CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

WTK: Why do you need a mod chip?   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1372 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other] >> Game consoles >> WTK: Why do you need a mod chip? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
WTK: Why do you need a mod chip? - 3/16/2004 9:54:54 PM   
padan

Could anyone tell me why you need a mod chip to play back up games?
Post #: 1
RE: WTK: Why do you need a mod chip? - 3/16/2004 10:02:27 PM   
padan

Sorry. I wasn't finished.
Could anyone tell me why you need a mod chip to play PS2 back up's?
I read that you need the chip to boot the game, but why isn't the booting information copied when you burn the back up?
What exactly goes on when you insert a game into the console? For example, what is the game disk telling the console?
If the manufactures of the games are able to put the booting information on the original disk, why doesn't the burner copy this information to the back up copy?
Does anyone understand what I mean?

(in reply to padan)
Post #: 2
RE: WTK: Why do you need a mod chip? - 3/17/2004 4:46:03 AM   
Jimmys

The original disc contains some codes that the ps2 dvd-rom reads and if these codes are on the disc then the drive understand that its an original game and the game starts,
These codes cannot be written on a cd-r media and therefor a backup game does not start, because it does not contains the codecs
To fully understand that i will explain you how game shark works.
Game shark is a pressed dvd-rom that is used to boot any game.
So when you want to play a backuped game, you first boot with gameshark in order the ps2 dvdrom to read these codecs and then you prompt to insert the backuped game
Ok?

(in reply to padan)
Post #: 3
RE: WTK: Why do you need a mod chip? - 3/17/2004 11:29:04 AM   
reas11

he's right what i read aswell is that when you insert a backup it tells the ps2 to look for the codes and when you open and close the disc tray but when you use a mod chip it doesn't tell the ps2 that you have inserted the game it tells the modchip and the modchip doesn't seach for the codes .Don't you think it be good if the was some program what copys the codes when you copy the game

(in reply to padan)
Post #: 4
RE: WTK: Why do you need a mod chip? - 3/17/2004 7:17:43 PM   
padan

Thanks guys. Does the laser read these code, or does something else read the codes and than the laser reads the game? I just confused on how these codes are on the original disk and how the manufacture puts them on the disk and why they can't be recorded with the back up.
The only thing I can think of is that the codes are not burned on with a laser, but etched on with some other type of writing tool, but are able to be read by a laser.

(in reply to padan)
Post #: 5
RE: WTK: Why do you need a mod chip? - 3/23/2004 12:51:06 PM   
reas11

look mate it doesn't matter why you need a modchip you just do look here are some good chip shops www.modchip.com and www.modchipstore.com have a look they have got a cool xbox on modchipstore with a 120GB harddrive you can save over 100 games full games onto this harddriver and play them without putting the disc in and its a cool sliver (platinum) colour and the big switch on top is a nice icey light blue (better than green) cool

(in reply to padan)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Other] >> Game consoles >> WTK: Why do you need a mod chip? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI