CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Bad performance watching DVD's on PC   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1209 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage Software] >> Video >> Bad performance watching DVD's on PC Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Bad performance watching DVD's on PC - 11/5/2004 9:15:29 AM   
Jelmer

Hi,

I browsed this forum a bit to find some info about the problem i'm having, but couldn't find it, so i'm opening a new thread. Thanks to this site I got myself a NEC3500AG a few months ago, but i'm not real happy yet:

The problem is, when watching DVD movies on my pc, the sound is not in sync with the characters. What I mean is, for instance when someone speaks, the sound is not correct with his lips (i'm not English, hopefully I describe it correctly)

It doesn't matter if it's a original DVD or a copy, happens with both. I did notice that it does seems ok after an hour or so...

Does this have something to do with some buffers or something? Maybe the sound can't keep up with the video or the other way around?

Also, when watching DVD's the picture stutters a bit, it's not fluent. Especially when for instance the scene has a car driving by slowly you can see it very clearly that it stutters, it doesn't play smoothly like on my tv. Maybe this has something to with sound problem I described above? I use PowerDVD 5 and sometimes M$ Mediaplayer 10, but the problem is in both.

I was thinking to rip all the movies I want to watch to the harddisk, and play it from there, but thats a lot of work to do each time.

Any ideas how to improve this? Is this maybe a simple codec or something I have to install. Thanks a lot.

My system:
Asus P4C800E
P4 3.2 @ 3.6
1 gig Corsair TwinX RAM
2x 80GB SATA RAID0
XFX GeForce 6800 Ultra
NEC 3500AG DVD player/writer
Win XP UK SP2
Post #: 1
RE: Bad performance watching DVD's on PC - 11/5/2004 1:31:04 PM   
G_IvanAwfulitch

Well way back when I and my son-in-law installed aDVD-Rom in my Moms puter. Video card wasn't good enough to handle it. We got another card and used the Power Dvd software that came with the unit. We had to play around a lot with video settings to get it to NOT jump, stop or get the sound to match lip movement. It had a big ole 433Mhz processer and 64 mb of memory. (Boy those were the days ) Maybe you can get a local Geek to see if he can get yous smoothed out for you. Have a good stock of twinkies handy.

DVD Burning 'PuterP4 2.8 o/c 3.2
XP Pro Sp2
Albatron PX865PE PRO
6HDs_ 1TB+ total
2GB 3200DDR
MD 3500 2.FC, MD 3520 1.F3 On Firewire
Benq oem 1620 B7U9, BQ 1640
Plex 48/24/48 BU on Usb2
General use,Compaq 5000 series
BTC 1108

(in reply to Jelmer)
Post #: 2
RE: Bad performance watching DVD's on PC - 11/5/2004 2:41:16 PM   
Iggy

I had the same problem with a Jetway motherboard I had, where both Video and Audio card were on board. As you can imagine that was my problem. In another PC I have a AGP VGA, MX440, and a Gigabyte M/B and I have no problems at all.

(in reply to G_IvanAwfulitch)
Post #: 3
RE: Bad performance watching DVD's on PC - 11/9/2004 1:57:37 AM   
eleajar

check if you have DMA disabled. WinXP disables DMA mode if the reader is trying to read from a disc and fails... To enable it, you have to uninstall and reinstall the IDE channel

Please, excuse my english. I am Italian

(in reply to Iggy)
Post #: 4
RE: Bad performance watching DVD's on PC - 11/14/2004 2:16:03 PM   
Jelmer

Nevermind. I installed the new PowerDVD 6, and now it's all fine!

Also the quality seems much more better with PowerDVD 6!

I'm happy.

(in reply to eleajar)
Post #: 5
RE: Bad performance watching DVD's on PC - 11/15/2004 2:10:03 AM   
Iggy

Your drive is definately good so no doubt for it.

(in reply to Jelmer)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Optical Storage Software] >> Video >> Bad performance watching DVD's on PC Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI