CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Artec   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 717 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> Firmware >> Artec Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Artec - 4/24/2002 11:24:07 AM   
benstudley

I posted this in a different forum but I think it belongs here really...

here it is:

I have an Artec 20x10x40 cdrw drive and am running Windows XP. It seems that my burner takes WAY longer than it should to burn a cd. It takes about 12 minutes to burn 80min CD. I noticed that my used read buffer jumps all around. On friends' burners, it goes all the way up to 99 or 98 and stays there. I also get a message at the end of burning almost every time that "Buffer underrun was prevented xx times" and it's usually more than 100. I have firmware version .91 according to Nero. My real problem is that i'm not sure what model i have. In device manager, ,it's listed as RW-201040. I was wondering if there was a firmware upgrade or something else to help me out. Any help is appreciated. I downloaded some flash utility that was listed for the Artec wra-k40 or whatever and when i run it and it has the box to pick the target drive, my cdrw isn't listed...

Post #: 1
RE: Artec - 4/24/2002 12:25:01 PM   
john

Have you enabled DMA?

Visit www.cdrinfo.com - The Recording Authority

(in reply to benstudley)
Post #: 2
RE: Artec - 4/24/2002 1:36:29 PM   
benstudley

mode is set to DMA if available then right under that it says current mode: PIO

it used to be set on PIO only but a friend recommended changing it. I remember it saying before that i was on DMA. But now it seems to be on PIO.

It's on the secondary master channel if that matters.

(in reply to benstudley)
Post #: 3
RE: Artec - 4/24/2002 6:06:40 PM   
benstudley

just to update the topic. I found a couple articles about it on newsgroups. Apparently Windows XP switches back to PIO if DMA encounters an error. I'm not quite sure how to get it back to DMA. Also, I noticed in my BIOS (which i just updated today) there is no option for DMA but is an option for PIO....

does that help clear anything up?

(in reply to benstudley)
Post #: 4
RE: Artec - 4/25/2002 10:06:01 PM   
john

Ok. Which chipset are you using? Intel or VIA? If you are using Intel try Intel's BustMaster drivers. For VIA install latest Via 4in1 drivers (and maybe VIA IDE Busmaster - even they cause some problems)

Visit www.cdrinfo.com - The Recording Authority

(in reply to benstudley)
Post #: 5
RE: Artec - 4/26/2002 12:21:11 AM   
benstudley

i'm really not sure what chipset i'm running.... could it be possible that it's SiS?

I looked in device manager under system devices... and i don't see via or intel anywhere there... and under ide i have primary, secondary, and sis pci ide controller...

i have no clue...
i'm lost

(in reply to benstudley)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> Firmware >> Artec Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message