About PCI express (Full Version)

All Forums >> [PC hardware] >> Motherboards/CPU

Fallen Paladin -> About PCI express (6/28/2004 7:56:23 AM)

Is it money's worth to buy a PCI-express motherboard than a normal one?

Leviathan -> RE: About PCI express (6/28/2004 8:12:45 AM)

Firstly I'd like to post some things about the PCI express architecture.

PCI Express, (also known as Third Generation I/O, 3GIO, and Arapahoe) should allow us to have more than adequate bandwidth for another decade. Unlike its older cousin, PCI-Express is a fully serial interface, rather than the parallel bus architecture found in the current PCI bus. It can be used for many functions, including universal connectivity for use as a chip-to-chip interconnect, I/O interconnect for adapter cards, an I/O attach point to other interconnects. PCI Express can provide I/O attach points for high-performance graphics, 1394b, USB 2.0, InfiniBand Architecture, Gigabit networking and many other bandwidth hungry architectures.

Having all these in mind, it seems that the PCI Express architecture will boost performance, offering next level functions and more bandwidth. Now, about purchasing a PCI-Express based motherboard may not be a good idea since the price is still high.

Maybe in some time when prices fall we'll be able to talk more openly about PCI-express based boards.

Almanac -> RE: About PCI express (6/28/2004 8:38:41 AM)

Here are some other features of the PCI-Express

• PCI software compatibility
• Scalable performance for multiple computing and communications market segments
• Suitable for chip-to-chip, board-to-board, add-in peripherals and backplane implementations
• Support for end-to-end data integrity to achieve highly-available solutions
• Advanced error reporting and handling for fault isolation and system recovery
• Native power management functions for flexible platform power budgeting
• Inherent hot plug and hot swap capabilities with compatible support for existing PCI hot-plug schemes
• Low-overhead, low-latency data transfers and maximized interconnect efficiency
• Differentiated services through isochronous data delivery for bandwidth-sensitive applications
• Multi-hierarchy and advanced peer-to-peer communications across fabric topologies
• High-bandwidth, low pin-count implementations for optimized performance
• Cost effective silicon component designs relative to package and die-area

Zeratul -> RE: About PCI express (6/28/2004 9:02:24 AM)

good info about PCI express here

Leviathan -> RE: About PCI express (6/28/2004 9:16:24 AM)

Thanks for the info guys...

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI