CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Western Digital 36GB Raptor VS Maxtor 250GB   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1669 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [PC hardware] >> General Hardware Issues >> RE: Western Digital 36GB Raptor VS Maxtor 250GB Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Western Digital 36GB Raptor VS Maxtor 250GB - 11/18/2005 1:35:31 AM   
SithTracy

If true speed, performance and reliabilty is what you seek, and money is truely not a factor, might I suggest SCSI?

Don't laugh people, SCSI has benchmarked faster for years.  I just got rid of an old Ultra2Wide setup in an ASUS P3B-F that is still rock solid and fast today!  I wish SCSI made a more affordable solution.  Best damn I/O device PERIOD.

Why did I stop using SCSI?  Diapers, man... Had kids and learned that diapers are really expensive.  It came down to going Ultra320 or Pampers Baby Dry... I made the right choice for the time being.  My kids are my life!

(in reply to Dimitris32)
Post #: 17
RE: Western Digital 36GB Raptor VS Maxtor 250GB - 11/18/2005 3:01:41 AM   
Dimitris32

Thanks for the replies, guys, but what I am curious about is which one of these 2 drives will have better performance in terms of faster speeds in practice...  I will be using Windows XP Pro... What do you think?  Which one of these 2 would give faster performance (bearing in mind Maxtor's extra cache)?

(in reply to SithTracy)
Post #: 18
RE: Western Digital 36GB Raptor VS Maxtor 250GB - 11/18/2005 7:36:49 AM   
SiliconFreak

HAHAHAHAHAHA....You just love to complicate huh?

I already told you...and many others also....RAPTOR is clear winner here! Period!

EDIT:
And btw...if money really isnt a problem here....why not buy 74GB version of Raptor? Even faster HDD and with more reasonable capacity....

< Message edited by SiliconFreak -- 11/18/2005 8:54:42 AM >

(in reply to Dimitris32)
Post #: 19
RE: Western Digital 36GB Raptor VS Maxtor 250GB - 11/18/2005 8:02:02 PM   
Dimitris32

quote:

ORIGINAL: SiliconFreak

HAHAHAHAHAHA....You just love to complicate huh?

I already told you...and many others also....RAPTOR is clear winner here! Period!

EDIT:
And btw...if money really isnt a problem here....why not buy 74GB version of Raptor? Even faster HDD and with more reasonable capacity....

Thanks...  

I take it from you then that Raptor is indeed the winner..

However, I am still trying to grasp why Maxtor's extra cache does not make up for Raptors extra rotational speed ... So far hard drives witnessed significant performance boosts by simply increasing their cache, e.g., 2 Maxtors who had otherwise equivalent specs (except their cache - 2MB vs 8MB) would show a significant speed difference, with the 8MB cache drive achieving better overall speed.

Do you know why this may be?

< Message edited by Dimitris32 -- 11/18/2005 8:45:20 PM >

(in reply to SiliconFreak)
Post #: 20
RE: Western Digital 36GB Raptor VS Maxtor 250GB - 11/18/2005 8:39:47 PM   
Dimitris32

quote:

ORIGINAL: SithTracy

If true speed, performance and reliabilty is what you seek, and money is truely not a factor, might I suggest SCSI?

Don't laugh people, SCSI has benchmarked faster for years.  I just got rid of an old Ultra2Wide setup in an ASUS P3B-F that is still rock solid and fast today!  I wish SCSI made a more affordable solution.  Best damn I/O device PERIOD.

Why did I stop using SCSI?  Diapers, man... Had kids and learned that diapers are really expensive.  It came down to going Ultra320 or Pampers Baby Dry... I made the right choice for the time being.  My kids are my life!

Wise decision...

I've never owned a SCSI drive myself, however, if Serial Attached SCSI (SAS) is available at some point in the near future, I will definitely suggest it to my friend... You know, it is much simpler (just PnP) than having to get an extra adapter card to connect it to, etc...

(in reply to SithTracy)
Post #: 21
RE: Western Digital 36GB Raptor VS Maxtor 250GB - 11/19/2005 6:12:23 AM   
Antonio

@ SithTracy

"...Why did I stop using SCSI?  Diapers, man... Had kids and learned that diapers are really expensive.  It came down to going Ultra320 or Pampers Baby Dry... I made the right choice for the time being.  My kids are my life! ..."

There's definately no question on that...

salute proffessionista!

(in reply to Dimitris32)
Post #: 22
RE: Western Digital 36GB Raptor VS Maxtor 250GB - 11/20/2005 12:27:43 PM   
major9686

To the dude that was askin' about the 2 HDDs :)
http://www.tomshardware.com/storage/20050927/hd_round_up-36.html

read this ...

(in reply to Antonio)
Post #: 23
RE: Western Digital 36GB Raptor VS Maxtor 250GB - 11/20/2005 5:40:38 PM   
Dimitris32

quote:

major9686

Thanks major9686... It seems Raptor is indeed the winner, especially the 74GB model  (strangely enough... I expected both the 36GB and the 74GB model to have similar characteristics)...

(in reply to major9686)
Post #: 24
RE: Western Digital 36GB Raptor VS Maxtor 250GB - 11/20/2005 6:18:52 PM   
SiliconFreak

Raptor is surely a winner!  And I also must say that i thought that both models are almost of identical speed and just different size...but 74GB version is surely one step ahead...thats why i recommended you this version if you have enough money to spend...

So like i said many times here already....for speed choose Raptor....and for capacity (or better average from speed&capacity) choose Maxtor...End of story...

But...even 36GB version of Raptor is slightly faster than Maxtor...so if you want to choose between them...and speed is your main concern...I would choose Raptor...but it's up to you to decide....Good Luck!

EDIT :
Also...Maxtor has the highest temperature readings of all tested drives (in article above)...it's not that temperature improves performance or anything...but still...lower is better...at least if you dont like that your computer also acts as a free heating system....

< Message edited by SiliconFreak -- 11/20/2005 6:25:59 PM >

(in reply to Dimitris32)
Post #: 25
RE: Western Digital 36GB Raptor VS Maxtor 250GB - 11/20/2005 7:21:02 PM   
Dimitris32

quote:

seems Raptor is indeed the winner, especially the 74GB model (strangely enough... I expected both the 36GB and the 74GB model to have similar characteristics)...

least if you dont like that your computer also acts as a free heating system....

At least my concern was clarified...  Raptor 74GB is the way to go then ...  Except if Raptor SATA II, or even better, SAS drives (running at 15,000 rpms) come into the market.

I will be building my friend's new pc system in the first half of 2006, so do you think SAS technology may have become mainstream in the market by then? 

< Message edited by Dimitris32 -- 11/20/2005 7:27:13 PM >

Post #: 26
RE: Western Digital 36GB Raptor VS Maxtor 250GB - 11/20/2005 7:52:30 PM   
SiliconFreak

Raptor 74GB is surely a way to go...at least for now...

And about future....SAS will surely be a winner...but i dont know when will it become a mainstream....maybe somewhere in 2nd Q of 2006....dont know...lets wait and see..because...prices will drop...there will be better,faster,more reliable drives with more capacity...and more and more...because at least in computer market waiting pays off...

Finally...I doubt that if they manufacture some Raptor on SATA-II that it will be much faster than existing one...because its just a data bus thats faster....but to achieve overall speed&performance increases...drive needs to be able to phisically read&drive faster....which can only be achieved by spinning it faster or manufacturing higher density plates (so that data is written more closer - and so, the drive is also able to access and read it quicker)...well thats my theory and thinking....

But if you want 15K(15,000RPM!!!) SAS drive....they are already on the market....just check Seagate's Cheetah 15K.4 series...maybe this is the drive your friend wants...3.3ms seek...mmmmmmmmmmm....and it also comes in 36,73 and 146GB versions....so...maybe this is your friends King Of The Hill?

Good luck & cya around....

Best wishes

SF.

(in reply to Dimitris32)
Post #: 27
RE: Western Digital 36GB Raptor VS Maxtor 250GB - 11/20/2005 10:39:36 PM   
Dimitris32

Cheers, Silicon,

I thank you and everyone else for their usuful advice and information!

Dimitris

Post #: 28
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [PC hardware] >> General Hardware Issues >> RE: Western Digital 36GB Raptor VS Maxtor 250GB Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI