VCD on PLAYSTATION 2?? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Optical Storage Software] >> Video

DieHaerte -> VCD on PLAYSTATION 2?? (12/5/2001 4:44:50 PM)

Hi Guys!

I need some help!!!

I'm going to burn my own VideoCDs. The question is will the VCD
the play on the PLAYSTATION 2????:rolleyes:

Does it need to be a CD-R or CD-RW? Does it matter?
And which brands work fine as VCDs?

I also have a Toshiba DVD-Player SD-1600. The manual says nothing about VCD playback but maybe it works anyway? :confused

Before I buy a video capture card I need to know if I'm able to playback the VCDs then with my equipment.

I don't want to buy ANOTHER player just for the VCD!

Also what about the CD-I format? What's the difference between VCD and CD-I? I could burn this with my plextor,too.

Thanks alot!!!

This is: DIE HAERTE
===================

23-17 -> RE: VCD on PLAYSTATION 2?? (12/5/2001 5:57:41 PM)

PS2 does not play VCD. PS1 does with an add-on. PS2 may with a special boot cd + vcd 'game' software; I've never tried it but the software is out there. The SD-1600 will play VCDs only on CD-RW, not CDRs. It has been reported to play long strategy (dark green recording side) CDRs too, but results are mixed.

CD-i was the original green book format from Philips and Sony; later Philips only. Video-CD is basically an integrate subset of the CD-i format. When you create a standard compliant VCD on most software (like Nero) a CD-i app is integrated into the disc. You don't need to worry about burning CD-i only CDRs anymore since dedicated CD-i only players are now defunct. Burning as a standard compliant VCD is your best bet for compatibility.

Edited by - 23-17 on 12/05/2001 17:58:23

DieHaerte -> RE: VCD on PLAYSTATION 2?? (12/6/2001 12:45:17 PM)

quote:

PS2 does not play VCD. PS1 does with an add-on. PS2 may with a special boot cd + vcd 'game' software; I've never tried it but the software is out there. The SD-1600 will play VCDs only on CD-RW, not CDRs. It has been reported to play long strategy (dark green recording side) CDRs too, but results are mixed.

Sony told me on the hotline PS2 may play VCDs!

How are the results (picture quality) on the SD-1600?
Does it look better than on standard VHS tape?

Which software do you guys recommend to produce VCDs??
(I have a Plexwriter)

thank you!

Edited by - DieHaerte on 12/06/2001 12:48:57

Edited by - DieHaerte on 12/06/2001 13:06:21

23-17 -> RE: VCD on PLAYSTATION 2?? (12/6/2001 10:22:59 PM)

Sony may claim VCD support. But this may or may not be true depending on your PS2 revision and your geographical location. For instance the US version does not have (tested) VCD support for CDR/RWs.

VCDs look similar to VHS except the data does not degrade with repeated play and you can easily cue to any location in the video; it has all the features an audio CDs would offer over audio tape, but not the additional quality when it comes to video. SVCDs look better than Super VHS (SVHS), but you can't fit as much video on a CD. SVCD also has lower compatibility with standalone players; The SD-1600 does not support SVCD.

How to make VCDs: http://www.cdrinfo.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1915

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI