RE: Upgrading the ND-6450A (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> Firmware >> NEC

UlkeshKosh -> RE: Upgrading the ND-6450A (7/27/2005 6:22:41 AM)

Emperor,

Thanks for everything.  I flashed my drive with the 6500A 2.24 Firmware and it works great now.

It now runs DMA rather than PIO and doesn't bring my laptop to a grinding halt when I burn cds or DVDs.

Thanks Again.

soljarag -> RE: Upgrading the ND-6450A (8/16/2005 7:00:23 PM)

hey, i'm just wondering if upgrading the filmware to the 6500 has any more benifits other than DL

and how do you check if its running in dma or pio mode?

UlkeshKosh -> RE: Upgrading the ND-6450A (8/16/2005 7:50:05 PM)

I'm the case of my notebook, the Drive now runs in DMA mode rather than PIO.

It runs slightly faster and doesn't flog the CPU as much as DMA mode transfers are less CPU intensive.

To check if your drive is running in DMA or PIO mode under windows XP do the following:

1 - Right-Click my computer the choose "Properties"
2 - Select the Hardware tab and click the "Device Manager" Button
3 - Expand out the "IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers" and double click on the channel (either primary or secondary) your dvd drive is connected to.
4 - Under the "Advanced Settings" it should list device 0 & 1, 0 being the master and 1 being the slave.

It should list the mode under there.

soljarag -> RE: Upgrading the ND-6450A (8/16/2005 7:57:34 PM)

thanks, yep its running in dma mode. I don't plan on buying dvd+dl until the prices go down, so should i wait to upgrade, or does it improve other stuff too?

UlkeshKosh -> RE: Upgrading the ND-6450A (8/16/2005 8:13:14 PM)

It also updates the media list so some media will burn at a faster speed.

Keep in mind that doing this voids you warranty, if your not confortable with doing this then don't.

Make sure your keep a copy of your old firmware first so if something goes wrong or the drive doesn't respond you can put the old firmware back on.

Edit:  Is it running DMA or Ultra DMA?

soljarag -> RE: Upgrading the ND-6450A (8/16/2005 8:22:52 PM)

Ultra DMA Mode 5  .... i acually had a 2X dvd+rw in this compaq laptop, and it quit working, so when i called, i asked if i could upgrade the dvd-rw, and he said he couldnt, so when this arrived i was extreamly happy :)

I bought 200 ritek dvd+r's, and they write a full dvd in 12:55 .... i think ill wait to upgrade

thanks for the information though

zer0k4 -> RE: Upgrading the ND-6450A (8/18/2005 12:46:59 AM)

I've sucessfully flashed the firmware on my NEC ND-6450A to ND-6500A (firmware v2.24).

I get new media support and faster write speeds but, I still don't see dual layer listed in the Read Features or Write Features sections of Nero Infotool. (Nero Ultra 6.3.0.3).

I've changed the booktype setting using Binflash GUI 1.18 -- Under "DVD+R DL (none)" I have it set to "dvd+r dl (active)".

Am I missing something here?

*** EDIT: Stupid oversight on my part. Infotool 1.18 doesn't display DL information. I downloaded a copy of Infotool 3.0 and it displays the info about dual layer!).

soljarag -> RE: Upgrading the ND-6450A (8/18/2005 12:55:47 AM)

is 12:55 a normal time, or is it slow?

zer0k4 -> RE: Upgrading the ND-6450A (8/18/2005 12:57:14 AM)

i don't follow.  what is your question?

soljarag -> RE: Upgrading the ND-6450A (8/18/2005 1:09:55 AM)

how long does it usually take to burn a full dvd at 8x with this nec drive?

JediAlien -> RE: Upgrading the ND-6450A (8/23/2005 2:45:54 PM)

I've sucessfully flashed the firmware on my NEC ND-6450A to ND-6500A (current firmware v2.23 TDB).

It works great for CDR/RW, DVD+R/RW & DVD-R/RW media, but not for DL media.

I've tried firmware versions 2.22, 2.23, 2.24 and 2.no. All give the same result. I've also tried modifing the booktype to dvd-rom and dvd+r dl but it made no difference

I always get the same result in Nero: Illegal disc, and similar in other burning software.

The media I'm using is the following:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD+R-DL:RITEK-D01-001]
Disc & Book Type :       [DVD+R DL] - [Not Available]
Manufacturer Name :      [Ritek Corp.]
Manufacturer ID :        [RITEK]
Media Type ID :          [D01]
Product Revision :       [001]
Blank Disc Capacity :    [4,173,824 Sectors = 8.55 GB (7.96 GiB)]
Recording Speeds :       []
[ DVD Identifier - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]

Anyone have any ideas what the problem may be?

*** EDIT: Problem solved I used Liggy's NEC drive converter http://liggydee.cdfreaks.com/page/driveconv/ to change the drive ID from ND6450a to ND6500a, I had to reboot a few times for it to take but in the end it worked.

Jimjons -> RE: Upgrading the ND-6450A (8/29/2005 11:50:40 AM)

ok i need some help.... i have no idea what the problem is and how to fix it... i bought some new 16x Memorex DVD+r's and it says i need to update my firmware for use of a 16x dvd even though i cannot burn at this speed. I looked and this is the only help for this burner, and i bought a hundred of these things and i need them very badly to work for my job and i was just wondering how can i make them work ... someone said that flashing your drive will help but i do not understand what this is all about and please please help me understand why i cannot use 16x disks... its stupid!...

HELP ME!

jeremy

SixIron -> RE: Upgrading the ND-6450A (9/24/2005 11:22:06 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: JediAlien

*** EDIT: Problem solved I used Liggy's NEC drive converter http://liggydee.cdfreaks.com/page/driveconv/ to change the drive ID from ND6450a to ND6500a, I had to reboot a few times for it to take but in the end it worked.

Even after following all the other steps outlined in this thread Nero 6.6.0.16 was generating errors as soon as I tried to burn a DL +R.  I was about ready to hurl my laptop out the window in disgust.  Finally after about the 5th reboot it began working and is now 50% complete on it's first DL burn.  For any latecomers to this thread, reboot several times after flashing and setting booktype to DVD-ROM.  It may save you some grief.

princemartinez -> RE: Upgrading the ND-6450A (2/4/2006 1:42:05 PM)

Jimjons,
I'm a newly registered member on this website. But I also had the same problem last night when I bought (75) 16x Memorex DVD-Rs that didn't work with my drive. What a waste of money right? Well, not quite. After countless hours of reconfiguring software settings, I finally contacted HP and Microsoft for an answer. After speaking HP, I found that my drive (NEC ND-6450A) didn't accept 16x.  According to HP, there were no firmware updates available.  My best option was to go out and buy a NEC ND-6550 drive.
Disagreeing with this option, I decided to research. I came across this site and read every forum discussing my drive issue.  I followed the directions given from these genious members and have burned 5 16x DVD-Rs successfully.  My drive is no longer a ND-6450A.  It is now described as a ND 6550. 
I thank my patience and the help of this forum. I save a lot of money and hassle with removing my factory DVD-ROM drive.
Thanks guys! [:)] www.preciousreminders.com

Alvin -> RE: Upgrading the ND-6450A (2/22/2006 11:42:43 AM)

I have a similar problem.  HP has forwarded the firmware to upgrade my NEC ND-6450A but it will not work with the BINFLASH version that I have.  Do you have an url where I can get the upgrade to binflash?
Thanks

Alvin -> RE: Upgrading the ND-6450A (2/22/2006 1:19:05 PM)

Would you be able to point me to a copy of the upgrade to binflash? The version I have won't recognize my  ND-6450A.  Also I haven't been able to write to any DVD media.  Records CDs but not DVDs.  Firmware version is 2.36.
Thanks [:(]

Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI