CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Which firmware? NEC 3500A   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1640 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> Firmware >> NEC >> Which firmware? NEC 3500A Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Which firmware? NEC 3500A - 9/23/2004 2:26:23 PM   
shaunj66

Hey guys, nice forum you got here. Helped me a lot when deciding which DVD-+RW to buy the other day. I chose the NEC 3500A and am very pleased with it so far!

I was just thinking about upgrading the firmware from the manufacturer default, and wondered what firmware is best. Can you guys recommend a firmware for general use? Just burning and reading DVDs and the occasional CD. Are there enough advantages to warrant the flash? Or should I just not bother and stick with the original firmware?

Thanks for all those who took the time to read and reply.
Post #: 1
RE: Which firmware? NEC 3500A - 9/23/2004 3:12:48 PM   
emperor

Hi and welcome to our forums!

NEC will release soon a new firmware (probably named 2.17) officially. That firmware will include the latest writing strategies so you can wait

(in reply to shaunj66)
Post #: 2
RE: Which firmware? NEC 3500A - 9/23/2004 3:47:24 PM   
NotesGooRoo

Yes, but 2.17 will not support SL bitset, correct?

Anyway, I just received my 3500a yesterday and loaded the TDK firmware that supports bitset, 2.C7 from TDB that reports as a 3500a. It works awesome. So far I have tested with..

Memorex 4x DVD+R
Memorex 2.4x DVD +RW
Compusa 1x DVD-R
Fuji 2.4x DVD+R
Fuji 4x DVD+R
TDK 4x DVD+R

This has been my first exposure to bitsetting. I pulled my old Apex AD/600a DVD player out of the basement. This machine would NOT play any DVD burns prior. I loaded a burn from the 3500a, played beautifully! Now I have a spare DVD player.

I just ordered some ProDisc 8x printables. They should arrive soon and I will let you know how they work out.

My finances, and just plain good sense prevents me from buying DL discs at $10+ a pop, so you'll have to try them yourself with the TDK firmware should you decide to go that way.

-NGR

(in reply to emperor)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> Firmware >> NEC >> Which firmware? NEC 3500A Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI