CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Best packet software?   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1362 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage Software] >> CD/DVD Authoring >> Packet Writing >> Best packet software? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Best packet software? - 11/26/2001 5:04:27 PM   
dagon

I've used DirectCD and like its ease but Ive had bad experience with losing my disc's from sorts of errors. I tried InCD but couldn't figure out how to use it within 2 minutes so I uninstalled it *grin*, and currently I have installed HyCD which seems decent but direct explorer drag and drop access, like DirectCD, would be great.

What do you guys opinion as the best software?

Post #: 1
RE: Best packet software? - 11/30/2001 9:19:49 PM   
slipe

If you value your data and want explorer drag, DirectCD with CDR is the only way to go.

With any packet writing software the TOC is in RAM whenever the formatted RW is in the burner. Any lockup or power failure will cause the loss of the TOC and you can’t read the data. If your kid hits the power or reset the TOC is gone also. Newer versions of most packet writing software have a recovery or explorer utility that will let you read the stuff but it is a hassle at best. You can overwrite stuff by accident and I’ve always assumed that since it is a drive on the computer a virus that damages files could damage the ones on the disc as well.

DirectCD is the only one that will packet write to CDR. It is a different system of variable length packets and acts just like a multi-session written with mastering software. You can drag or paste in Windows Explorer. You close out the session when you are through and it is ready for a new session as soon as you insert the CD. You don’t have to open your burning software every time you want to burn something. All of the data in the closed sessions is secure. The format is very quick because it is just writing a preliminary TOC rather than formatting the whole disc.

If you want to use RW stay away from packet writing and just use mastering software. There is not any packet writing software that will avoid data loss like you probably experienced. DirectCD 5 in their FAQ says that it will do variable packets to RW – earlier versions would not do that. Since you close sessions even with RW with variable packets that might be an option. DirectCD is the only software that will do variable packets.

(in reply to dagon)
Post #: 2
RE: Best packet software? - 12/10/2001 10:16:33 PM   
Beowulf

IMHO, Packet Writing is evil. It sucked years ago, and I still don't trust it. :-)

(in reply to dagon)
Post #: 3
RE: Best packet software? - 12/20/2001 2:19:04 AM   
Karlas

In the past I have used DirectCD, I never had problems with it
and I loved that I could write to CDRs.
Then my burner broke down, so I had to replace it, but the burner
came with the NERO InCD, and my DirectCD did/does not work with my
new burner. With InCD I have nothing but trouble. Very often an
error occurs and it tells me to back up my data and reformat the
disk. That is of course not very convenient.

I would therefor like to go back to DirectCD, but I cannot figure
out whether I can buy (an upgrade of) DirectCD without buying EasyCD
Creator.

Somebody having any clues ?

Cheers,

Rudi

(in reply to dagon)
Post #: 4
RE: Best packet software? - 12/26/2001 9:06:52 PM   
johnet

I got this tip from digi on the forum. DirectCD 5.1 free for the taking. Tried it myself and it works great! Just click on the link below and download.

http://cequadrat.com/driver/dcd_upd/DCD51UP.exe

(in reply to dagon)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Optical Storage Software] >> CD/DVD Authoring >> Packet Writing >> Best packet software? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI