Advice Needed (Full Version)

All Forums >> [PC hardware] >> Motherboards/CPU

Dsypher -> Advice Needed (2/22/2006 5:22:28 AM)

Im planning to buy a new motherboard [;)] So I need some advice as to which motherboard will be best for gaming and programming. Does this site have any Motherboard Roundup article??

Thanx

Antonio -> RE: Advice Needed (2/22/2006 10:54:02 AM)

Roundup I think not, but there are several boards tested.
Do you prefer AMD or Intel?

Dsypher -> RE: Advice Needed (2/22/2006 12:40:29 PM)

Well I prefer Intel motherboards...

Antonio -> RE: Advice Needed (2/22/2006 1:15:11 PM)

So I suppose socket 775.
If you want an affortable solution but also good look for the ASUS P5LD2 based on the 945P chipset.
Don't forget the price depends on what the board offers from companents. For example if you want wireless LAN then you have to spend more and get the Deluxe version.

Personaly I like the ASUS P5WD2 Deluxe 955X based or the ASUS P5WD2-E Premium with the most recent Intel chipset the 975X.

There is also a solution with NForce4 chipset the P5ND2-SLI or P5N32-SLI.

Actually I like/trust  too much ASUS.[:)]

MP3Mogul -> RE: Advice Needed (2/22/2006 2:22:34 PM)

I personally prefer Asus motherboards, for Intel I go 478 socket (more bang less buck).  You can usually find say the P4P800-VM or P4P800-SX pretty cheap.  They have "all" intel chipsets (965 chipset) and work wonderfully. 

Antonio made some great suggestions (I'm just giving you a cheap one) that works well.... I guess it depends on the money you are willing to spend.

SithTracy -> RE: Advice Needed (2/22/2006 3:22:49 PM)

Another Asus vote from me as well... I prefer AMD, but there is nothing wrong with Intel and they make a decent chipset for themselves... if you go AMD, nVidia nForce chipset is the way to go.  I hear mixed results on the ATI Crossfire chipset...

Dsypher -> RE: Advice Needed (2/22/2006 9:54:19 PM)

Thanx every1...

But Im still open to suggestions.

At present the score is -
Asus/Intel - 4
Asus/AMD - 1 [:D]

Dsypher -> RE: Advice Needed (2/22/2006 9:55:53 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: SithTracy

Another Asus vote from me as well... I prefer AMD, but there is nothing wrong with Intel and they make a decent chipset for themselves... if you go AMD, nVidia nForce chipset is the way to go.  I hear mixed results on the ATI Crossfire chipset...

Wats nVidia nForce? I mean I've heard about but dont know da details. Is it a built-in AGP or sumthin??

Antonio -> RE: Advice Needed (2/23/2006 2:06:57 AM)

Hey you told me you want an Intel based system, that's why I recomment you the above. Personaly I have an AMD system. If it is this was get the ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe.[:)]

Dsypher -> RE: Advice Needed (2/23/2006 9:34:42 AM)

My AGP is a GeForce FX 5200. So, which 1 of these ASUS motherboards supports my AGP-
ASUS P5LD2 SE , ASUS P5ND2-SLI , ASUS P4P800-VM.

Does the P5ND2-SL have support for 120 Gig SATA HDD?? I read the details of this model in the ASUS home page and I couldnt find anything that said it supported SATA.

Antonio -> RE: Advice Needed (2/23/2006 9:48:23 AM)

All supports SATA but not AGP, I didn't know you want AGP until now.[8|]

Maybe you should look for not such a recent board, all new ones have PCIe.

MP3Mogul -> RE: Advice Needed (2/23/2006 4:06:08 PM)

The P4P800-SX and P4P800-VM both have AGP ports at 8x...

Dsypher -> RE: Advice Needed (2/23/2006 9:46:39 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Antonio

All supports SATA but not AGP, I didn't know you want AGP until now.[8|]

Maybe you should look for not such a recent board, all new ones have PCIe.

Whats a PCIe ?? Will it be enough for games that have high graphics like Doom 3 ?? 

Antonio -> RE: Advice Needed (2/24/2006 1:46:35 AM)

PCI-Express is the new vga interface which is going to replace the AGP. Most new motherboards comes with this one, not the AGP.[:)]

Esskie -> RE: Advice Needed (2/24/2006 4:59:24 AM)

Hi There,
PCI-Express is the new graphics card slot/interface & runs at x16 speed opposed to AGP's x8 maximum. Having also used AMD cpu's for ages now I can't see me going to Intel but you never know?, I've no immediate plans to go the Intel route though.

I currently own two AMD processor motherboards, one is a fairly inexpensive board made by WinFast/LeadTek, who have become one. I think WinFast & LeadTek worked together on various projects previously until WinFast bought over LeadTek?.
This motherboard is a 6100-K8MA with PCI-E, it has an nForce 410 MCP chipset so works well with NVidia graphics cards, I've got a 256MbDDR2 6600 card in there atm but there's an NVIDIA GeForce 6100 onboard GPU if you need it. I won't go into detail as you can check for yourself by following the link to it's sec page.

Another Sckt-754 board which supports x8 AGP is the Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro, it supports AMD cpu's from Sempron 2600+ (Paris and Palermo) through to the Athlon 64 3700+ (Venice, SledgeHammer, Newcastle).

Both motherboards have onboard 7.1 or 8.1 sound, DDR400, FireWire, onboard LAN etc,.

It might be worth considering the PCI-Express graphics interface though as the word on the vine is that AGP is being phased out gradually, I can't comment on this myself? but Im presuming AGP will be around for a while yet as there are still new AGP cards being shipped?.

All I know is that Doom 3 looks amazing running at 1024 x 768 and above with 32-bit colour with my PCI-E card compared to my 128Mb GeForce4-4400 (x8 AGP) & I'm achieving consistent frame rates in the multiple hundreds range with Quake 3.

Sorry for my long reply but I've a habit of prattling on [sm=8.gif] [;)].

Regards, Esskie.

MP3Mogul -> RE: Advice Needed (2/24/2006 5:44:18 AM)

This is why I personally choose the P4P800-VM, it has an 8x AGP and it has a PCI slot as well, giving you full choice.

Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI