Xbox 360 DVDR Backups Possible (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Other] >> Game consoles

Clint -> Xbox 360 DVDR Backups Possible (3/21/2006 7:59:45 PM)

Microsoft's so-called system that contains "levels of security hackers have never seen before", ended up being just that - hackers were very suprised how easy it was to create a working backup on DVDR of Xbox 360 software titles. The hackers stated that they were *amazed* at the incompetence of the years of development and many millions of dollars Microsoft spent on the security of the box, going as far as producing all the silicon themselves so as to implement the protection scheme and encryption keys throughout the entire hardware system. But, the Xbox 360 designers made a fatal flaw, in that of the firmware of the DVD-ROMs used (by both Toshiba-Samsung & Hitachi-LG) was *not* digitally signed (like the rest of the system software, which is encrypted with a 1024-bit sipher strength) and even contained the debug data, so as anybody with enough assembler code knowledge can relitively easily modify the firmware so that it tells the optical drive that the DVDR in the 360 is an original DVDXbox360 or DVDXbox, and not identified as a copy.

To do so, basically, one must disassemble the unit, and read the flash EEPROM by hardware means (no software homebrew flasher methods are working as yet, at least publically known methods), modify the firmware, then re-solder back into the drive the EEPROM containing the modified flags. Once completed successfully, the Xbox 360 has no problems booting DVDR game backups (of the same region only, the RCP is not hacked) as is shown in a video released by the team who claimed they did it. They are to this day, able to even utilize the Xbox Live service, until Microsoft finds the loop-hole and updates the system with a patch - even then, the hackers believe they can still boot the standard recordable backups, with minimal effort.
However, they have not released the modified firmware publically, in fear of following lawsuits from Microsoft, and also do not wish to support piracy.

Proof Video (98MB)

Quite remarkable, IMO! [;)] [:)] [:D]

emperor -> RE: Xbox 360 DVDR Backups Possible (3/27/2006 3:56:13 AM)

lets see if that "hack" will stand as time passes by

Joe_Wittman -> RE: Xbox 360 DVDR Backups Possible (7/16/2006 11:49:38 PM)

Does anyone know if there is a way to modify a foreign 360 to play US games?

WinThusiast -> RE: Xbox 360 DVDR Backups Possible (7/17/2006 11:43:13 AM)

I do not know myself, but I expect more hacks for the Xbox. $MS$ needs them in order to compete against Sony[;)]

alexmacris -> RE: Xbox 360 DVDR Backups Possible (7/22/2006 6:03:53 AM)

Hi friends! Interesting thread, any news update about Xbox360? I was thinking of buying one, but PS3 seems a good buy around Xmas

simple -> RE: Xbox 360 DVDR Backups Possible (3/18/2007 12:05:38 PM)

anyone need any halp regarding the xbox360,,,, ?[8|]

michaelrunefeld1514 -> RE: Xbox 360 DVDR Backups Possible (10/25/2009 8:33:22 PM)

It is quite difficult to understand clearly how to download xbox 360 games  but I really want to download xbox 360 games 

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI
1.953125E-02