankly, I'm not relying on these people, merely using them as more proof that Alcohol isn't malicious. The firewall method is my first and most important piece of proof.

Post #: 14
RE: Good Post! - 10/5/2004 9:19:35 AM   
Alcohol Admin

Billy....

As General manager for Alcohol soft I am personally a little tired of your unfounded accusations of spyware,Trojans, viruses or whatever else you seem to think our software contains.

1. If you downloaded and installed our trial version from our website then you have my personal assurance that there is no, I repeat NOspyware or any form of virus,keylogger, backdoor virus or any other malignant application. As you are not as you say an expert then please feel free to send our download to those that are, take your pick there are a few antivirus\adware companies who will check a download for you and let you know if there are any malignant files lurking within the install package, please feel free to contact one of your choice and should you encure any costs i personally will reimburse you following receipt of an invoice from the company you choose. I cant say any fairer than that, and I am sure the outcome will enable you to sleep soundly at night and put your unfounded accusations to bed along side you.

2. If you downloaded and installed our software from our website and you are having a problem please contact me directly by email (removed by admin, using PM functions avoids spamm) and I will address your problem personally and resolve any issues you feel you may have. The reason why I ask you to mail me is not a cover up its simply to protect your privacy and not to post information in open forum that may not be pertinent to another's problem and could lead to creating problems on another users system if they inadvertently follow the same advice when their problem is created by a different set of circumstances. it is also possible that to resolve your problem you may be required to give information concerning your system that you would not wish others to be privy to. (please quote this post so that i am aware of the relation of your problem)

quote:

(The following excerpts are from the link:http://forum.alcohol-soft.com/index.php?showtopic=13345&hl=uninstall+alcohol

Please note your reference to this thread is not the same problem that you are having and if you are going to make quotes of threads you really should quote the whole thread including the person with the problems final response which as you well know was

quote:

Thanks a lot!!! It works now

4. To the moderators and Admin of this forum, while I always appreciate the help and advice given by your self's and the members of your forum in relation to questions concerning our software, and I along with the Alcohol support team are at any time willing to assist your members with any questions pertaining to our software, I feel that Billy for reasons known only to him self seems to have some difficulty in actually contacting us personally to resolve his problem and endeavours to create unsubstantiated accusations concerning our software, and fails to understand the structure of any and most software install\uninstall related issues the continuance of this thread is pointless.

Having given Billy the options of points 1 and 2 there is little more I can do to help bring pointless topic to a conclusion.

Billy please take note of points 1 and 2 if you have no wish to entertain them then I can only suggest that you resolve your problem by totally formatting your hard drive and re installing your operating system, this I assure you will remove all traces of our software, however I cant promise you that Mr gates does not include some form of spyware in his windows operating system so if you really are as paranoid as you make out to be then Format your hard drive and switch your PC off at the mains.

While my last comment is totally unprofessional and most likely uncalled for, I am only human and I resent being accused of posting fake endorsements of our software, each and every endorsement can be backed up with the individuals email address. I also resent the fact that in your topic on our support forum I suggested that you contacted me by email in an attempt to resolve your problem, however you chose to continue your accusations within this forum without contacting me for a resolution, this seems to indicate your not interested in resolving your problem but just like the attention you recieve posting here.

I suggest you take up my offer in points 1 and 2 and stop wasting yours and this forums time.

If any Admin or moderator feels that my offer to Billy is not acceptable or that any of my comments are not suited to this thread please remove my post and myself from your forum, while I cant speak for other Alcohol support members I feel I can do no more than I have in this particular case and await contact from Billy should he wish to do so. .

Paul
General manager
Alcohol Soft

< Message edited by emperor -- 10/5/2004 11:11:00 AM >

Post #: 15
RE: Good Post! - 10/5/2004 2:14:14 PM   
MP3Mogul

As he stated above, he wanted to REINSTALL it and use it after the trial had expired, this is his only goal.

Point is: It's not malicious software hidden in the registery, it's PROPERTY RIGHT INTEGRITY. If they didn't protect it this way, no one would purchase it....

Post #: 16
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Optical Storage Software] >> CD/DVD Copy >> [Deleted] Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI