CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Media Watchdog   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1436 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> BD, CD, DVD Media >> RE: Media Watchdog Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Media Watchdog - 9/8/2004 11:33:08 AM   
Dolphinius_Rex

quote:

ORIGINAL: lonelyger

Anyone knows DVD-RW 4x Medias??

I know that 4x DVD-RW is not an official standard but Verbatim is the only manufacturer that sell these rw's

So..anyone knows??

Optodisc, Ritek, Mitsubishi/Verbatim, and JVC all have 4x DVD-RWs with their own code. So far Ritek is the easiest to find, and also the most problamatic! The JVC ones seem to be the best so far, but the hardest to find.

And yes, 4x DVD-RW is an official standard, and media can be officially certified through Pioneer.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Monkuboy
I've looked at a few resellers of TY media and see that Rima.com has much lower prices than the other ones. Any comments on this? Why would their prices be so low? I've bought from them before and have had good results but I am wondering why they would sell TY media for so much less than other dealers. Also, I understand Fujifilm media marked as being made in Japan is also TY, and can be found on sale. Why would you spend almost twice as much at these other places if you can get TY media branded under Fujifilm, or TY oem from Rima? Just curious..

Rima's prices are good, but not *too* good, if you know what I mean. They obviously buy in high volume, and pass savings onto their customers. They are quite well known as TY distributors, and are among the safer online sources for TY products. I wouldn't worry about counterfeit from them.

< Message edited by Dolphinius_Rex -- 9/8/2004 11:42:18 AM >

Canada; Leading the world in being just north of the U.S.A.

(in reply to lonelyger)
Post #: 33
RE: Media Watchdog - 9/8/2004 3:40:42 PM   
monkuboy

Thanks, Dolphinius - I've purchased from Rima a few times and have always been pleased but it helps to hear some other opinions on them! Plus they are local so whatever they ship out, I get the next day. I appreciate your reply!

(in reply to Dolphinius_Rex)
Post #: 34
RE: Media Watchdog - 9/9/2004 1:53:11 AM   
lonelyger

Thanks Dolphinius_Rex....good info

I try to catch some JVCs
Seems that Ritek is often the easiest to find, and also the most problamatic...

Post #: 35
RE: Media Watchdog - 10/13/2004 9:40:13 PM   
fallout55

Great thread, I just purchases a Plextor 708A and discovered it is pretty picky about the media it will read. I bought a couple of "sample packs" from supermediastore.com. So far the only thing it just refuses to write has been their supermedia brand 8X DVD-R. It identifies as [TYGO2], Taiyo Yuden. Now I guess that wasn't right. They didn't say it was TY, but they did have a chart saying my burner would work with these disks.

(in reply to lonelyger)
Post #: 36
RE: Media Watchdog - 10/15/2004 5:34:19 PM   
Myrdhinn

I bought some of the prodisc 4x coded MCC 02RG20 from blankmedia here in Canada. Wouldn't burn on my toshiba sd-r5112 at 4x at all and even at 1x it had errors so bought a lg 4120b and they work fine. How good the media will be a year from now, anyones guess. Blankmedia is good about stuff like that, they offered to return for credit but I bought a new burner anyway since I can see the writing on the wall. My Tosh makes a good reader but I saw no hope of updated firmware from them.

(in reply to lonelyger)
Post #: 37
RE: Media Watchdog - 10/17/2004 9:47:44 PM   
adarkar

I own a Toshiba SD-R5112.

After a long time, a new firmware is out... it's the 1033. Just download it from toshiba's website.
With this firmware, more media will be written at 4x speed.

By the way, when my Toshiba says a disc can't be burned at a higher speed- it means it's a bad or fake media. Until now, it has always been right.

(in reply to Myrdhinn)
Post #: 38
RE: Media Watchdog - 10/18/2004 1:56:47 PM   
Dolphinius_Rex

Not too sure on all the specifics about it, but Prodisc is shipping media with a wide variety of codes right now. That doesn't mean that Prodisc media *IS* MCC media, or comparable quality neccessarily, but they are legally licensing the code from MCC. So the media is not counterfeit (per se), but it *IS* confusing!

Canada; Leading the world in being just north of the U.S.A.

(in reply to Myrdhinn)
Post #: 39
RE: Media Watchdog - 10/18/2004 4:40:29 PM   
Myrdhinn

Heh, tell me about. Seems last I heard there is 7 different media codes for prodisc +/-R at this time. Stuff I have now is okay, not stellar, it burns on my LG tho have had one bad disk so far. I'll rate it 3.5/5 for quality. My Tosh has the latest firmware and even brings up errors reading the disks the LG burned, dvdifno/cd-speed read errors on the tosh, none on the LG. I don't think I'll be buying these again. It sucks, first ritek, now prodisc are becoming untrustable.

< Message edited by Myrdhinn -- 10/18/2004 4:50:29 PM >

Post #: 40
RE: Media Watchdog - 3/6/2005 3:51:44 PM   
rogerwilkerson

Does anyone have any experience with the FMI DVD +/- R 4x media that is one sale at CompUSA for the next five days --100 pack for 19.95?

Post #: 41
RE: Media Watchdog - 3/16/2005 12:19:11 PM   
cobefn

"Buy Cheap-Buy Twice" my good wife always says. Stick to known brands such as Verbatim, Samsung, TDK and Maxwell and your home and dry, by a cheap, almost un heard of brand and you could end up with a pile of coasters, as many have!,,I've been there as well!

(in reply to rogerwilkerson)
Post #: 42
RE: Media Watchdog - 5/17/2005 12:24:22 PM   
Mender

Beware - DVD-R x8: O1NE Movie Style Yellow 8x DVD-R

Supposedly TYG02, but only £15.99 (GB pounds) for 100 disks.

Absolute rubbish! They won't play on any standalone player that I have found, PIE average over 4000 and PIF average more than 1000 when burned on NEC 3500, 3520, 3540, Pioneer 106, 107, 108, 109, Liteon various models, LG 16x and BenQ 16x, and won't even read back without errors on most of the above drives.

Avoid at all costs.

(I didn't buy any, but a friend of mine did. Sent back for refund)

< Message edited by Mender -- 5/17/2005 12:25:42 PM >

(in reply to cobefn)
Post #: 43
RE: Media Watchdog - 8/11/2005 1:26:49 PM   
BSpielbauer

Anyone who shops at Meritline, be careful if trying to purchase Taiyo Yuden discs.  If you merely follow their Taiyo Yuden links, they are now listing some media that are NOT actually manufactured by Taiyo Yuden...   even though Meritline has chosen to list them under this category.

Here is a link to these:

http://www.meritline.com/high-quality-8x-dvd-r-blank-media-shiny-tyg021.html

When one customer asked Meritline about the authenticity of these discs, the exact response was that "these are not made in Japan, but they are manufactured according to Taiyo Yuden's specification."

Deceptive.

The listing on the web page labels them as "High Quality."  Later, they call them "Yaiyo Yuden Quality DVD-R Discs."  This is supposed to mean they are "Taiyo Yuden quality," but it does NOT mean they are "Taiyo Yuden."

Tricky... 

Be careful out there.

-Bruce

< Message edited by BSpielbauer -- 8/11/2005 1:29:23 PM >

Post #: 44
RE: Media Watchdog - 8/27/2005 3:31:36 PM   
MarioGarcia

hello
I am looking forward to buying very good quality media, but I do not know what to buy.. I want the best, never mind the price.
is ricoh a good brand? and what do you think of these dvds sold at nierle.de? are those real taiyo yuden disks?
here is the link :
http://www.nierle2.com/s01.php?sid=PG001010715483139178212139178212&shopid=s01&cur=eur&sp=en&ag=1&os=1&br=1&pp=aa&bnr=2533

all your input should be truly appreciated... I don't want to lose my $$$$ in crap. :)

(in reply to BSpielbauer)
Post #: 45
RE: Media Watchdog - 10/5/2005 2:04:30 PM   
MediaGuru101

I bought media made by Dupsonic which was also using a fake Taiyo Code. There is a good site for genuine Taiyo's called http://www.sav-on-supplies.com . They seem to have pretty good prices and I have bought a few items from them. Watch out for those fake codes!

Media Guru is here for U!

(in reply to Clint)
Post #: 46
RE: Media Watchdog - 1/7/2007 7:58:22 AM   
bsej

Bought these new HP X16 +r from Stratfields Adelaide $20 in 50pk cake tub there made by CMC not the best maker but they worked ok on my Pioneer 109 fw8.57 but not on my Liteon 832s which usually loves +r discs.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD+R:CMC MAG-M01-000]
Disc & Book Type : [DVD+R] - [DVD-ROM]
Manufacturer Name : [CMC Magnetics Corp.]
Manufacturer ID : [CMC MAG]
Media Type ID : [M01]
Product Revision : [Not Specified]
Blank Disc Capacity : [2,295,104 Sectors = 4.70 GB (4.38 GiB)]
Recording Speeds : [1x-2.4x , 4x , 6x-8x , 6x-16x]

(in reply to MediaGuru101)
Post #: 47
RE: Media Watchdog - 10/22/2008 4:21:13 PM   
netcaster

first time here, but i was looking to buy <a href="http://www.meritline.com/high-quality-8x-dvd-r-blank-media-shiny-tyg021.html ">http://www.meritline.com/high-quality-8x-dvd-r-blank-media-shiny-tyg021.html</a> but instead found these <a href="http://www.meritline.com/taiyo-yuden-8x-dvd-r-silver-thermal.html">http://www.meritline.com/taiyo-yuden-8x-dvd-r-silver-thermal.html</a>.

recommeded?

(in reply to bsej)
Post #: 48
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> BD, CD, DVD Media >> RE: Media Watchdog Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI