CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Slow Burn with Plextor PX-800a   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1072 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> CD, DVD, BD Drives >> Slow Burn with Plextor PX-800a Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Slow Burn with Plextor PX-800a - 3/5/2008 1:32:31 AM   
vagvp

Hello everyone, I have recently purchased a brand new PX-800a but unfortunately it's burning nutoriously slow.  Took me about 20-25 minutes to burn a 4gb dvd.  I have checked if DMA is on, it is, I"m running xp pro, x2 4200, 2gb ram, raptor 36gb os drive.  Everything is top notch, my previous drive was working perfectly, some lite-on with lightscribe functionality, until in crapped out on me, and I jumped the bandwagon to go on to the plextor side.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  The only thing I have not gotten a chance to do is try different media.  I'll try to pick some up later today.  thank again
Post #: 1
RE: Slow Burn with Plextor PX-800a - 3/5/2008 6:10:25 AM   
SithTracy

Problem is, you've been duped into thinking you bought a Plextor.  The last two real Plextor drives were the PX-755A/SA and PX-760A.  Plextor dropped out of the optical drive industry.  Sure, they still sell them... they put their name on someone else's drive.  I can't recall who actually made the PX-800A (it was either NEC/Sony/Optiarc or LITEON).

Still, though, you should be able to burn faster than that.  What are you using to burn (Nero, ImgBurn, Roxio)?  Are you sure DMA is active on your IDE channel?  What controller is your motherboard using for your IDE?

(in reply to vagvp)
Post #: 2
RE: Slow Burn with Plextor PX-800a - 3/5/2008 11:18:17 AM   
vagvp

I'm using an asus av8-sli deluxe.  I believe my chipset is the nvidia nforce 4.  I've checked in device manager confirming that dma is on, and the weird thing is read spead is normal, copied over an entire dvd in 4-5 minutes.  Only thing is writing.  I'm using Nero 8 as burning software.  The drive is on the second ide channel and it is on Ultra DMA Mode 4.  Thanks again any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

(in reply to SithTracy)
Post #: 3
RE: Slow Burn with Plextor PX-800a - 3/5/2008 11:24:41 AM   
vagvp

Just burnt a cd not dvd, and it went through a whole cd in a little over 2 minutes.  What I realized also is that the Used Read Buffer in nero when burning a dvd never maintains a steady 98-100% as it does when I burnt the cd.  I also just tried using different dvd media and still got the same problem.  

(in reply to vagvp)
Post #: 4
RE: Slow Burn with Plextor PX-800a - 3/5/2008 6:02:45 PM   
SithTracy

What brand and media ID DVD's are you burning to?

(in reply to vagvp)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> CD, DVD, BD Drives >> Slow Burn with Plextor PX-800a Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI