INCD and XP, freezing :( (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Optical Storage Software] >> CD/DVD Authoring >> Packet Writing

rossco_2003 -> INCD and XP, freezing :( (5/26/2003 3:16:43 AM)

Hey,

i was using windows 98 for a while with INCD using my cdrw discs like a normal hard drive.till i installed windows XP (clean install). Now whenever i am browsing a cd or writing (sometimes) but especially when i am reading a file, my explorer.exe will stop responding and then the computer must be restarted to work.

I have posted on www.annoyances.org 's forum but didnt get much helpful info, only that INCD is not well compatible with some XP machines :(.

Ive got XP PRO SP1
I have latest INCD version available from their website.
My burner is a 20x10x40x retail plus and i catn find any firmware updates for it, nor do i know which version i currently have. In device manager it says rw-201040 as my model number.
Im using Verbatim CDRW discs, 3 of them.
Any ideas?

KCK -> RE: INCD and XP, freezing :( (5/26/2003 7:52:49 AM)

Apparently RW-201040 is used as the identification string for some "brandless" drives, as well as by Fedelia and Artec. Googling for "RW-201040" produces a lot of links; try it, maybe something will ring a bell.

Nero InfoTool should list the firmware version on its first screen.

Which version of InCD were you using under Win98? Have your CD-RW discs been formatted with this old version? In general, since sometimes newer versions can't use discs formatted with older versions, you should copy such discs to your HDD, do a full-erase in Nero | Recorder | EraseReWritable, and format them again with the new version. Also if you have been using your discs for a long time, full-erasure and format could help to revive them.

Are you sure that your XP install is really clean? For instance, many users install Windows Media Player (WMP), whose burning plugin may interfere with InCD, or Norton CleanSweep, which causes problems with InCD installations.

Take a look at the InCD troubleshooting guide

http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=9572

and come back with more information.

rossco_2003 -> RE: INCD and XP, freezing :( (5/26/2003 10:34:56 PM)

my xp installation I know is a clean copy. I have reinstaleld my operating system many times before so i know a lot about doing that. I have also tried reinstalling my XP to try and fix this problem.

In win98 I used a few different versions, im not sure which right now because i no longer have them.

My cds were formatted with older versions but then i have tried reformatting them with newer versions also and same problem. I have tried an incd version from my nero cd that came with my burner which causes the same problem.[:(]

I read in another thread on this site that musicmatch caused some problem (something like that) so i uninstaleld it then installed incd and same problem. The only other burning software i have installed would be i suppose windows media player 9.0, nero burning rom(downloading the latest version but i have 5.5.10.15 currently), and the built in XP stuff. I will try disabling that.

My aspi leyer version is:

system: not installed
nero: 2.0.1.59

Is this right? should i have something newer or something installed for system?

firmware is 1.00

I will try to do the full erase thing on one of my CDs and post back if it works after.

i have also read that incd troubleshootuing guide but didnt find anything helpful [:(]

rossco_2003 -> RE: INCD and XP, freezing :( (5/27/2003 1:22:04 AM)

I tried all those things but it still doesnt work, I have tried using all of my cds. I am gonna borrow some HP brand RWs from a friend and if they work then i will have to buy some new cds.

KCK -> RE: INCD and XP, freezing :( (5/27/2003 4:12:18 AM)

First, here is some additional info not contained in the InCD guide.

To disable Windows CD recording on your burner, right-click its drive in My Computer, select Properties | Recording, clear the check mark for "Enable CD recording on this drive" (it is not marked on my box), and click OK.

I have never touched the IMAPI CD Burning COM service, since apparently InCD handles this aspect automatically (it is Manual on my box).

Anyway, to disable the IMAPI service, go to Control Panel | Administrative Tools | Services, double-click "IMAPI CD Burning", set "Startup type: Disabled", and click Stop below "Service status".

As for your latest message, does Nero InfoTool identify your burner as RW-201040, or does it also include a name like Fedelia or Artec?

Your ASPI looks OK (you could have seen this from S12 in the InCD guide).

I wouldn't say that your XP installation is clean, since you have additionally installed WMP 9.0 (mentioned in S11.4), and we don't know if MusicMatch was uninstalled cleanly (again, it is mentioned in S11.7, so you didn't need to look at other threads). In such cases it's really crucial to see the Driver Information reported by Nero InfoTool.

Hence you should provide the information specified in S18 of the InCD guide by answering querries Q1 through Q12 carefully. If you skip something, we may loose time because further exchanges could be needed in the long run.

rossco_2003 -> RE: INCD and XP, freezing :( (5/27/2003 4:41:36 AM)

what i meant acutally by clean installation is that I didnt use an old o[erating system to upgrade to XP which have heard cause many many problems for a lot of people.

In the nero infotool i cant find anywhere where it says what my drive name is or ocmpany. But i found type: CDRW recorder (im pr4etty sure this is not what you want)
and: secondary ide channel:
master:RW-201040
DMA on
Autorun on

But if you want the company it is Retail plus+ (this is all i know about the drive).

I have already turned off the XP recording program and still problems. The IMAPI service was not already running so i suppose that couldnt have been interfering but i will try again to make sure and post back with any good news. fingers crossed.

Musicmatch i think WAS uninstalled cleanly becuase the wxlw2k driver was taken off after i uninstalled. Also i have tried to use INCD after a really fresh install (nothing on my computer installed yet but drivers for my video and INCD) of windows XP.

lastly, i will do the s18 Q1-12 queries tommorrow when im not so tired so that i dont screw something up.

Thanks for the help youve given me so far,

KCK -> RE: INCD and XP, freezing :( (5/27/2003 5:15:42 AM)

Yes, the meaning of "clean XP installation" varies between users![:D] And of course you were right in not installing XP as an upgrade on top of 98SE.

Concerning the identification of your burner via Nero InfoTool, I was wondering whether the top drop-down list of available drives displays something like "[1:0] E:\ RW-201040 1.00" or, e.g., "[1:0] E:\ Fedelia RW-201040 1.00"; I guess it's the first one. Is the company's name "Retail Plus+"? Does it have a web site? I couldn't find anything with Google, but such names pose problems. Can't you contact them directly to find out the make of your drive? This may not be important for InCD (since you said everything was OK under Win98), but without knowing the manufacturer you won't be able to upgrade the firmware in the long run.

Finally, it's better not to hurry too much, since troubleshooting requires careful attention.[8D]

rossco_2003 -> RE: INCD and XP, freezing :( (5/27/2003 10:39:24 PM)

ya, in neroinfo tool it says the first one you listed ("[1:0] E:\ RW-201040 1.00)

I have found the site for Retail plus+ (www.retailplus.com) but all the site was nothing but advertising their products. No drivers or firmware for any product, some pictures, some drive or other hardware specs. No FAQ but they do have a support line which I got busy signals everytime i tried to call, then i gave up.

If I was to look inside my computer at the cdrw drive where would i find anything about the real company that made my burner ?

KCK -> RE: INCD and XP, freezing :( (5/27/2003 11:10:51 PM)

Looking at your drive, take down all details. For instance, sometimes FCC numbers can be used to locate the manufacturer.

Otherwise, you could make a separate post in general hardware forums here and at www.cdfreaks.com and www.cdrlabs.com , with a title like "Retail Plus+ Writer RW-201040?", asking for help in identifying the manufacturer of your drive, and available firmwares. You could also include the link to the 241040 version

http://www.retailplus.com/24x10x40_ide_high_speed_cdrw_dri.htm

if the box looks similar to yours.

rossco_2003 -> RE: INCD and XP, freezing :( (5/28/2003 12:24:04 AM)

OK, i am going to open up my computer to find FCC numbers or something on the cdrw drive soon. I have posted a link for finding the maufacturer here:
ttp://www.cdrinfo.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10279

But for now you can read this:

THE S18 Q1-12 QUEARIES:

Q1. The model and firmware version of your burner, and how it is connected (internal IDE channel, USB (1.1 or 2.0) or FireWire (IEEE 1394), external interface (PCI or PC Card) if any). If you also have a CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive, specify its model.
connection: internal IDE
firmware: 1.00
model: rw 201040

Q2. Hardware info for your box: motherboard and chipset for desktops, manufacturer and model for laptops.

Motherboard: ECS elitegroup K7VMM+
Chipset: VIA vt8235???

Q3. Version of Windows service packs installed, if any.
Windows version: 5.1.2600 service pack 1 build 2600
service packs: Windows XP SP1, Internet Exploerer 6.0 SP1

Q4. Versions of Nero/InCD and other burning programs or plugins, and whether Nero works correctly with your CD-RW media (otherwise there is little point in dealing with InCD before other problems are fixed).

Version of INCD: 3.5.24.0
Version of Nero: 5.5.10.28
Others: Musicmatch 8.0, Windows Media player 9.0, Built in XP burning plugin (disabled)

Q5. Brands and quantity of CD-RW discs used; if re-used, were they fully erased before reformatting?

Brand: Verbatim 533mb
quantity: 3
fully erased?: yes

Q6. Format version (UDF 1.50 or CD-MRW) and whether it proceeded as in Step S8.
Format version: UDF 1.50
Q7. What does Nero InfoTool | Configuration say about Autorun for your burner? Are the symptoms for your problem the same for Autorun set to on and to off?
Autorun on/off: ON (how do you turn it off in XP?)
Q8. What does Nero InfoTool say about ASPI (both System and Nero)?
System ASPI: Not installed
Nero ASPI: 2.0.1.59
Q9. If other burning programs or plugins had been removed, was InCD reinstalled after the registry had been cleaned either manually or via programs such as RegCleaner?
reinstalled: Yes
Q10. The results of the dir commands described in S11.1.

dir C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\cd*.*
08/29/2002 04:27 AM 47,488 cdrom.sys
08/23/2001 10:00 AM 18,688 cdaudio.sys
08/29/2002 04:58 AM 59,648 cdfs.sys
dir C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ud*.*
08/29/2002 04:06 AM 64,000 udfs.sys
dir C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\cd*.*
08/23/2001 10:00 AM 142,336 cdfview.dll
08/23/2001 10:00 AM 2,028,032 cdosys.dll
08/29/2002 06:40 AM 14,848 cdm.dll
08/23/2001 06:00 AM 15,872 cdmodem.dll
dir C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ud*.*
08/29/2002 06:41 AM 22,016 udhisapi.dll

Q11. A suitable extract from Nero InfoTool report (click the diskette button to save it to a file). To save space, you may give only the Driver Information section, skipping all Microsoft drivers and those nonrelated to CD burning (e.g., modem, scanner, etc.; if unsure about a driver, don't omit it).

Interface Information
---------------------
Adapter 1
---------
Description : Unknown Adapter

Driver
Description : System32\DRIVERS\imagedrv.sys
Company : Ahead Software AG and its licensors
Version : 2.23.0.0
Description : NERO IMAGEDRIVE SCSI miniport

Attached Devices

Adapter 2
---------
Description : Primary IDE Channel

Driver
Description : System32\DRIVERS\atapi.sys
Company : Microsoft Corporation
Version : 5.1.2600.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920)
Description : IDE/ATAPI Port Driver

Attached Devices
Description : Master: QUANTUM Bigfoot TX8.0AT
Type : Disk Drive
DMA : On

Adapter 3
---------
Description : Secondary IDE Channel

Driver
Description : System32\DRIVERS\atapi.sys

Attached Devices
Description : Master: RW-201040
Type : CD-Rom Drive
DMA : On
Autorun : On

Software Information
--------------------
Operating System : Windows XP Professional (5.01.2600 Service Pack 1)
ASPI : Win32 Nero Aspi Library 2.0.1.59 Ahead Software AG

Description : Nero - Burning Rom
Version : 5, 5, 10, 28
Company : Ahead Software AG

Driver Information
------------------
Driver : atapi

Driver : BsStor
Description : B.H.A Storage Helper Driver (WindowsNT5.x)
Version : 1.0.7
Company : B.H.A Co.,Ltd.

Driver : BsUDF
Description : UDF File System Driver (WindowsXP)
Version : 3.5.24.0
Company : ahead software

Driver : Cdfs
Description : CD-ROM File System Driver

Driver : Cdrom
Description : SCSI CD-ROM Driver

Driver : Disk
Description : PnP Disk Driver

Driver : dmio
Description : NT Disk Manager I/O Driver
Version : 2600.0.503.0
Company : Microsoft Corp., Veritas Software

Driver : dmload
Description : NT Disk Manager Startup Driver
Version : 2600.0.503.0
Company : Microsoft Corp., Veritas Software.

Driver : Fastfat
Description : Fast FAT File System Driver

Driver : Ftdisk
Description : FT Disk Driver
Version : 5.1.2600.0 (XPClient.010817-1148)

Driver : Imagedrv
Description : NERO IMAGEDRIVE SCSI miniport
Version : 2.23.0.0
Company : Ahead Software AG and its licensors

Driver : MxlW2k
Description : MusicMatch Access Layer KMD
Version : 1.1.0.114
Company : MusicMatch, Inc.

Driver : NdisTapi
Description : NDIS 3.0 connection wrapper driver
Version : 5.1.2600.0 (xpclient.010817-1148)

Driver : Npfs
Description : NPFS Driver

Driver : Rdbss
Description : Redirected Drive Buffering SubSystem Driver

Driver : Tmpreflt
Description : Pre-Filter For XP
Version : 1.6510.0.1003
Company : Trend Micro Inc.

Driver : Udfs
Description : UDF File System Driver

Driver : Update
Description : Update Driver

Driver : ViaIde
Description : Generic PCI IDE Bus Driver
Version : 1.00.01.00

Driver : VolSnap
Description : Volume Shadow Copy Driver

Driver : Wanarp
Description : MS Remote Access and Routing ARP Driver

Driver : msvcrt.dll
Version : 7.0.2600.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920)

Driver : MSVCIRT.DLL
Version : 7.0.2600.0 (xpclient.010817-1148)

Driver : MFC42.DLL
Version : 6.00.8665.0

Driver : msvcp60.dll
Version : 6.00.8972.0

Driver : ole32.dll

Driver : OLEPRO32.DLL
Version : 5.0.5014

Driver : oledlg.dll
Version : 1.0 (XPClient.010817-1148)

Driver : advapi32.dll

Driver : comctl32.dll
Version : 5.82 (xpsp1.020828-1920)

Driver : setupapi.dll

ASPI Information
----------------
System ASPI
Nero ASPI
WNASPI32.DLL : 2.0.1.59 160016 bytes January 29, 2003

Q12. Once Nero is run, the file NeroHistory.log in C:\Program Files\Ahead\Nero lists useful system information. Since this file can be rather long, you may concentrate on its last session. Thus you may extract the initial information section (which ends with "Wizard: Off or On") and the final "Existing drivers" section from the Nero log file and post it.

cannot find nerohistory.log

KCK -> RE: INCD and XP, freezing :( (5/28/2003 4:09:42 AM)

The FCC numbers should also be listed on the packaging box and maybe in the manual for your drive.

Here are some comments on your answers:

Q2: You may check if you have the latest BIOS at the ECS site:

http://www.ecs.com.tw/download/k7vmmp3x.htm

Q4: You forgot to answer this querry: "whether Nero works correctly with your CD-RW media (otherwise there is little point in dealing with InCD before other problems are fixed)."

Q7: Turning Autorun on/off is described in S10.

Q9: Did you really clean the registry? Manually or via RegCleaner?

Q10: Looks OK; in particular, it seems WMP 9.0 doesn't install the Adaptec burning plugin under XP (unless you removed it).

Q11: I've never tested Nero ImageDrive (apparently nowadays it comes with retail versions only), so I don't know whether it could interfere with InCD. Perhaps you could uninstall it temporarily for testing.

I thought you had uninstalled MusicMatch. Please remove it for testing, and check UpperFilters/LowerFilters as described at the end of S11.5.

I guess Tmpreflt comes from Trend Micro's antivirus scanner. It may help to disable all antivirus software for testing, since sometimes it interferes both with formatting and reading/writing of InCD discs.

Apparently MS's ViaIde driver is safer, but if all else fails you could consider trying the latest Via 4in1 driver.

Q12: If you burn (or just simulate burning) a CD in Nero, it should create NeroHistory.log in the Nero folder.

Taking the preceding remarks into account, you could now repeat your InCD experiments. Please report all the symptoms (e.g., whether formatting, mounting, reading or writing errors occur), and which changes you made with respect to the current configuration (i.e., whether Nero ImageDrive and MusicMatch were removed, the antivirus scanner was deactivated, etc.), so that we know what's going on.

rossco_2003 -> RE: INCD and XP, freezing :( (5/28/2003 4:24:18 AM)

GOOD NEWS, i found here after searching google: http://www.pc4d.com/hardware/55/retail_plus_24x10x40_cdrw_drive.shtml
saying that the rtail plus 24x10x40 cdrw drive is a Pine Technologies drive. This rings a bell because my drive came with 1 pine cd-r. I MANY HAVE FOUND THE MANUFACTURER! just need to find their main site now.[:D]
But anyway, the antivirus scanner is already disabled because my computer is sluggish while it is running.

I already have the latest 4in1 VIA drivers.

I reinstalled musicmatch because i really hate the sound quality of WMP...but i will uninstall it for testing if it will help. Nero image drive i just installed to try out AFTER my latest test with INCD but have uninstalled already.

I use regcleaner to erase any old registry stuff and did use it before installing INCD.

I dont have the latest BIOS but i have to say: I upgraded my motherboard about 2 months ago and had this problem with windows XP before with my old motherboard. When my old one was in i could not use incd in XP, same problem as now with the new one. Also my new one works in windows ME (i tested a week ago)).

As long as a dont have INCD installed I can read any type of CD through windows explorer. Right now with or without INCD installed Nero WILL owrk for burning any type of cdr or cdrw, adn i can read them through widnows exploerer (a long as i dont have incd)

in WMP 9 when i tried out the burning plugin one time it said something like initializing Nero Fast Burning Plugin so i suppose it doesnt have the adaptec burning plugin in XP.

So what im doing this time around:
1. disable autorun
2. uninstall imagedrive drivers, musicmatch, then double check.
3. burn a simulation cd to get the nerohistory.log file.
4. retest INCD! :)

rossco_2003 -> RE: INCD and XP, freezing :( (5/28/2003 4:40:34 AM)

ok here is the nerohistory.log file:
---------------------------------------------------------------
Windows XP 5.1
IA32
WinAspi: -
ahead WinASPI: File 'C:\Program Files\Ahead\Nero\Wnaspi32.dll': Ver=2.0.1.59, size=160016 bytes, created 1/29/2003 9:37:36 PM
Nero Version: 5.5.10.28
Recorder: < RW-201040> Version: 1.00 - HA 2 TA 0 - 5.5.10.28
Adapter driver: <atapi> HA 2
Drive buffer : 2048kB
Bus Type : default (0) -> ATAPI, detected: ATAPI
CD-ROM: < RW-201040> Version: 1.00 - HA 2 TA 0 - 5.5.10.28
Adapter driver: <atapi> HA 2
Bus Type : default (0) -> ATAPI, detected: ATAPI

=== Scsi-Device-Map ===
DiskPeripheral : QUANTUM Bigfoot TX8.0AT atapi Port 1 ID 0 DMA: On
CdRomPeripheral : RW-201040 atapi Port 2 ID 0 DMA: On
=======================

AutoRun : 0
Excluded drive IDs:
CmdQueuing : 1
CmdNotification: 2
WriteBufferSize: 40894464 (0) Byte
ShowDrvBufStat : 0
EraseSpeed : 0
BUFE : 0
Physical memory : 255MB (261616kB)
Free physical memory: 92MB (95188kB)
Memory in use : 63 %
Uncached PFiles: 0x0
Use Static Write Speed Table: 0
Use Inquiry : 1
Global Bus Type: default (0)
Check supported media : Enabled (1)

---------------------------------------------------------------
Existing drivers:
File 'Drivers\atapi.sys': Ver=5.1.2600.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920), size=86912 bytes, created 8/29/2002 4:27:50 AM (Adapter driver for rec)

Registry Keys:
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\WinLogon\AllocateCDROMs : 0 (Security Option)

====== *** Nero-Burning Rom, History File *** ======

KCK -> RE: INCD and XP, freezing :( (5/28/2003 6:22:57 AM)

Sorry to dampen your enthusiasm, but the link you found is for 241040, not 201040, and (although I could be wrong) Pine Technologies simply rebadges drives produced by other manufacturers.

I'm confused about your IDE drivers: your Nero InfoTool indicated a standard MS driver, but now you say you have the latest VIA 4in1 driver. So which IDE driver have you been using for InCD testing?

If you got your motherboard two months ago, most probably its BIOS is fairly recent; however, it shouldn't hurt to upgrade to the latest version.

Next, you revealed an interesting new aspect: Do you mean that while booting to WinME, InCD functions correctly? If yes, this would at least imply that neither your CD-RW media nor your burner with its current firmware would be the likely culprits. In other words, for XP we could concentrate on other issues.

Another point which I couldn't understand: With InCD installed, do you have difficulties in reading CD-R or CD-RW discs burnt with Nero, or only with InCD discs?

Your NeroHistory.log doesn't show anything unusual, except that now you have Autorun off.[:)]

rossco_2003 -> RE: INCD and XP, freezing :( (5/28/2003 10:42:14 PM)

Ok here the news, I learned from pine's (samtack here in canada)support in an email that my drive is most likely an aopen and they gave me a link to get the latest firmware [:)]. version 1.27

I learned that their is only one newer version than my current BIOS and all it fixes in something to do wth USB i think it said and it has nothing to do with my problems.

I only have troubles reading INCD discs, and only while INCD is installed.

So i am about to reinstall INCD (i have not yet imnstalled it after making the changes on my last post) then try it out and see if it freezes.

Any more ideas now that have to do with XP?

rossco_2003 -> RE: INCD and XP, freezing :( (5/29/2003 12:03:48 AM)

[:(!] the stupid support people were wrong and that wasn't my drive i guess cause the frimware wouldnt install. It gave a message like
please match destination and source file

~~~NG~~~NG~~~NG~~~NG~~~NG~~~

so now ive emailed them back and im waiting for a response to find out other possible manufacturers [:(]

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI
2.929688E-02