Plextor sues PXlinux & PXscan developers! (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> CD, DVD, BD Drives

cvs -> Plextor sues PXlinux & PXscan developers! (5/28/2005 9:13:25 AM)

I just want to draw your attention to the following thread:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=138061

Plextor decided to show us again how much they really care about their customers, and decided to sue Zeb, the developer of PxLinux, which is the only way of performing quality scans under the Linux platform, since Plextools Pro works exclusively under Windows, and Plextor does not care to support this feature under Linux.

PxLinux is the Linux port of  PXScan, another free software written by Alexander Noe, which this time works on Windows and offers quite a few features and improvements over Plextools Pro and even over the commercial rip-off named Plextools XL.

According to Zeb, It seems that Alexander is also a Plextor target, being threatened with a lawsuit as well.

This comes after Plextor already stopped Erik Deppe, the developer of Nero CD-DVD Speed to release his latest version of CD-DVD Speed which was capable of doing quality scans on Plextor drives.

I think this is worthy of a news headline on CDRinfo, and I also think we should show our support and appreciation to the developers and transmit a strong negative message to Plextor [:@] Their greed and contempt towards their customers seems to have no limits, and I see no reason to put up with it anymore! [:@] 

Dolphinius_Rex -> RE: Plextor sues PXlinux & PXscan developers! (5/28/2005 2:53:45 PM)

I've made this thread sticky so that more people will be able to see it. I think this is a very serious issue that needs to be addressed quickly by the Plextor users of this and other forums. I highly encourage people to write to both plextor.com and plextools.com and voice their opinions on this issue.

Deleted User -> [Deleted] (5/28/2005 5:34:41 PM)

[Deleted by Admins]

SithTracy -> RE: Plextor sues PXlinux & PXscan developers! (5/28/2005 9:30:12 PM)

Right, if you want to do something to get them to stop putting there free product that is better than Plextools XL, offer them jobs and pay them lots of money.

emperor -> RE: Plextor sues PXlinux & PXscan developers! (5/29/2005 7:14:16 AM)

From my point of view, Plextor was always very "sensitive" to the features that offered by Plextools, meaning didn't wanted other software than Plextools, to support the Q-Check features. Plextor always promoted Plextools as something unique for its buyers, and the truth is that was unique...However as we also have stated in various reviews, we felt that Plextool's Q-Check features should have been improved, especially at the Plextools XL, something that both PX Scan and PX Linux offered for free.

I don't think that Plextor can have a case here, since no hacking was performed at the Plextools software, of course the commands to retrieve PI/PO are "confidential". How Alex got his software working? By bustracing and experimenting with the ASPI layer.

- Why Plextor doesn't want users to have alternative solutions for Plextools? Probably since Plextools is the only product that may bring more money (Plextools XL) in da house.
- Why Plextor users want more software for Q-Checking discs? Cause Plextools doesn't offer some very important features, as should be included at the first place.

I strongly believe that lawsuits is not the proper way for a company like Plextor to respond towards PXLinux and PXScan, but rather contact their authors and try to work things out. Plextor always had the reputation of being user friendly and close to users, such behaviour will boomerang back, in terms of sales...[8|]

ItalianJob -> RE: Plextor sues PXlinux & PXscan developers! (5/29/2005 6:22:54 PM)

Well said, emperor.

cvs -> RE: Plextor sues PXlinux & PXscan developers! (5/31/2005 9:48:07 AM)

The story is now in the news at CD Freaks:

http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/11886

Let's hope others will follow suit [;)]

ItalianJob -> RE: Plextor sues PXlinux & PXscan developers! (5/31/2005 3:32:13 PM)

@CRDLabs too :

http://www.cdrlabs.com/#3

cvs -> RE: Plextor sues PXlinux & PXscan developers! (6/1/2005 7:46:58 PM)

Any chance of seeing this story on the CDRInfo news too ?

sp -> RE: Plextor sues PXlinux & PXscan developers! (6/2/2005 5:58:51 AM)

In a case of vague arguments, it is interesting to know if there is a law threatening a threatener...

emperor -> RE: Plextor sues PXlinux & PXscan developers! (6/5/2005 7:21:41 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: cvs

Yes, we are waiting for Plextor's answer before posting any news... [8|]

Dolphinius_Rex -> RE: Plextor sues PXlinux & PXscan developers! (6/6/2005 1:07:41 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: emperor

quote:

ORIGINAL: cvs

Yes, we are waiting for Plextor's answer before posting any news... [8|]

You might wait a LONG time for that.... Plextor has been oddly quiet during all this commotion.

emperor -> RE: Plextor sues PXlinux & PXscan developers! (6/16/2005 8:38:24 AM)

Yes no answer till now [&:][:(]

alexnoe -> RE: Plextor sues PXlinux & PXscan developers! (6/22/2005 11:36:43 AM)

Does anyone actually know anyone who got a serious response? Heise.de didn't...

Maybe you should send them a link to your article on plextools professional xl :)

Dolphinius_Rex -> RE: Plextor sues PXlinux & PXscan developers! (6/22/2005 6:23:43 PM)

I haven't heard anything from Plextor, and I don't know of anyone who has either.

emperor -> RE: Plextor sues PXlinux & PXscan developers! (7/7/2005 4:48:13 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: alexnoe
Maybe you should send them a link to your article on plextools professional xl :)

I am sure they have read it [;)]

A rather good post about the whole case over here

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI