CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

A waste of money? Please help   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 680 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [PC hardware] >> Graphics Cards >> A waste of money? Please help Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
A waste of money? Please help - 8/7/2005 2:33:30 PM   
Renrek

I just bought a xfx geforce fx 5500 it has 256m, thought this would be a upgrade froma radeon 9200 128m. when ever i try to play my games i get crashes, graphical errors, i tried diffrent drivers for graphics card, diffrent bios settings and i can't seem to get it to function correctly. I am at the point of re installing the old card becouse i am starting to feel like i am driving nails into the wall with my forehead.
Post #: 1
RE: A waste of money? Please help - 8/7/2005 4:48:07 PM   
Matthew

http://www.drivercleaner.net/

IT may need a cleanup of old driver componenents, the untidyness left behind, as you are switching from ATI to Nvidia.

It's also possible that the power supply is not up to the demands, but an FX5500 is hardly an "exotic".
You also get systems that just "don't like Nvidia cards" or "don't like ATI cards" - no doubt with infinite time and patience, a reason may be revealed, but it's a problem that's usually easier to run away from.

One thing, if the BIOS has an option to disable use of 8x AGP (assuming it has 8x), then try that - it can often improve stability.

(in reply to Renrek)
Post #: 2
RE: A waste of money? Please help - 8/8/2005 7:12:00 PM   
SiliconFreak

Hello!

Dont know exactly why did you go for Fx5500....maybe because of its 256MB of Ram? Because otherwise its not much better than R9200...I would stick with ATI in your case...

So....try some steps that Matthew mentioned...hopefully they'll help you out...and also...post your entire configuration (M/b,cpu,ram,OS,etc....) so we could see if there's some other compatibility problem here... Also...I just wonder if this 5500 is maybe overclocked? Cause that may also cause problems!

Let us know about your progress...and we'll see what to do next...

Good luck!

(in reply to Matthew)
Post #: 3
RE: A waste of money? Please help - 8/9/2005 11:20:17 PM   
Renrek

I bought the xfx geforce fx 5500 becouse i could not get kotor or kotor 2 to run properly. When the radeon 9200  was put threw the config test said it needed a nivida driver to play. Right now i am running duel AMD athlon MP 1800+'s, 1gig of ram and running winXp home. I can play doom3, halo, and half life 2 with little to no problems at all with the old card, but for some reason Knights of the old republic 1 and 2 crash about every 10 to 30 min. Which is odd becouse the requirements for the game are far lower then the others I play from above. I bought the nvidia becouse I hardly any problems before with that brand.  When I installed the "new" card halo, battlefield Vietnam, and both kotor's did not run at all.  I tried tech support with the card, could never get ahold of them, and called lucus arts and they never got back to me after I sent them a direct x diag.    
My Motherboard dose not suport agp x8, it only supports x4. I reinstalled the old ati radeon 9200 so i could at least play all my old games, so now i am only stuck with both kotor's not running . Hope this helps, if you need any more info let me know

(in reply to SiliconFreak)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [PC hardware] >> Graphics Cards >> A waste of money? Please help Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI