CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Media Watchdog   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1675 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> BD, CD, DVD Media >> Media Watchdog Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Media Watchdog - 7/12/2004 3:52:51 PM   
Dolphinius_Rex

This is a thread for posting about media that is confusing or deceiving by nature. So discs being sold as one type, that are actually another type, or even unexpected OEM job by a brand you wouldn't expect.

To start it off:

Optodisc 8x DVD-Rs:
Currently Optodisc is using a Taiyo Yuden TYG02 code in their 8x DVD-Rs. The discs *are* made by Optodisc, but have the TY code so to allow for 8x writing on more drives. These discs are available through many online stores, so it's impossible to list them. Do *NOT* be fooled into believing that this is a Taiyo Yuden OEM job. This media will be replaced with a newer type with a proper Optodisc 8x DVD-R code, as soon as more drives support it at 8x, so this will not be a permenant problem.

Matrix 8x DVD-Rs:
Matrix is currently using a Taiyo Yuden TYG02 code in their 8x DVD-Rs. The discs are NOT made by Taiyo Yuden. They are currently being sold at shop4tech, and possibly other vendors as well.
EDIT: It looks like Europe also has these discs, with the TYG02 code too, and it appears the discs themselves are made in Hongkong.

Fake Taiyo Yuden TYG02 8x DVD-Rs:
being offered here

< Message edited by Dolphinius_Rex -- 7/13/2004 8:39:46 PM >

Canada; Leading the world in being just north of the U.S.A.
Post #: 1
[Deleted] - 7/12/2004 4:20:47 PM   
Deleted User
[Deleted by Admins]

(in reply to Dolphinius_Rex)
  Post #: 2
RE: Media Watchdog - 7/12/2004 5:38:17 PM   
emperor

Good information Dolphy, keep it coming!

(in reply to Deleted User)
Post #: 3
RE: Media Watchdog - 7/12/2004 9:05:11 PM   
nattoumusubi

Aloha Dolphinius-
Thank you again for your help here.

I also noticed that many folks selling on Ebay say a certain brand is made by Taiyo Yuden because it has their code on it, when it is not made by them.

I hope the industry will catch on as customers are buying thinking they are receiving authentic Taiyo Yuden product.

Also, you would think that companies would want to make sure that their resellers knew this because of liability issues.

Thanks again!
Mahalo,
Nattou

Post #: 4
RE: Media Watchdog - 7/13/2004 12:18:47 AM   
Dolphinius_Rex

quote:

ORIGINAL: nattoumusubi

Aloha Dolphinius-
Thank you again for your help here.

I also noticed that many folks selling on Ebay say a certain brand is made by Taiyo Yuden because it has their code on it, when it is not made by them.

I hope the industry will catch on as customers are buying thinking they are receiving authentic Taiyo Yuden product.

Also, you would think that companies would want to make sure that their resellers knew this because of liability issues.

Thanks again!
Mahalo,
Nattou

No problem! That's what we are here for

Sadly, most retailers/wholesalers ARE aware the disc is not real taiyo yuden, and simply don't care to pass on the real information

(in reply to nattoumusubi)
Post #: 5
RE: Media Watchdog - 7/13/2004 3:55:26 AM   
Clint

Dolphin, a quick question I hope you can assist.

I received today, what *should* be 50 Taiyo Yuden TYG02 4X certified (might be G01's I can't remember will check if you want) that have a write descriptor of up to 8X with my PX-712 v1.03. They came with a normal THAT'S slip in the spindle (stating RX media etc..).

Now the thing is: They have no logo's on the surface what so ever, just a blank reflective silver substrate.

Question: How can I be 100% sure I have authentic TY, since after reading the above it makes me think twice. They are from a reputable dealer.

I can be 95% sure by doing some jitter/PI/PO scans, as the error rate should reveal the identity. However, I cannot account for the other 5% since the discs could be from another plant using the same code and also, *being of comparitive quality* which takes me back to where I started..

Anyways any input would be usefull, I guess

Post #: 6
[Deleted] - 7/13/2004 4:19:47 AM   
Deleted User
[Deleted by Admins]

(in reply to Clint)
  Post #: 7
RE: Media Watchdog - 7/13/2004 4:22:11 AM   
Clint

They are TYG01's 4X but with Plextor they can write at 8X reliably. So I guess I have the real thing unless they started putting G01 codes on their 4X media aswell so they write @ 8X with the 712?!

They all should be shot, I would never buy from a company like Optodisc who cannot produce quality media themselves, so they fake the ID of one of the best in the game. That's a discrace

(in reply to Clint)
Post #: 8
RE: Media Watchdog - 7/13/2004 4:25:57 AM   
Clint

quote:

ORIGINAL: minos

All the media I receive for TY have no logos...if they weren't them I would have for sure the same question

Good info, I should be safe. Thanks. My TY CD-R media has logo's, did you just mean DVD-R media or everything (DVD+R and CD-R aswell)?

You wouldn't understand the state I'd be in if I had received FAKE TY media. Punches would be thrown.

(in reply to Deleted User)
Post #: 9
RE: Media Watchdog - 7/13/2004 10:52:21 AM   
Dolphinius_Rex

quote:

ORIGINAL: Clint

quote:

ORIGINAL: minos

All the media I receive for TY have no logos...if they weren't them I would have for sure the same question

Good info, I should be safe. Thanks. My TY CD-R media has logo's, did you just mean DVD-R media or everything (DVD+R and CD-R aswell)?

You wouldn't understand the state I'd be in if I had received FAKE TY media. Punches would be thrown.

There is counterfeit Taiyo Yuden CD-Rs out there too, but all the ones I've played with don't have a crystalized hub, so keep an eye out for that on the CD-Rs.

And yeah, we can talk about CD-Rs too... but I think it'll mostly be DVDR discussions.

(in reply to Clint)
Post #: 10
RE: Media Watchdog - 7/13/2004 12:52:08 PM   
Clint

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dolphinius_Rex

There is counterfeit Taiyo Yuden CD-Rs out there too, but all the ones I've played with don't have a crystalized hub, so keep an eye out for that on the CD-Rs.

It's a completely different story for TY CD-R's. As soon as I see the frosted hub, I know *exactly* what I have in my hands.. I have never came across any fake recordables yet, buying from good sources probably helps though.

Post #: 11
RE: Media Watchdog - 7/13/2004 1:44:15 PM   
emperor

Maybe we should look at the serial number of the TY discs?

(in reply to Clint)
Post #: 12
RE: Media Watchdog - 7/13/2004 3:07:08 PM   
Winthorpe

dolphin, can you supply some more info about these Taiyo Yuden disks please? I'd like to know as much as possible about these before I buy more. I've already purchased a 100 pk cakebox from shop4tech of their newest generation Matrix disks listed here.

http://www.shop4tech.com/user.htm?go=view_item&id=2526&cata=&s_cata=

I read some good things about these on a couple of forums and figured I'd try them. For 8x disks the price was superb. I got the disks on Friday. Got them for .59 a piece and have burned 34 of them as of right now the results are awesome. No coasters and dvdinfopro shows no errors. I've been reading on this forum and doom9 for a while and respect the information supplied there so i'm just curious as to if these are fakes then why do they work so excellent? I remember reading a big uproar of information on fake TDK and Maxell disks a while back but those disks were apparently really crappy.

I was also one of the ones who purchased from meritline and Rima some disks called Lead Data which had a media identificaton that said "SONY." Most believed these were real Sony disks because they worked so great. To this day, those Lead Data Sony disks playback perfectly and still have no errors with dvdinfopro. Back then they were a real bargain. So i'm just curious, were those legitimate Sony disks or phonies? I'm not kidding when I say that even if those were phonies i'd buy hundreds of them right now over lots of other so called great media b/c of how excellent they worked.

Any information you can give will be helpful to me and probably many others. Thanks

< Message edited by Winthorpe -- 7/13/2004 3:08:02 PM >

(in reply to emperor)
Post #: 13
RE: Media Watchdog - 7/13/2004 3:50:10 PM   
Dolphinius_Rex

Hrm, I don't know too much more about the Matrix discs then I've already said. I haven't used them personally, but I'd been given a few reports on them (which is how I know they are using a TY code).

From everything I've learned, between Hongkong and Taiwan, there are about 5+ manufacturers currently making 8x DVDRs with TY codes. And I've heard reports that there is also media using an MCC003 code being manufacturered by unauthorized plants.

I think it would be a safe assumption that things are only going to get worse!

EDIT: Regarding Lead Data brand discs with a Sony code, it is very likely the discs were in fact made by Lead Data but just using a Sony code. Lead Data has done many pressing jobs for Sony in the past, so it is not hard to believe that some discs come out with a different code on them. It might have been a production error, or maybe just an overrun during the manufacturing.

More and more, the media codes on discs will become less and less useful

< Message edited by Dolphinius_Rex -- 7/13/2004 2:52:57 PM >

(in reply to Winthorpe)
Post #: 14
RE: Media Watchdog - 7/13/2004 10:03:40 PM   
Clint

quote:

ORIGINAL: Winthorpe

I was also one of the ones who purchased from meritline and Rima some disks called Lead Data which had a media identificaton that said "SONY." Most believed these were real Sony disks because they worked so great. To this day, those Lead Data Sony disks playback perfectly and still have no errors with dvdinfopro. Back then they were a real bargain. So i'm just curious, were those legitimate Sony disks or phonies? I'm not kidding when I say that even if those were phonies i'd buy hundreds of them right now over lots of other so called great media b/c of how excellent they worked.

Any information you can give will be helpful to me and probably many others. Thanks

I would like them to be "real" SONY as much as you. Whilst the fact stands that they played everywhere, they did infact produce higher jitter levels at C1 than say TY or MC (MKM) CD-R's. D_R would be correct in what he says above.

Did you notice those 'pretend' Sony CD-R's where made based on cyanine (from LeadData I refer) from at least 16X~32X. Then where changed to phthalocyanine for 40X~48X Sony CD-R, but I'm not 100% sure this new phthalocyanine substrate was from LeadData or now someone else, anyone have more info?

(in reply to Winthorpe)
Post #: 15
RE: Media Watchdog - 7/13/2004 10:14:05 PM   
Clint

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dolphinius_Rex

More and more, the media codes on discs will become less and less useful

Since these are manufacturers codes that wern't really intended for the knowledge of comsumers. Lately, consumers have been looking at these codes (power users, like yourself you could say) and the companies have realised this, and thus take advantage of this and now try to put TAIYO YUDEN & MITSUBISHI KAGAKU MEDIA as *their* own I.D.

Cool idea guys, except when those same 'power users' realize this, they're not going to be having much respect for the offenders...

Post #: 16
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> BD, CD, DVD Media >> Media Watchdog Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI