inCD won't let Nero access drive (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Optical Storage Software] >> CD/DVD Authoring >> Packet Writing

linda -> inCD won't let Nero access drive (2/14/2004 9:20:17 PM)

I have formatted two CD-RW with in CD 3.39.0.When I go to Nero Express to write to the CD, I get a message that says that inCD is accessing the drive and I must eject the disk. I eject the disk. I put it back in. I click on Nero. I get the same message. If I put in a CD-RW that has not been formatted, I do not get this message. I have written to Nero. They have not been one bit of help. The told me to run INCD clean-tool. I did. I updated Nero 5.5.9.9. This has not changed any of the problems. MY CDRW is LG GCE-8520B and I am using Windows 2000 Pro.

Can anyone help?
Thanks.

Deleted User -> [Deleted] (2/15/2004 12:00:05 AM)

[Deleted by Admins]

dburg -> RE: inCD won't let Nero access drive (2/17/2004 10:07:50 PM)

Actually, Linda has contacted me directly by e-mail (please let me know if you contact me by e-mail that you have also reported your problem in the forum ;-) ).

As I think the discussion will be of help to other new users of InCD (3 and 4), I will provide here the core of the discussion:

quote:
Linda by e-mail: I have formatted two CD-RW with in CD 3.39.0.When I go to Nero Express to write to the CD, I get a message that says that inCD is accessing the drive and I must eject the disk. I eject the disk. I put it back in. I click on Nero. I get the same message. If I put in a CD-RW that has not been formatted, I do not get this message. I have written to Nero. They have not been one bit of help. The told me to run INCD clean-tool. I did. I updated Nero 5.5.9.9. This has not changed any of the problems. The drive I use is an LG GCE-8520B.

quote:
myself, by e-mail too: When you get the message from Nero that InCD is accessing the drive, eject the disk, *run Nero again*, and once Nero is running, re-insert the disc.
Notice that with Nero 6 and InCD 4 together, this problem does not occurs at all (you can run Nero with InCD-formatted media inserted).

quote:
Linda: No, it does not work. I waited to insert the disk. Nero boots up, as it did before. then I insert the disk. I add files. I click to determine write speed. Then I get a message that I have gotten before when attempting to writ to this disks formatted by inCD: "The rewritable medium you have inserted is not empty. Nero can erase the medium for you at this point...."

quote:
Myself: This is normal. Nero warns you because there are already something on the media. Thus, to avoid that you destroy by accident your data, it displays the message "The rewritable medium you have inserted is not empty. Nero can erase the medium for you at this point....". You have then the choice of either continue by erasing, or cancel the writing of your Nero compilation.
What exactly do you intend to do? Do you want to add files to the disc, or to re-use the disc from scratch, writing an entire new set of files to the disc?

quote:
Linda: I want to write files to the disk. But if it erases everything, then will the inCD formattting be operative? And what about when I already do have files on the disk, and then want to add more files?

quote:
myself: Ok, I think I understand the problem. ;-)

I think you want to use a disc formatted by InCD to store files just like on a floppy disc. To do this, you should not use Nero, but instead use the Windows Explorer. Indeed, once the disc is formatted by InCD, you can drag and drop files to it in the explorer, or even save them directly to the disc when you are in an application such as word, excel, etc. You can also use the Windows Explorer to select some files on the disc and delete them just like you would do on a floppy disc or on your hard disk.

As technical background, the InCD formatted disc is done using packet-writing, that is each portion of the disc is accessible to read and write by the software without need of sequential access (it is called random access). This is different from Nero which allows to record discs in session-at-once, disc-at-once or track-at-once modes. For Nero and these modes, the data is always recorded sequentially, you cannot go back and change something at the beginning of the disc. So, InCD and Nero are using the disc two different ways. The two way are not compatible, that is, you cannot write with track-at-once on a packet-writing formatted disc nor can write with packet-writing on a track-at-once disc (this is not a limitation from Ahead products but from the standards). Thus, you have to choose whether you want to use it with InCD or with Nero.

Later you can change your mind and re-use a disc of InCD with Nero or a disc of Nero with InCD, but for that you will first need to erase it (with Nero). This is what Nero offers you when you insert an InCD-formatted disc and try to burn a Nero compilation on it.

quote:
Linda: You are great! Thanks so much.

Of course I have as well contact our techsupport team to ensure that the information is forwarded to each techsupport guy for a better support.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI