Entire Forum Subscriptions Removed (Full Version)

All Forums >> [In-House] >> Site News

sp_admin -> Entire Forum Subscriptions Removed (8/5/2005 12:23:15 PM)

I have removed all existing subscriptions concerning entire forums, because we had major problems due to non-existing e-mails that bounced and caused a major SMTP pollution.

Normal subscriptions to existing threads should not be affected.

Future subscriptions will be henceforth allowed only on a per thread basis.

Please let us know about any problems.

Best regards,  SP

RedSquirrel -> RE: Entire Forum Subscriptions Removed (8/8/2005 4:35:05 AM)

It's a shame you have had to take this action - it will make following the topics I am interested in much more difficult and will probably mean that I stop reading these forums, which is a real pity.

Iggy -> RE: Entire Forum Subscriptions Removed (8/8/2005 8:47:30 AM)

Subscriptions for all forum? OK this is normal. Everyone will subscribe only to the topics he is interesting in, not all together.

RedSquirrel I cannot understand why you acting this way...you'll still be able to subscribe to any topic you like one by one, not all the forum's topics together.

RedSquirrel -> RE: Entire Forum Subscriptions Removed (8/9/2005 7:24:01 AM)

It's quite easy really.  I used the Search facility "Posts since last visit" with "Search Subscribed Forums Only" and I could immediately see everything that was new in all areas I was interested in.  I could then decide what I wished to read further into.   The best I can get now is "Posts since last visit" which is many pages more of new posts, many of which I am not interested in.

If the problem was with invalid email addresses then sort that problem.  Perhaps it would be better to just remove the email facility from forum subscribes rather than removing the entire ability to subscribe to forums.   Having said that I never got any emails for all my subscribed forums anyway.

sp -> RE: Entire Forum Subscriptions Removed (8/9/2005 12:16:54 PM)

Hello RS

We do appreciate your contributions to our forums and we are glad for your valuable commends.

quote:

...I used the Search facility "Posts since last visit" with "Search Subscribed Forums Only" and I could immediately see everything that was new in all areas I was interested in....

Indeed this is a problem.
I did not know about this implication before taking the action of removing the ability for a user to subscribe to entire forums.

This was necessary, as I had to manually delete over 8,000 messages a few days ago due to SMTP abuse.

quote:

...Having said that I never got any emails for all my subscribed forums anyway....

I regret, but this means that your e-mail address used for subscribing to this forum is no longer valid. Then, a few hundred of the aforementioned deleted messages were probably yours:))

Anyway, why aren't you using RSS instead?
I am willing to help you find your way out of this problem (and stay into these forums:))

RedSquirrel -> RE: Entire Forum Subscriptions Removed (8/10/2005 5:56:25 AM)

quote:

I regret, but this means that your e-mail address used for subscribing to this forum is no longer valid. Then, a few hundred of the aforementioned deleted messages were probably yours:))

Anyway, why aren't you using RSS instead?
I am willing to help you find your way out of this problem (and stay into these forums:))

I just checked my profile and my email address is still valid, so at least I wasn't part of the email problem [:)] I had the "email me on new topics" selected and I now realise I was getting the emails after all.

RSS would be an ideal solution - I have converted most of my other "daily reading" to RSS.   I have searched back through the forums and now have RSS configured.

Thanks for the pointer

sp -> RE: Entire Forum Subscriptions Removed (8/10/2005 6:44:26 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: RedSquirrel

I just checked my profile and my email address is still valid, so at least I wasn't part of the email problem [:)] I had the "email me on new topics" selected and I now realise I was getting the emails after all....

Please check any e-mail/spam filter for addresses from the domain cdrinfo.com. It might be the case that although your e-mail is valid, some so-called spam-blocker did prevent you from actually getting the e-mail notifications in the past...

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI