CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Help! Weird issue using CD-W552E w/DJ/Alcohol   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1303 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> CD, DVD, BD Drives >> Writing Quality >> Help! Weird issue using CD-W552E w/DJ/Alcohol Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Help! Weird issue using CD-W552E w/DJ/Alcohol - 6/6/2003 2:58:03 PM   
Just Me

I recently purchased this writer. When I use DJ/Alcohol, for some unknown reason it is ALWAYS unable to write up to the desired speed I choose. For example, a CDR is 40x certified but the writing speed will always drop when approaching 50% or later of the disc. I have tried 3 different kinds of media already. [xx(]

I tried Nero it doesn't seem to have this problem. Also with the same 3 brands of media. Anyone knows WTH is going on? Getting pretty pissed off.
Post #: 1
RE: Help! Weird issue using CD-W552E w/DJ/Alcohol - 6/6/2003 3:01:52 PM   
Just Me

quote:
Originally posted by Just Me

I recently purchased this writer. When I use DJ/Alcohol, for some unknown reason it is ALWAYS unable to write up to the desired speed I choose. For example, a CDR is 40x certified but the writing speed will always drop when approaching 50% or later of the disc. I have tried 3 different kinds of media already. [xx(]

I tried Nero it doesn't seem to have this problem. Also with the same 3 brands of media. Anyone knows WTH is going on? Getting pretty pissed off.

Oh yeah, using firmware v1.09 too.

(in reply to Just Me)
Post #: 2
RE: Help! Weird issue using CD-W552E w/DJ/Alcohol - 6/6/2003 9:08:58 PM   
ant_

The specific drive has a limited media list for writing at the max speed. Is the DMA enabled?

(in reply to Just Me)
Post #: 3
RE: Help! Weird issue using CD-W552E w/DJ/Alcohol - 6/7/2003 5:50:48 AM   
Just Me

Hell yeah.. DMA (UDMA2) is enabled all right.

I tried 3 brands of 40x certified CDRs. (Gigastorage, prodisc make)

When I use nero, it has NO problems hitting 40x at the end. In other words, there are no speed flactuations all the way. But not with DJ/Alcohol.

(in reply to Just Me)
Post #: 4
RE: Help! Weird issue using CD-W552E w/DJ/Alcohol - 6/7/2003 2:10:28 PM   
sp

The recording strategy that the drive follows during writing is based on specific instructions embedded within its firmware posrtion of code.

The software, normally, has (or shold not) have any access to this. (Except of informative messages about the location of speed reductions taking place.)
It seems, in your case, this recording strategy is based on the type of recording format. (Nero uses a different one from the other software you are using.)

It might also be the case that your software explixitly requests, before burning starts, your drive to follow a more conservative algorithm.
In this case, it should offer the user an option to shoose so, if he likes it... and not decide by itself.

WM # CI

(in reply to Just Me)
Post #: 5
RE: Help! Weird issue using CD-W552E w/DJ/Alcohol - 6/7/2003 6:48:39 PM   
Just Me

Well, thanks sounds like a more logical explanation. I do not know what is the real problem. As I noticed, my cdspeed is not even recognising my blank medias (CDRs/CD-RW) properly. a 79 min cdr is detected as a 83:14 min blank and so is my 24x Ultra Speed 74 min CD-RW.

Crazy. Maybe alcohol is fugging things up.

(in reply to Just Me)
Post #: 6
RE: Help! Weird issue using CD-W552E w/DJ/Alcohol - 6/8/2003 1:03:06 PM   
rjw

I think it could be the ASPI layer in this case.
Since NERO is one of the few program that uses its' own ASPI layer.
All other named software work with the external ASPI layer from adaptec/microsoft.
So I suggest installing ADAPTEC aspi layer (4.6 if I am right. Use Search in this forum for the location and the correct version.)

(in reply to Just Me)
Post #: 7
RE: Help! Weird issue using CD-W552E w/DJ/Alcohol - 6/8/2003 3:31:31 PM   
Just Me

Thanks, but I am back to ASPI layer v4.60. Didn't help. Somehow, I think its alcohol.. but I cant confirm.

I remember that when I was using the Teac W540E back then and cdspeed recognised my 79min blanks as 32 mins. Of course, when I was using a fresh copy of winxp, it was normal.

I can't say that my current burner is faulty. As Nero seems to burn at optimum speed without and slowdowns. Any more suggestions?

(in reply to Just Me)
Post #: 8
RE: Help! Weird issue using CD-W552E w/DJ/Alcohol - 9/16/2003 5:53:26 AM   
MELVINS3RD

MY CDW552E 52x24x52 IDE CD-RW Drive WILL NOT WRITE
I HAVE DOWNLOADED 4816_5.BIN BUT I AM NOT SURE WHERE TO PUT IT

(in reply to Just Me)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> CD, DVD, BD Drives >> Writing Quality >> Help! Weird issue using CD-W552E w/DJ/Alcohol Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI