CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Doom III CD backup guide   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 675 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage Software] >> CD/DVD Copy >> RE: Doom III CD backup guide Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Doom III CD backup guide - 8/28/2004 3:17:18 AM   
VOS

Ok need help with this problem I am having. I did exactly what Guardian had posted. I made all 3 copies, no problems. I ran the installer, it asked for the cd key (used the key I got from the store bought copy), picked a destation where to install, ran through the entire install, on the last part of the install it asked me to insert disc 1. I did that, said something like registering product and when it was done, I was back at my desktop. When I went to go look for the location of the install (default C:/Program Files/Doom 3), it was not installed there. It is not in my Programs menu or my Add/Remove in Control Panel. I also did a seach (keyword Doom) and nothing came up. Is this the rigures of Safedisk or did I do something wrong. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and have a nice day.

I used a legit, store bought copy of Doom 3, just using the backup discs for the install process.

(in reply to Guardian)
Post #: 17
RE: Doom III CD backup guide - 8/29/2004 4:38:56 PM   
vbguru_12000

Do you get the same problem when you install from the original? If not, then the problem is in a poorly made backup, if so, your backup is working fine.

I'm no longer afiliated with this forum. If you need professional help find me at http://digital-burn.net

(in reply to VOS)
Post #: 18
RE: Doom III CD backup guide - 8/29/2004 6:14:38 PM   
VOS

I have not tried installing off of the originals. I do not have them in my possesion anymore. All I have are the ISO images made from Alcohol in separate folders, the backup burned discs, as well as I copied all the contents of each disc and placed them in separate folders and stored them on my hard drive. With what I have right now, is there any way I can get it work properly? Thanks and have a nice day.

(in reply to VOS)
Post #: 19
RE: Doom III CD backup guide - 8/29/2004 6:18:30 PM   
vbguru_12000

I'm sorry, but as you no longer have the original, what you are doing is illegal. For this reason, you will not receive any help here. Go buy the original and we'll help you.

I'm no longer afiliated with this forum. If you need professional help find me at http://digital-burn.net

(in reply to VOS)
Post #: 20
RE: Doom III CD backup guide - 8/29/2004 7:09:01 PM   
VOS

Eat a **** (Edited by webmaster VOS we try to help you here, we don't support illegal requests, behave yourself!).

< Message edited by emperor -- 8/30/2004 3:19:05 AM >

(in reply to vbguru_12000)
Post #: 21
RE: Doom III CD backup guide - 9/1/2004 1:16:05 PM   
Welch

Ok i know im the new kid on the block . Infact i registered becuase of this topic . I wanted to comment on the Nvidia Vs ATI. I dont see how people still recommend the 9600 pro! They have been around for a bit and starting to become outdated even for a economical user. And for a game like Doom 3 you can easily afford a much better card. I would say go with at least the nvidia FX 5700 Ultra. Personally i have a Nvidia 5600 FX XT 128. And love the heck outta it! I have seen the comparsion in person between my 5600 and the 5700 ultra. The ultra is much more card and one sweet deal for running pretty much anything you want, And at a cheaper cost than what i paid for my 5600 6-8 months ago! And from what i see on pricewatch they are cheaper than 100 bucks www.pricewatch.com Make sure you dont target a cheaper version of it (im still a newb at telling the diffrence between companies and there versions of ATI/Nvidia Cards) The cards that are listed for 97 bucks are 256 mb of ram.

Another tip for anyone else here who might be a bit ticked that they bought a 128(or god forbide a 64) mb vid card. Check to see if your mobo supports dual channel ram. Meaning the ram slots on the motherboard are split up for special purposes. At least one channel is System ram, as your computer would be worthless with zero system ram. But as for the second channel you can set it up in bios to run as video card ram! Yes its a bit slower than the usual vid ram as it must travel all the way around the bus, but its better than your game crapping out when you run outta vid ram! If your computer runs outta system ram it will begin to use the second channel.

So id say push for your sytem ram at 2 X 512 (total of one gig, 1 dimm in each slot obviously) and then put about a 256mb in the second channel (this will be the ram used for the video card)

NOTICE: The 4 ram slots paired in 2's each pair is its own channel.

Ill get back to you guys with some percise instructions on how to setup a dual channel. If you are intrested in doing so please inform me with your BIOS version so i can see how you would need to navagate to make this happen.

WELL thanks for reading, and i hope that ill have alot of fun chatting with you guys!

(in reply to Guardian)
Post #: 22
RE: Doom III CD backup guide - 9/1/2004 1:31:09 PM   
Welch

OH lol!! And the reason i found this forum was to help my friend with his Doom 3 problem! YES its legit. Infact he brought it back to the shop and got a new one since he thought it was a problem with the disk. He has an original doom 3 and installed it and tried to run it and it gives him the "Please Insert Disc 1 of Doom III" somthing similar! He does have alchol on his computer, but he got that after he installed Doom III. I went remote to his computer and couldnt find anything that would get in the way of it running! We uninstalled and reinstalled about 3 times lol! And still to no pervail. It seems way to many people are having this problem. And what i would say is Screw the company at this point. I have not bought it, and most likely wont if this is the kinda engineering this company see fit to put out on the shelfs! There is that fine line of Anti-Piracy and Functionality. Many companies have been able to keep their programs safe for the most part without making the customer suffer with less functions. But it seems Doom III is the expection. The company as the Bulldog, and Doom III Guarding the bone with its life. And when the dogs master(The consumer) reaches for the bone the dog bites the master!

Anyhow thats how i see this, but if anyone could help me fix my friends problem he is pretty bumbed about it. I also have another friend that says he had the same problem with his Doom III and the only way to fix it is to use a no cd crack!!!! I find this hard to believe for a legit new game. And would like to persue the legal path of getting the game to work on his comp.

(in reply to Welch)
Post #: 23
RE: Doom III CD backup guide - 9/1/2004 1:41:55 PM   
emperor

Welch welcome to our forums, thanks for your comments at ATI vs NVIDIA, i am sure that most users will agree that Doom3 is fine tuned for NVIDIA cards, while Half Life 2 for ATI cards, so this is a never ending war!

As for your friends problem, i would reccomend to remove Alcohol and try re-install the game, else he should contact ID software and ask for a refund

(in reply to Welch)
Post #: 24
RE: Doom III CD backup guide - 9/1/2004 1:50:50 PM   
vbguru_12000

Yes, as emperor said, try removing Alcohol completely from the computer, including all virtual drives. If that still doesn't work, try searching for an update for Doom 3 on the internet. I know that a few other games weren't working due to the copy-protection, even the orignals. The producers then released a update that removed the protection allowing it to work. Not sure if Doom 3 has done this yet, but if enough people complain, they'll do it eventually.

btw, no-cd cracks are not only illegal, but a bad idea due to the fact that they do all kinds of things to your system, including messing with the registry. I would highly recommend you not use one.

(in reply to emperor)
Post #: 25
RE: Doom III CD backup guide - 9/2/2004 6:48:59 AM   
Welch

Well i fixed my friends problem A friend of mine said he had the same problem! And reffered me to a "Crack" so to speak. Its a updated exe. And as soon as we over wrote the original exe with this one it worked as it should! He also DUALLY noted that it is 100% legal if you own the game and still have the original CD. Which he does. I just dont see how a ompany this big can have products released that are so finicky! If anyone else if having this problem let me know and ill get the link to everyone (at this point i dont know it, he just sent me the file)

It will give you guys a chance to check the authenticity of how legal it is. The friend i got it from works in a computer shop (Not Comp USA or bs like that ahah) and has to keep his stuff legal, so i hold his word pretty high. But you cant be to sure ;)

(in reply to VOS)
Post #: 26
RE: Doom III CD backup guide - 9/2/2004 7:50:35 AM   
vbguru_12000

I hate to break this to you, but using any kind of modified .exe file is illegal. The DMCA (Digital Millenium Copywright Act) states you are allowed to make a single backup of a disc you own, as long as you do not modify the information in any way. And like I said before, cracks are never a good idea as they do more than just let the game run.

(in reply to Welch)
Post #: 27
RE: Doom III CD backup guide - 9/3/2004 9:47:16 AM   
Welch

That really sucks! I figured that the Doom crew would have figured out this very unproffessional problem on there own. Instead of looking to their customers to find a soulution to a out of the box game!

I forward the message to my friend who said he isnt giving up his new EXE for his life :P He got to into the game lol and isnt willing to change it until the company themselves provide him another soulution.

On the other hand :P i am learning about quite a few new cool things to do to beef up my system :D If anyone knows where i can get a ultility to View my Seek Time, Read/Write speed and everything of my Hard drive i would apperciate it! I learned about Maxtor incorparating a "Acoustic Manager" also known as "Silent Store" where they ship the HDD to the retailer with a feature that slows down the heads of the HDD to reduce noise. When i looked at the diffrent drives that a group tested. It showed that the three levels of management. Quite, Fast, Off. Quite making the HDD as quite as possible. Fast making the average over all of the drives that were tested 18.7% faster than the quites. Fast also makes the drive a bit louder but MUCH FASTER! And off of course meaning ZERO acoustic managment(Allowing the HDD to be louder) but as fast as they advertise. So if any of you have say the DiamondMax(or any Maxtor hard drive). And you thought it was running at 8.5 - 9ms its actually running at about 13.5-14 ms! You can easily fix this by getting the utility provided by Maxtor and turning the drive from its defualt (Quite) to either Fast or Off.

The reason im asking about the utility to show the seek time of my HDD is i wanna provide these guys who are doing the test with results off of my maxtor 6Y080L0.

If you have a maxtor drive and your intrested in speeding it up, then here is the file and direction offically from maxtor!
http://maxtor.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/maxtor.cfg/php/enduser/olh_adp.php?p_faqid=1200

(in reply to VOS)
Post #: 28
RE: Doom III CD backup guide - 9/3/2004 10:09:25 AM   
emperor

Any benchmark software for HDD can report seek times, like HD Tach or Sisoft Sandra

(in reply to Welch)
Post #: 29
RE: Doom III CD backup guide - 9/3/2004 1:07:42 PM   
Welch

You guys HAVE TO read this. Itll give you ALOT of insight on the FPS thing. ABout what you need and what you dont!

http://www.daniele.ch/school/30vs60/30vs60_1.html

READ ALL THREE SECTIONS!!!!!!

(in reply to VOS)
Post #: 30
RE: Doom III CD backup guide - 9/3/2004 10:51:43 PM   
emperor

Great, let me check that article

(in reply to Welch)
Post #: 31
RE: Doom III CD backup guide - 9/4/2004 3:19:13 PM   
Welch

SO, do you like the link?? I found it VERY helpful. I already knew about refresh rates on monitors and a few other things! the main thing i wanted to know was the humans max FPS! Which it seems is finally settled. Everyone was saying it was 30 fps! About time someone puts them in there place!

ALSO i saw some Doom III video clips on Tech TV IT DOES LOOK LIKE FINIAL FANTASY the movie graphics :D
Now i wanna buy it but im having problems with the way my comp is running :(

Im only getting 30 fps (60 in dark DARK areas)!!! Which means ill be lucky to get 10 in Doom III :P

My machine is as follows (I built it)

MSI K7N2-Delta(mobo) AMD XP 2600+(Everest says its a Barton core)
Maxtor DiamondMax9 6Y080L0 IDE ATA/133 (also Everest knowledge)
512mb ram pc2700 is what i bought (Everest is sure its 3200 I HOPE)
MSI Nvidia Geforce 5600 FX XT 128

And after all of that TOTALLY updated DirectX and Updated video drivers, i only get an average of 30 fps in Call of Duty! This should not happen!!!!!!!!

ANYONE please i need some help with this

(in reply to VOS)
Post #: 32
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Optical Storage Software] >> CD/DVD Copy >> RE: Doom III CD backup guide Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI