CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Operating Temp.of Graphics cards   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1778 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [PC hardware] >> Graphics Cards >> Operating Temp.of Graphics cards Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Operating Temp.of Graphics cards - 1/9/2005 1:39:17 AM   
_copycat_

I was wondering how I might find out about safe operating temps. for graphics cards and how to monitor them? I have a GeForce FX 5950 ultra but no spec. sheet and would feel alot better if I new what it is rated at and could monitor it. They run very hot and are quite expenssive.I can't seem to get any info. from nVidia's web site.

< Message edited by _copycat_ -- 1/9/2005 1:42:14 AM >

I know the answer must be in here somewhere*#&%*...but where?...#%*&%#
Post #: 1
RE: Operating Temp.of Graphics cards - 1/10/2005 8:03:29 AM   
fernandes

Hi copycat... I did a little browsing through google and I didn't find any of this either..It' interests me too so if u come up with a good answer , post some for me :)
For now I can tell u that if it ( by "it" I mean ur graph.card) does not produce artifacts, then it's ok, and works fine..

(in reply to _copycat_)
Post #: 2
RE: Operating Temp.of Graphics cards - 1/10/2005 6:33:00 PM   
_copycat_

I guess you're right fernandes,and as long as the fans on the bottom of the card keep running it should be alright. Still, I sure would feel better knowing when or if it ever reaches a critical high temp. I hope it will shut it's self down before any damage is done. I'll post if I find anything out.

(in reply to fernandes)
Post #: 3
RE: Operating Temp.of Graphics cards - 1/17/2005 5:14:40 AM   
Leibniz

Hi copycat.
Check out the following screenshot from an 6600 card.
The core slowdown threshold is set to 145C where a typical CPU would get destroyed above 100C.
That means that vga cards can handle much more heat so don't worry if you see similar temperatures.
When the 6600 reaches 145C it will automatically decrease the clock speed of the core so that it drops to a safe level.
I believe all modern cards that have a built-in heat censor like yours do the same thing.

Also just like fernandes said, if you're not seeing any kind of artifacts in the game and your computer doesn't hang when playing games for more than 5-15 minutes you shouldn't have any problem and your overclocking should be considered successful :)

AMD 3500+(NewCastle), Asus A8V Deluxe, 2x512 PC3200
Asus X800XT PE

(in reply to _copycat_)
Post #: 4
RE: Operating Temp.of Graphics cards - 1/17/2005 6:07:18 PM   
_copycat_

Hello Leibniz! I've found the temp monitoring utility that you have shown in your post,and my 5950 graphics card is doing very well even at some pretty high ambient temps here in so.california. Thanks for the input. I just played Morrowind Elder Scrolls III for 8 hrs. and had no overheat or even any HIGH temps. This is GREAT. Thanks again.....Oh and I noticed that you are from Heaven.... Say Hi to God for me

(in reply to Leibniz)
Post #: 5
RE: Operating Temp.of Graphics cards - 1/18/2005 9:08:59 AM   
fernandes

hey copycat, this is a little offtopic but, the Elder scrolls ur reffering to is the Morrowind game?
if it is, then, that brings back, happy memories...I finished the game some time ago, and I suggest u do the same :)

Ps: do a little browsing through the net, and look up for the new upcoming ElderScrolls....it, with one word, ROCKS :)

(in reply to _copycat_)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [PC hardware] >> Graphics Cards >> Operating Temp.of Graphics cards Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI