CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: no eSATA detection   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1354 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [PC hardware] >> General Hardware Issues >> RE: no eSATA detection Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: no eSATA detection - 4/17/2007 7:24:48 AM   
Freeco

Have you tried connecting the eSATA bracket to one of the onboard SATA ports, and then hooking up the enclosure to that one?

For me it always works when:
1. connect to the eSATA bracket
2. start the external drive
3. boot my PC (cold boot!)

In other cases it (still) doesn't allways work, even when scanning for new devices in Vista.

(in reply to Abyzz)
Post #: 17
RE: no eSATA detection - 4/17/2007 7:46:02 AM   
SithTracy

quote:

Any ideas why this might be?
Yeah - the Jmicron controller is likely the culprit... You can try setting the Jmicron to AHCI or do as Freeco suggests and use one of the Intel SATA ports with the included bracket.

(in reply to Abyzz)
Post #: 18
RE: no eSATA detection - 4/17/2007 8:27:47 AM   
Abyzz

There must be a difference in some of the box contents for different regions, as mine did not come with a eSATA bracket, nor is any mention made to it in the User Guide. - So i'm stuck with the eSATA port on the back plate.

I tried setting to AHCI, but it made no difference !

Any other suggestions are welcome :)

(in reply to SithTracy)
Post #: 19
RE: no eSATA detection - 4/17/2007 9:13:01 AM   
SithTracy

Do you have the latest drivers from Jmicrons FTP site?  Not that I think it will help... it is a horrible controller.  ASUS did it's users an injustice with this one.  You can always open a support case with ASUS too.

(in reply to Abyzz)
Post #: 20
RE: no eSATA detection - 4/17/2007 11:07:23 AM   
Abyzz

OK - its works

I messed about with settings, and in the BIOS i set the Jmicron to RAID

On booting, i did a CTRL + J to enter the RAID setup , and it told me there were not enough disks to make a Raid array - no problem , it left the disk showing up as Non-Raid , and i exited.
I let it get into Vista, and the "installing new software" bubble came up. Once it was finished, i went into device manager to see what was new, and under ata/Ide controllers, there were 8 entries for ata controllers, 4 channel 0 , and 4 channel 1 , with an exclaimation mark on them.
I downloaded the latest drivers for Vista on the Jmicron site, and installed them.
When finished, the drive came up on autoplay, and was present in Explorer.
A couple of reboots later and the drive is still there.

Yeyyyy !

Abyzz
Intel Core 2 Duo E6400
Asus P5B-E
3GB PC6400
Asetek Watercooled
1x120 GB Hitachi Sata Drive
2x250 GB Maxtor Sata Drives
1x120 GB Hitachi eSata Drive
Sony DVD-Rom
NEC 5170A DVD rw
Nvidia 7800 GTX
Antec 500W PSU
Samsung 22" w/

(in reply to SithTracy)
Post #: 21
RE: no eSATA detection - 4/17/2007 11:13:30 AM   
Freeco

d*mn, I definatelly need a SATA DVDwriter and reader then...
I can't select AHCI, as I need IDE to be able to detect my writer and reader

thanks for the drivers SithTracy. I looked on the JMicron site before, but didn't find any link to drivers anywhere

< Message edited by Freeco -- 4/17/2007 11:17:37 AM >

(in reply to Abyzz)
Post #: 22
RE: no eSATA detection - 4/17/2007 11:18:36 AM   
SithTracy

I have two SATA burners... the Plextor PX-755SA and the Pioneer DVR-212D (US version, may be just the DVR-212 outside of the U.S.)... I really like the Pioneer a lot.  It does not do bitsetting, but the burns are outstanding.

(in reply to Freeco)
Post #: 23
RE: no eSATA detection - 4/19/2007 8:02:37 PM   
Chingus

Well, there really are no options for that controller in the bios.  The only option is disable, raid, or sata2 mode.  The boot rom has the other options and you cant get to it without a drive being recognized.  The sata2 mode is for hot swapability on an external drive.  I have tried that mode as well as raid just for S&G's.  Still no dice.  I did find out that there were 2 different controllers used in the Vantec enclosures.  Vantec hasn't given me any answers since I told them which chipset I have in mine..... It's been over a week.....:(

(in reply to Freeco)
Post #: 24
RE: no eSATA detection - 6/20/2007 9:12:40 PM   
daemonarchangel

I also have a P5B-e and signed-up to let you guys know to just go to asus downloads here:

http://support.asus.com/default.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

select your socket and board, etc.  then select LATEST for drivers download.  d/l the JMicron JMB363 RAID Driver V1.17.6.4 WHQL for Windows 2000/XP & 64bit XP & 32/64bit Vista.

eventhough it says RAID only, it DOES have the driver for SCSI/hot-swap devices, too!  just run it within Vista or XP and select the appropriate tick-box and restart and BOOM!

Later

< Message edited by daemonarchangel -- 6/20/2007 9:18:12 PM >

(in reply to Abyzz)
Post #: 25
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [PC hardware] >> General Hardware Issues >> RE: no eSATA detection Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI