CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

What can cause DVD drives to stop functioning   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1388 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [PC hardware] >> General Hardware Issues >> What can cause DVD drives to stop functioning Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
What can cause DVD drives to stop functioning - 2/3/2005 5:32:15 AM   
_copycat_

I am having a problem where both of my DVD drives are unable to read. Does anyone have any idea why this happens. It is an isolated incedent but this is the second time it has happened and I don't have any clue why it happens or how it corrects itself. Does anyone have any idea what could cause this problem? Two different drives Lite-on 832S and Plextor 716SA. They just rev up then slow down. This repeats several times then nothing.. When I click on "my computer" icon and then the drive letter I get 'my computer not responding' in the task mgr. window.Also when I open a DVD player,ie Power DVDrigt away I get a "not responding" error. Is this the result of a virus or a malfunction somewhere else in my system. This is a very frustrating problem and one that has already caused me to yank one of my drives out and smash it to pieces. But now I'm not so sure it's the drives. Any ideas would sure be appreciated or if someone could point me in the direction of someone who knows computers in general. So I can know if it's a computer problem or a DVD drive problem.
I know the information I have given is vague. If you need any more information please ask and I will do my best to supply it.

< Message edited by _copycat_ -- 2/3/2005 5:36:35 AM >

I know the answer must be in here somewhere*#&%*...but where?...#%*&%#
Post #: 1
RE: What can cause DVD drives to stop functioning - 2/3/2005 10:38:08 AM   
Iggy

Did you try to set them on a different PC?This way you'll find the source of the problem.

I have seen drives to stop working due to electricity failure. This can be caused from the motherboard, the power supply or even the elecrticity organization. I don't know how do you call it in your country.

(in reply to _copycat_)
Post #: 2
RE: What can cause DVD drives to stop functioning - 2/3/2005 5:46:33 PM   
_copycat_

Thank you for the response Iggy! If my power supply is going bad could that be the cause or does a power supply either work, or not work. Another thing I noticed is when I put a backed up DVD in in a drive and open Power DVD to play the DVD none of the functions for Power DVD are working, and task mgr. shows the application as 'not responding'. Are you saying that It might be due to a shortage of power from the supply?
Sorry If I'm repeating the question, but i'm not sure if i'm explaining the situation in a way you can understand. I don't have another computer available to try the drives in. The rest of my computer seems to be working fine though. When I put my game CD in it runs fine also. I can't try the original DVD's that I made backups of cause the ex-wife has them and we're not speaking right now

(in reply to Iggy)
Post #: 3
RE: What can cause DVD drives to stop functioning - 2/4/2005 1:43:57 AM   
Iggy

No sorry, I was just said "What can cause DVD drives to stop functioning ". Meaning that some cases I've seen with both drives to die at the same time was by PS.

What m/b do you have? Did you try to update its drivers?

A different machine, of a frient, would help on this. I am telling this again because this way you'll see if it is your system or the drives.

Did you make any hardware change, for example did you change your m/b recently?

(in reply to _copycat_)
Post #: 4
RE: What can cause DVD drives to stop functioning - 2/4/2005 6:56:38 PM   
_copycat_

Hello again Iggy! I just realized that I have been asking the question wrong because its not that the drives don't function at all it's that they are not reading Video files. When I put a "copy" of a DVD in they are not playing the movie. The player icon does not show that a disk has been inserted, but they will read, or recognize data files. The last thing I did prior to this problem was, I downloaded data files to a DVD+RW with INCD. Have the drive settings some how changed from the default because of using INCD?
Yes my motherboard (Intel D875PBZ) drivers are up to date, everything in the computer is no more than 4 to 6 months old. Last time I had this problem( a couple of months ago) I just re-installed the OS(windows XP home ed.) I don't realy want to have to keep doing that though, I would rather try to find out what's causing this to happen.

(in reply to Iggy)
Post #: 5
RE: What can cause DVD drives to stop functioning - 2/5/2005 7:12:07 AM   
Iggy

Did you try to remove InCD? Packet writing software causes such problems all the time.

(in reply to _copycat_)
Post #: 6
RE: What can cause DVD drives to stop functioning - 2/5/2005 7:42:33 AM   
_copycat_

That did it I deleted InCD from my computer and now both drives are back to normal Thanks so much for your help. I will avoid InCD like the plaque from now on. In fact I,m not to happy with my nero ultra upgrade I purchased. Nero Showtime 2 doesn't work well at all compared to Power DVD. I'm very disapointed in NERO and sorry I waisted my money on the software.

Thanks again Iggy

(in reply to Iggy)
Post #: 7
RE: What can cause DVD drives to stop functioning - 2/5/2005 9:41:18 AM   
_copycat_

Well, I guess it was to good to be true. I was watching a movie which I have watched all the way through once already with no problems, but this time the video freezes part way into the movie. So I tried running it through Shrink DVD and during the analyses it stops and I get an error saying that DVD Shrink encountered an error and cannot continue.

Fail to read file "E:\"

Data error (cyclic redundancy check).
There isn't a scratch on the disk, what's causing cyclic redundancy?????

Is it because DVD shrink uses Nero burn when it's recording? What's going on? I have about 60 movies backed up and none of them seem to play. A lot of money down the toilet on blank media and DVD drives. Isn't there some way I can backup my video library before my ex wife demands that I give the movies to her?

< Message edited by _copycat_ -- 2/5/2005 9:44:10 AM >

(in reply to _copycat_)
Post #: 8
RE: What can cause DVD drives to stop functioning - 2/5/2005 5:45:46 PM   
_copycat_

Iggy, Should I maybe post any further questions in the DVD authoring forum? It looks like this may be an authoring problem concerning DVD Shrink. All of the movies I have backed up so far are on memorex media,and like I said it appears that about 90% of them are junk.I have a stack of Taiyo Yuden comming Monday. If I have further problems I will post my questions in DVD authoring forum. Again, thanks for the tip on InCD at least I know my drives work OK.

(in reply to Iggy)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [PC hardware] >> General Hardware Issues >> What can cause DVD drives to stop functioning Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI