oh dear (Full Version)

All Forums >> [PC hardware] >> General Hardware Issues

sanitycheck -> oh dear (5/20/2004 3:02:38 AM)

hi. have a toshiba satellite installed with windows xp. it's about two years old. today it shut itself off, and when i went to turn it back on it gave me the ominous 'operating system not found' message. i tried to run my recovery disc, but it won't even get past the first one before it shuts itself down again. i am able to get into the setup as well. i really could use some help and would seriously appreciate it. thanks a bunch.

-rose

Tony Veglis -> RE: oh dear (5/20/2004 5:17:23 AM)

Did you have an unexpexted but normal shutdown ("Windows is shuting down .. etc) or it suddenly turned off, just like when you cut the power off?

sanitycheck -> RE: oh dear (5/20/2004 12:44:21 PM)

it just suddenly turned off. no warning or anything.

Laffin Assassin -> RE: oh dear (5/20/2004 3:43:11 PM)

Have you got a Virus Program installed and has it been kept up to date with Upgrades ? [:)]

sanitycheck -> RE: oh dear (5/20/2004 11:36:17 PM)

yes on both accounts.

Laffin Assassin -> RE: oh dear (5/20/2004 11:46:43 PM)

Well now we have cleared that up how old is the Battery and has it been fully charged and has it been holding it's power for a reasonable time and have you got access to try another Battery !!! [:)]

Tony Veglis -> RE: oh dear (5/21/2004 4:54:04 AM)

Sorry but I think it is a hardware failure. Are your hard disks recognized in the bios console?

sanitycheck -> RE: oh dear (5/21/2004 10:16:18 PM)

my batteries were fully charged when it shut down and i was actually using the wall adapter as the power source.

sanitycheck -> RE: oh dear (5/21/2004 10:19:26 PM)

yes. it recognizes the hard disk in the bios console. and you're not the first person to suggest the hardware failure.

mtrivs -> RE: oh dear (7/6/2004 9:54:02 PM)

I had the same exact thing happen to me. The first thing i would reccomend is running scandisk. if that doesnt work then you should us the ms-dos command prompt (copy [full path of file]) to back up the things you might need to floppy. Then format using the u switch ( format c: /u ) that will erase all sytem files and everything. Then re-install windows. I did this and then windows would not boot. I ran scan disk and it found problems with both my allocation tables and bad clusters, but scandisk did fix all of these errors. Hope this helps!

jbelder -> RE: oh dear (9/26/2004 10:39:23 PM)

I myself think your hard drive crashed if its not finding the os it' more than likely your hard drive. Could be the boot sector too maybe.[:(]

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI