App to recover files from DVD+RW?? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Optical Storage Software] >> CD/DVD Authoring

Esskie -> App to recover files from DVD+RW?? (4/5/2006 2:29:49 PM)

Hi There,
Just recently I (I was in a hurry at the time [sm=fun_84.gif]) decided to make a backup of all sorts of crap onto a DVD+RW, everything from game maps, mods etc, to those usefull little programs you tend to accumulate. All went well until I done the taboo of all backups!!!, not thinking I deleted the 'temp burn folder I'd placed everything to be burned into so I knew there was only one copy & that's where it was.......before checking the freshly burned disc!!! [sm=5.gif].

As my luck was at the time, only a few of the smaller files could be retrieved from the disc but there's still a lot I'd like to try & get back.

Anyone know of any file retrieval/restoration? progs, pref freeware?, nothin against trials but the few of this type I've seen so far find the files but don't retrieve them for you till you buy the app or are only good for HDs not CD/DVDs.

Any info at all would be greatly appreciated :) .

Sorry, I did mean to mention that it's a DVD+RW thats been used a few times now (not dozens & dozens of times but a few now), it's also a bit getting slightly scratched but I've seen worse still play?. Then again, it may just be dead!!??.

Best Regards, Esskie.

Antonio -> RE: App to recover files from DVD+RW?? (4/6/2006 6:22:10 AM)

For data recovery search for Isobuster or Bad Copy Pro.

Esskie -> RE: App to recover files from DVD+RW?? (4/7/2006 11:16:45 AM)

Hi There Antonio,
I hope you are well friend, thanx for the reply.

Anyhow, I have downloaded both ISOBuster & BadCopy to give them a proper try, most of the files on the DVD are compressed & have *.rar extension. I had compressed many smaller programs into a few big *rar files. So far the smaller files seem savable but there are a couple over 1Gb (1.2Gb & 1.5Gb etc,). These seem to be the files I can't get back, it seems that these larger files are the ones with bust sectors?.
A fair amount has been retrieved or replaced but not all of it. Not one of my 'on the ball moments' when I burned that disc mate! :) lol.

Regards, Esskie.

Antonio -> RE: App to recover files from DVD+RW?? (4/9/2006 5:31:32 AM)

Maybe the data you lost to be on the unreadable areas.

Esskie -> RE: App to recover files from DVD+RW?? (4/9/2006 1:10:41 PM)

Yep Antonio,
Here is a list of all the bad sectors on the disc & what file that sector is part of.

0287534 , E:\drivers etc.rar
0590593 , E:\Freemem.rar
0590694 , E:\Full Apps.rar
1301955 , E:\games.rar
1964537 , E:\misc.rar
1970762 , E:\Outlook Express.rar
1990829 , E:\PowerDVD5_Patch_2214.exe
1995868 , E:\RegRun Platinum Trial.zip
2000525 , E:\RegRun reanimator.zip
2001636 , E:\Satori Music Startup HQ.wav
2002618 , E:\web design.rar
2276310 , E:\wrar351.exe
2276806 , E:\Registry Mechanic Setup.exe
2278744 , E:\taskmanager16.exe

I did manage to get my 'Doom' folder out intact [sm=ak.gif] , it was around 433Mb and contained various patches, game mods, maps etc.

Regards, Esskie

Antonio -> RE: App to recover files from DVD+RW?? (4/10/2006 1:14:22 AM)

At least you don't actually need most of them.[:)]

Esskie -> RE: App to recover files from DVD+RW?? (4/10/2006 3:26:59 AM)

Hi There,
quote:

At least you don't actually need most of them.[:)]

That's right, most of it's all stuff that I have again already such as the drivers etc. The 'Full Apps' files has a few progs that I may not get again but most of those are old versions.

Same goes for the games stuff, it's all out there on the net, only thing that really bothers me is the time spent downloading it all again!!, :).

Oh well, something else to place my coffee mug on :)

Regards, Esskie.

Esskie -> RE: App to recover files from DVD+RW?? (4/13/2006 5:47:18 AM)

Btw, anyone give me what kind of lifespan to expect from most DVD(-/+)RW discs please?.

I'm aware that the more they are used & erased/formatted the shorter their usuable life. Mostly everything is put onto DVD(-/+)R but I do use RWs for temp stuff.
Such as taking software thats too large to be emailed (pics, websites I've made?, various game mods/maps etc,?) to someone's house to give to transfer to their PC and suchlike.

It's uses like this that I would rather use a RW rather than use 10%-15% of a DVD-R or CD-R only to have it trashed. Basically I don't like burning 100Mb onto a 703Mb/4.7Gb disc & then seeing it hit the trash!.

LoL!, I'm Scottish so maybe what's said about us being tight with our wads is true?!?!? :)

Best Regards, Esskie.

MP3Mogul -> RE: App to recover files from DVD+RW?? (4/13/2006 5:50:26 PM)

I don't recommend using DVDRW's... for anything other than for copying programs from one computer to the next.  If you need the "true" portability and DVD Size, I would suggest getting a drive that supports writing DVD RAM.... it's great, and doesn't have the problem that DVDRW's do....

Esskie -> RE: App to recover files from DVD+RW?? (4/14/2006 4:24:46 AM)

Hi there MP3Mogul,
You've mentioned that to me before mate, it's about time I listened!!., seriously though I was gonna pickup a few RAM discs last time I was in town but totally forgot.

Am I mistaken or did you have a 4167B (DL13) as I have yes?, what kind of RAM discs do you use?, I mean any that should be avoided that you've came across so far?.

You're bang on tho, for just moving files from A to B without the use of wires or WiFi, DVD-RAM seem my best option.

Regards, Esskie.

MP3Mogul -> RE: App to recover files from DVD+RW?? (4/14/2006 7:09:40 AM)

I have been using Maxell RAM discs without any problem.... used them hundreds of times each... never had a fail...

Esskie -> RE: App to recover files from DVD+RW?? (4/14/2006 8:23:32 AM)

Maxell, I'm sure I've used Maxell CD-Rs in the past?, good discs.

Am I correct in saying that TDK & Maxell discs are one and the same do you know?, not that it's important, just seem to remember something about it?.
Talking of TDK, used those before with no complaints, of late tho I been buying DataWrite DVD blanks and got kind of used to them. I'll have a look around online at quality & prices etc, then next time I'm near a shop I'll see if there are any in stock.
Only going to need a couple of RAM discs anyway as you'll appreciate.

Regards, Esskie.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI