CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: THREE audio CD-R burns skip at exactly the same place, original file is perfect   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1106 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage Software] >> Audio >> RE: THREE audio CD-R burns skip at exactly the same place, original file is perfect Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: THREE audio CD-R burns skip at exactly the same pla... - 2/4/2006 7:58:15 AM   
tomdrayson

Hi, there have been some interesting developments - burning with Winamp does not solve the problem, so it's not the software.  Also I have borrowed another CD/DVD writer and installed this, and the same problem occurs with CDs burnt using this drive! (I took out my DVD-ROM and installed the new drive as Slave).  So it's not a problem with the drive.  Any suggestions?

< Message edited by tomdrayson -- 2/4/2006 8:00:43 AM >

(in reply to SithTracy)
Post #: 17
RE: THREE audio CD-R burns skip at exactly the same pla... - 2/4/2006 8:43:38 AM   
SithTracy

Just scanned over the CDRinfo review of the PioneerDVR-110, go into your device manager and set the primary IDE channel to UltraDMA Mode 4 (DMA mode if available) and check your systems BIOS to insure UltraDMA is set.

(in reply to tomdrayson)
Post #: 18
RE: THREE audio CD-R burns skip at exactly the same pla... - 2/4/2006 8:56:00 AM   
tomdrayson

As I mentioned before, I have two primary IDE channels, the first one is set to "DMA if available", but the "current transfer mode" is "Multi-Word DMA 2", which cannot be changed.  The other primary IDE channel's "current transfer mode" is "Ultra DMA Mode 5", and cannot be changed.  Can you attach uploaded images to posts here?
Thanks

(in reply to SithTracy)
Post #: 19
RE: THREE audio CD-R burns skip at exactly the same pla... - 2/4/2006 9:36:28 AM   
tomdrayson

I just tried uninstalling my IDE Channels and my DVD-RW and rebooting, and the first CD I burnt was fine!  I think it's fixed but I can't be 100% sure, time for some more testing.  Thanks everybody for your suggestions.

(in reply to tomdrayson)
Post #: 20
RE: THREE audio CD-R burns skip at exactly the same pla... - 2/4/2006 9:39:43 AM   
SithTracy

Are you using the Intel Application Accelerator (or whatever it is called)?  If so, remove it and try to burn your disc again.  Another thing to try is removing the slave drive off the channel and see if it improves performance.  You may also have a faulty cable (doubt it, but it is worth the swap).

(in reply to tomdrayson)
Post #: 21
RE: THREE audio CD-R burns skip at exactly the same pla... - 2/4/2006 4:36:12 PM   
tomdrayson

ARGH!  The problem has now come back!  I managed to burn the first CD successfully as far as I can tell - the first track (which was the problematic one) is OK at least, so I thought it was fixed.  But now a second CD I am trying to burn skips at the same place on every copy, BUT this is a DIFFERENT place from where the first CD kept skipping.  And a third CD does the same (skips on every disk I burn, but at a different place from the other two CDs).  The first two CDs I was trying to burn are WAV files, the third was MP3 files, so it's not a codec/plugin problem either.

So, it does this with every CD-R, so it is not the media.
It does it on different burning software, so it's not that.
It does this with 2 CD-writers, and all IDE channels and burners are installed correctly, so it's not the hardware. 
And the source files are all perfect - is it possible that part of them can't be burnt properly for some reason even though they can be played perfectly?

Next, I am going to try removing my second CD-writer from the IDE cable as you have suggested, and then when I get chance I will transfer the source file to a friend's PC and burn it on there.

Oh, and I don't have Intel Application Accelerator, or anything similar, as far as I know (nothing in Add\Remove Programs...)
Thanks

< Message edited by tomdrayson -- 2/4/2006 4:56:54 PM >

(in reply to SithTracy)
Post #: 22
RE: THREE audio CD-R burns skip at exactly the same pla... - 2/4/2006 6:14:59 PM   
SithTracy

Not sure what kind of system memory you have, but you should run it through Memtest86+, just to rule out any memory problems.  You may want to also see if there is a BIOS update available for your motherboard.

Also, from past experience, I do not use Seagate hard discs.  Too must data loss.  You may want to find some utility to do a non-intrusive surface scan... For now, a boot time "Check Disk" from Windows might do the trick.

(in reply to tomdrayson)
Post #: 23
RE: THREE audio CD-R burns skip at exactly the same pla... - 2/4/2006 6:27:12 PM   
tomdrayson

Data loss with Seagate?  From my experience they are very good, they have certainly been recommended to me over Maxtor, IBM and Hitachi..., it cost a bomb as well! 

Anyway, I have already done a check disk.  As for RAM I have 2 dual-channelled Corsair 1GB chips (400Mhz).  My motherboard is a frustrating area, not because I have problems with it - (infact it is the most stable mobo I have had), but because the computer was built by "Advent", which is part of PC World in the UK, and the motherboard is a "Trigem Freeline Series" which I cannot find any updates for, and there is only minimal information. 

Just tried burning using the same version of Nero, the same CD-Rs and source files on another drive on another PC - flawless.  I have also established that of my three IDE channels (which I still don't understand) the one with my two drives on is the one with "Multi-Word DMA Mode 2" instead of Ultra DMA.  I have only just begun looking into this, but apparently, Windows switches the mode to this if persistent data transfer errors occur with Ultra DMA mode!  Considering I am still getting erroneous data on my burnt CDs (on every track might I add - now that I have listened all the way through) with BOTH CD-writers there must be a big problem somewhere!

< Message edited by tomdrayson -- 2/4/2006 6:30:54 PM >

(in reply to SithTracy)
Post #: 24
RE: THREE audio CD-R burns skip at exactly the same pla... - 2/4/2006 7:51:57 PM   
SithTracy

Well, a suggestion... Move the optical drives to the secondary IDE channel if your primary seems to be acting up.  I've run into a few system boards that one of the IDE controllers crapped out.  I think you mentioned you are using SATA hard discs so you should have an open IDE channel on your board.

(in reply to tomdrayson)
Post #: 25
RE: THREE audio CD-R burns skip at exactly the same pla... - 2/4/2006 7:58:48 PM   
tomdrayson

That's the thing, I only have one IDE channel, which is why I don't understand why there are 3 in device manager - one will be my floppy drive, but what is the third?  Removing my other CD writer did not fix the problem by the way.  I am trying to work out how to switch back to UDMA from this stupid Multi-Word thing....

(in reply to SithTracy)
Post #: 26
RE: THREE audio CD-R burns skip at exactly the same pla... - 2/4/2006 10:34:01 PM   
SithTracy

Floppy should be on a floppy controller; not IDE.  Most systems have a primary and secondary connector on the motherboard (2 - 40pin connectors labled primary and secondary), each capable of handling two devices (a master and slave).

Can you post a screen print of your device manager?  Expand the IDE COntroller and hit "ALT+PRT SCR" and then paste in into MS Paint and save it as a gif image and upload it.

(in reply to tomdrayson)
Post #: 27
RE: THREE audio CD-R burns skip at exactly the same pla... - 2/5/2006 6:43:05 AM   
tomdrayson

So if the floppy drive is on a floppy controller (which it is, obviously, my bad), and I only have one IDE channel (which I definitely do), why are there three in device manager?  I'm not sure how to upload an image, the only option I can see here is "add image" which prompts me for a URL.

(in reply to SithTracy)
Post #: 28
RE: THREE audio CD-R burns skip at exactly the same pla... - 2/5/2006 6:46:26 AM   
tomdrayson

OK I have started an HTTP server so you here's the picture.

< Message edited by tomdrayson -- 2/5/2006 6:47:18 AM >

(in reply to SithTracy)
Post #: 29
RE: THREE audio CD-R burns skip at exactly the same pla... - 2/7/2006 6:21:53 PM   
tomdrayson

ARGH!!!!!!!!!!  I have just formatted and reinstalled Windows, and my primary IDE channel is still using Multi-Word, and the erroneous CD burning has not been resolved.  Any ideas?
Thanks

(in reply to tomdrayson)
Post #: 30
RE: THREE audio CD-R burns skip at exactly the same pla... - 2/7/2006 7:52:25 PM   
MP3Mogul

I think you need to find an updated BIOS or driver for your motherboard. (Chipset).   If you are by chance using NVidia drivers, you need to use the windows drivers.

LG GSA H22L Firm 1.02
Samsung SH-203N Firm SB01
LiteOn SOHD-16P9S Firm FS0D

(in reply to tomdrayson)
Post #: 31
RE: THREE audio CD-R burns skip at exactly the same pla... - 2/9/2006 6:31:10 PM   
tomdrayson

Sorry for the delayed reply.  Due to a problem with my USB keyboard (that's another story), I could not access the BIOS, until my PS/2 keyboard came the other day.  I found what I was looking for - IDE UDMA - DISABLED.  I have no idea how this happened, but anyway, now it's back to "AUTO" (there is no "ENABLED"). 

I thought the problem was fixed - my first few CDs were fine (using source files which has previously skipped every time) - but now, sadly, the problem has resurfaced with a new CD (I checked by burning the original "problematic" CD, and guess what, the skips are in the same place...).  So something has "switched" the computer back to burning erroneous data.  UDMA 2 is still the transfer more for my IDE channel, so (this time) it's not a Multi-Word problem.  I have tried burning with each of my 2 RAM chips on their own, but this does not fix the problem - thus eliminating RAM (I think). 

In response to your BIOS/motherboard suggestion - this is another problematic area - my PC is made by Advent, who produce computers for PC World and other UK retailers, and the motherboard is identified by Sandra as a Trigem Freeline series, which I can't find anything for.  The BIOS is Phoenix AwardBIOS 6.00, which I thought was quite common, but I can't seem to download an update for that either.
So where do I go now?? 
Thanks

(in reply to MP3Mogul)
Post #: 32
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Optical Storage Software] >> Audio >> RE: THREE audio CD-R burns skip at exactly the same place, original file is perfect Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI