CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Is there a difference in bitsetting software?   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 679 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage Software] >> CD/DVD Authoring >> Is there a difference in bitsetting software? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Is there a difference in bitsetting software? - 10/29/2004 5:16:55 PM   
xmen888

Is there a difference in the way bitsetting software works between DVD player? The reason I ask is, my friend who has a liteon brand gave me some dvds to try with the booktype set to -rom on several dvds. These dvds all work in my Sony DVP S7000 player.

I went out an bought a BTC burner, thinking all I need was a bitsetting software compatible burner. I have burnt numerous dvds and none of them will play on the Sony S7000. I have used dvdinfopro and nero to verify the booktype is set to -ROM. All the -rom booktype dvds does play in an Apex player that does not play +R disc. I have tried burning with the same media he gave me to test so media is not the problem. We both used Nero 6.3.1.25 and I have tried the btc bitsetting software, dvdinfopro, and Nero with the -rom booktype options. I think the only thing difference is that he is using liteon bitsetting software.

I have now also tried using another friends burner, a Benq burner with benq bitsetting software, as well as different model liteon burner. Guess what, only the liteon burner works on my S7000.

I have the BTC DRW1008UI, and have downloaded the bitsetting software v106, running firmware v159.

Thanks
Post #: 1
RE: Is there a difference in bitsetting software? - 10/30/2004 7:13:41 AM   
Iggy

Welcome to CDRinfo's Forum!

Once the drive is set to DVD-ROM there is no difference which software you have chosen. The output media will be recognized as DVD-ROM and that's it.

As soon as the software supports the drive you want to change there will be no problem.

(in reply to xmen888)
Post #: 2
RE: Is there a difference in bitsetting software? - 10/30/2004 1:21:01 PM   
xmen888

That what I thought too, but I can prove that my Sony DVP S7000 does not play dvd with booktype -ROM burnt on any burners other than liteon.

So far the liteon 1633 and 852 works on the sony. BTC 1008 and Benq 1620 does not. I have used the same media to test. Only difference I can think of are the different burner and/or liteon bitsetting software.

(in reply to Iggy)
Post #: 3
RE: Is there a difference in bitsetting software? - 10/30/2004 4:41:30 PM   
Zeral1ty

Try playing the DVDs on a different player. I know that certain Sony dvd players only like a certain type of burn.

(in reply to xmen888)
Post #: 4
RE: Is there a difference in bitsetting software? - 10/31/2004 5:09:04 AM   
Iggy

Are you sure for the booktype on the burners you mention? Do you have the latest firmwares for those drives?

(in reply to Zeral1ty)
Post #: 5
RE: Is there a difference in bitsetting software? - 10/31/2004 5:21:02 PM   
xmen888

Yes, the dvd do play in other dvd players just not the Sony.

The BTC has the latest driver. Benq has just release an update but looking at the log it won't change anything.

I just think there is a difference in the Liteon bitsetting software or they just do something different. I have not tried a DL disc with the liteon to see if it will work on the Sony. If it does then I would really consider going out and buying a liteon. Right now the media cost too much to experiment.

If anyone else is having problem with the -ROM booktype not playing on their player report what player they are using and what burner was used to burn.

(in reply to Iggy)
Post #: 6
RE: Is there a difference in bitsetting software? - 11/1/2004 12:06:35 AM   
arith

Actually, DVD+R with booktype being set to DVD-ROM is not 100% compatible.
Official announcement only said 99.99% compatibility.

(in reply to xmen888)
Post #: 7
RE: Is there a difference in bitsetting software? - 11/1/2004 1:23:54 AM   
Iggy

It is possible then to be the media, did you try with a different media brand?

(in reply to arith)
Post #: 8
RE: Is there a difference in bitsetting software? - 11/1/2004 11:53:15 AM   
xmen888

It's not the media, I have tried, Ricoh, CMC, MCC, Prodisc, Media ID001. Same result, liteon yes, btc and benq no.

BTC support said it was the media too, but it's not.

(in reply to Iggy)
Post #: 9
RE: Is there a difference in bitsetting software? - 11/1/2004 1:46:26 PM   
CCampbell

A simple test will tell you if the sofware is the issue or not, and I suspect it is not.

Use Nero to set the BookType back to DVD+R.

Then use the Lite-On utility to set the booktype back to DVD-ROM. If you still have issues, then the software is not the issue. :-)

Regards

Craig

(in reply to xmen888)
Post #: 10
RE: Is there a difference in bitsetting software? - 11/4/2004 2:32:52 PM   
xmen888

Ok I think I figure out why the liteon works on my sony, it uses a burn method called P-CAV for +R disc. The BTC and Benq uses CAV, NEC and Pioneer uses ZCLV. NEC and Pioneer don't support bitsetting, but I think there is a hack firmware for the NEC.

Every maker so far uses CLV for dual layer disc so if it works on my sony I don't need a liteon, I hope. Now to get my hands on a dual layer disc.

(in reply to CCampbell)
Post #: 11
RE: Is there a difference in bitsetting software? - 11/5/2004 7:58:19 AM   
Traxmaster04

Hello, there is a definite difference in the way the lite-on sets the bit setting to other writers. I have read that a possible extra session is written to the dvd+r when using the lite-on method. The BeNQ 1620 writes using CAV so this is not the problem.

See this thread

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=99657

It looks like the lite-on is the only writer that can 99.9 % make a DVD+R appear as a DVD-Rom.

Any comments appreciated.

(in reply to xmen888)
Post #: 12
RE: Is there a difference in bitsetting software? - 11/5/2004 9:38:11 PM   
xmen888

Thanks for the above link.

In there, someone said they got the dvd to play by using Recordnow Max 4.5 using data mode. I gave it a try using RecordNow DX 4.61 on data mode with New as Multisession. Unfortunately, it did not play on the Sony again.

(in reply to Traxmaster04)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Optical Storage Software] >> CD/DVD Authoring >> Is there a difference in bitsetting software? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI