CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Advice Needed   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1452 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [PC hardware] >> Motherboards/CPU >> RE: Advice Needed Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Advice Needed - 2/28/2006 11:38:35 AM   
SithTracy

quote:

they are called GPU's now not AGP after the arrival of PCIe

In your case, AGP is the correct term when I suggested upgrading your current system.

Why not consider a non-SLI nForce4 board, and an affordable AMD64 (socket 939) CPU, a decent couple of sticks of RAM (2x512), and a nForce 6600 based GPU (PCI-E)? ...you can probably get around a new PSU assuming you have at least 350W.

(in reply to Dsypher)
Post #: 33
RE: Advice Needed - 3/1/2006 5:16:10 AM   
Esskie

quote:

they are called GPU's now not AGP after the arrival of PCIe

A GPU is a Graphics Processing Unit or words to that effect, just as a CPU is a Central Processing Unit.

AGP is Advanced Gpraphics Port

my tuppenceworth

Regards, Esskie

Btw, I can highly recommend an AMD64 as already mentioned by SithTracy, also some of the Sckt-939 mobos are inexpensive. Also most of them will accept the Opteron and the newer CPU's in the pipeline. That said though, there is an even newer CPU socket on it's way!, you know what the I.T hardware industry is like!!

Catch 22
It's all swings and roundabouts....

(in reply to SithTracy)
Post #: 34
RE: Advice Needed - 3/1/2006 6:26:53 AM   
Dsypher

quote:

Why not consider a non-SLI nForce4 board, and an affordable AMD64 (socket 939) CPU, a decent couple of sticks of RAM (2x512), and a nForce 6600 based GPU (PCI-E)? ...you can probably get around a new PSU assuming you have at least 350W.

Not a bad idea.Which non-SLI nForce4 board do u have in mind?? Are you talking about the ASUS P5ND2-SLI?  I think it has SLI

There is no patch for ignorance...

(in reply to SithTracy)
Post #: 35
RE: Advice Needed - 3/1/2006 9:21:26 AM   
SithTracy

quote:

Are you talking about the ASUS P5ND2-SLI?

I was referring to an AMD board; not Intel.  If you were to consider an AMD socket 939 board, I have read good things about the ASUS A8N5X.  They also have one based on the nForce4 Ultra chipset: A8N-E...might be a few bucks more.

(in reply to Dsypher)
Post #: 36
RE: Advice Needed - 3/1/2006 12:03:25 PM   
Dsypher

Ok tell me something frankly. Why is it that AMD products are cheaper than Intel even though AMD products are "supposedly" better than Intel? And what makes AMD better than Intel ( I need the tech info ) ?

(in reply to SithTracy)
Post #: 37
RE: Advice Needed - 3/1/2006 2:29:53 PM   
SithTracy

Better is arguable.  Especially from Intel backers and/or bashers.  I am neither.  I build my first AMD system a few years ago and have not looked at Intel since, but that is not saying I won't again.  AMD holds roughly 20% of the x86 processor market... Intel pretty much has the rest (perhaps all but a single percentage point or less)... that sums up the cost factor for me... that and Intel's name probably adds 50% to the cost of their product.  AMD really does have a great product and it runs at lower clock speeds than Intel.  For example, I have a dual core AMD Athlon64 3800+ which would make you think it runs @ 3.8GHz... Well, it doesn't but can be compared to an Intel chip running at that same speed... Each core actually runs at 2.0GHz (assuming I am not over clocking... which I am @ 2.4GHz)... and that is a per core comparison... I had a single core 3500+ and it ran at 2.2GHz.  Any Intel user should not knock AMD until they try it... keep an open mind and you should be able to build a great system.  I know several people that have built AMD and will not go back to Intel and have become Intel bashers.  Not me.  As successful as Intel has been, I don't see them any less innovative as AMD seems to have been lately.  AMD makes a great product and I am sure they have been challenging the hell out of Intel... and that is a good thing.  Monopolies are bad and competition is good for consumers.

Bottom line, research yourself and accept guidance from jokers on forums (like me) -- take it with a grain of salt -- , but make your own judgement and look through any BS you might get.  Me, I am happy with AMD but I am a technical person that is a lead at my technical job... We are using Opteron's at work in the servers... still have Intel on the desktop/laptops, but we use Dells at the office.

(in reply to Dsypher)
Post #: 38
RE: Advice Needed - 3/1/2006 10:11:59 PM   
Dsypher

Ai8 thanx Tracy.. I'll give it a thought.

(in reply to SithTracy)
Post #: 39
RE: Advice Needed - 3/6/2006 5:06:16 AM   
Dsypher

Ok Im back again.. After sum brain storming and research I've decided to buy the following configurations. But as usual Im still open to better ( affordable ;) ) solutions !

Motherboard: ASUS A8N5X
Processor: AMD Athlon™ 64 Single-Core 3800+
RAM: 1 GB ( 512 MB + 512 MB ) DDR2 RAM (533)
GPU: GeForce FX 5700 Ultra

(in reply to SithTracy)
Post #: 40
RE: Advice Needed - 3/6/2006 7:19:56 AM   
SithTracy

You won't be using DDR2 RAM in a current AMD board.  That won't come until the next socket (AM2) later this year (2006-06-06).  Get yourself some decent DDR3200 RAM.  I should be cheaper as well.  Also, if you can still get one, a GeForce 6600 series video adapter might server you better.

(in reply to Dsypher)
Post #: 41
RE: Advice Needed - 3/6/2006 1:30:34 PM   
Dsypher

Ok how can I find out the speed of an AMD Processor. I couldnt find any tech info in their site. Whats the speed of AMD Athlon™ 64 Single-Core 3800+ ? Why are AMD motherboards so outdated?? Intel motherboards already have support for DDR2 RAM.

(in reply to SithTracy)
Post #: 42
RE: Advice Needed - 3/6/2006 6:26:10 PM   
SithTracy

quote:

Why are AMD motherboards so outdated??

Outdated???  You are misinformed.  AMD with DDR outperforms Intel with DDR2.  The difference is AMD integrates it's memory controller on the CPU.  You're mind has been trained by Intel through marketing... Faster clock speed, high speed system bus... all of this works, but I think AMD does it better.  Because of this, you get more from an AMD CPU running at a lower clock speed, and all they are doing is using Intel like marketing to give the end-user an idea of what to expect.  The single core 3800+ implies you should expect similar results from an Intel 3.8GHz processor.  The 3800+ single core runs at 2.4GHz.

Honestly, you're not ready to go AMD... Your mind is warped by Intel propaganda.  Intel does make a fine CPU and you'll be happy with the purchase of another... but if you ever do some true research on your own, you'll find that AMD also makes a fine CPU... and for the record, they plan a new socket AM2 later this year and will have integrated DDR2 memory controllers in the socket AM2 processors.  If AMD out performs Intel now with DDR, what will happen when they add DDR2???  I guess we will find out on June 6.

(in reply to Dsypher)
Post #: 43
RE: Advice Needed - 3/6/2006 10:20:07 PM   
Dsypher

quote:

Honestly, you're not ready to go AMD... Your mind is warped by Intel propaganda.

Thats not right trace . I'm jus trying to find out as much as I can before I buy anything since my hardware knowledge is limited. I like to ask questions  A LOT ! This is jus part of my research. So chill ok.

But I must say that Intel does better marketing than AMD  I always knew that AMD is better than Intel. I just dint have the facts. Well now that I do, I think i'll go for it !

(in reply to SithTracy)
Post #: 44
RE: Advice Needed - 3/6/2006 11:15:29 PM   
SithTracy

Got ya fired up a little, huh.  Just keep an open mind.  It is easy for people today to get comfortable with something and stick with it.  Sometimes trying something new is a good way to open your eyes to new things.  Hope you have good luck with whatever you choose.  AMD or Intel... both make good products and consumers deserve a choice.  You won't see me putting you down if you go with Intel over AMD.  If DDR2 is what you want and I have you looking at AMD, perhaps you want to save your money and hold out a couple more months for the socket AM2 boards.  I am waiting for ASUS and nVidia to announce their offerings.

Happy x86 computing!

(in reply to Dsypher)
Post #: 45
RE: Advice Needed - 3/9/2006 4:34:15 AM   
Dsypher

The following configuration is gonna cost me around 800$+. But my budget is only 400-500$  Any idea's??

Motherboard: ASUS A8N5X
Processor: AMD Athlon™ 64 Single-Core 3800+
RAM: 1 GB ( 512 MB + 512 MB ) DDR2 RAM (533)
GPU: GeForce 6600

(in reply to SithTracy)
Post #: 46
RE: Advice Needed - 3/9/2006 9:28:26 AM   
SithTracy

Dsypher, you're over looking something I said.  DDR2 (240-pin) memory won't work.  That mainboard needs DDR (168-pin) memory.  You could also step down to an Athlon 64 3000+/3200+/3500+ and save some bucks there.

< Message edited by SithTracy -- 3/9/2006 9:29:18 AM >

(in reply to Dsypher)
Post #: 47
RE: Advice Needed - 3/9/2006 10:12:51 PM   
Dsypher

quote:

ORIGINAL: SithTracy

Dsypher, you're over looking something I said.  DDR2 (240-pin) memory won't work.  That mainboard needs DDR (168-pin) memory.  You could also step down to an Athlon 64 3000+/3200+/3500+ and save some bucks there.

Ooops ! dis is wat happens when u copy-paste from previous messages. The RAM im goin 4 is 1 GB ( 512 MB + 512 MB ) (333 MHz). What kinda performance will get from the 3200+?

(in reply to SithTracy)
Post #: 48
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [PC hardware] >> Motherboards/CPU >> RE: Advice Needed Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI