CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

DVD Recordable vs commercial DVD   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 818 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> BD, CD, DVD Media >> DVD Recordable vs commercial DVD Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
DVD Recordable vs commercial DVD - 12/11/2007 2:50:55 PM   
iONic

I know through experience that the DVD's I rent seem to withstand a great deal of abuse compared to the DVD's I record myself. I've had DVD's recorded that have sat around in a CD jewel case on its side not play well after collecting micro particles of dust. I think storing them so that the reorded side faces down may help, but storing them in the jewel case inside a plastic bag might be the best bet.

Can anyone explain why the commercial DVD's are better with respect to dust, and what they reccomend as the best way to store the recorded ones.

...and how bad will it get when we go to HDDVD's and or BlueRay.

Thanks
Post #: 1
RE: DVD Recordable vs commercial DVD - 12/11/2007 5:44:50 PM   
SithTracy

Use better media like Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden and you'll likly see a signigficant improvement in the long term storage of recorded media.  But it will likely never be as reliable as the original release on DVD... That said, for the future, I am not sold on HD-DVD or Blu-ray... Personally, I feel the future of data/video/music storage may be flash media... but we will have to see how the technology plays out.

(in reply to iONic)
Post #: 2
RE: DVD Recordable vs commercial DVD - 12/11/2007 8:01:19 PM   
iONic

Funny thing is I do use Verbatim... Technically, however, what is different in the process that makes the "prerecorded' DVD better?

But you'll need to keep your flash memory away from electromagnetic fields...
Maybe the ancient Egyptians had it right all along, after all look how long their data has lasted.   Through hell and highwater, through electromagnetic fields and sand storms, the
hieroglyphics are still here. I can see it now... Stephen Spielberg directing the stonecutters every move, template after template....

(in reply to SithTracy)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> BD, CD, DVD Media >> DVD Recordable vs commercial DVD Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI