CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

100% CPU USage - Possible Damage?   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1039 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [PC hardware] >> General Hardware Issues >> 100% CPU USage - Possible Damage? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
100% CPU USage - Possible Damage? - 9/5/2004 6:02:39 AM   
iKwak

During the DVD encoding, my CPU usage is peaked at 100%.The process can take a minimum 30 minutes to a maximum 2 hours.

I am concerned that the CPU will be damaged and lead to a meltdown (read it somewhere). The AMD Athlon 1.2ghz CPU is using the stock fan that came along.

1) How long is it okay for the cpu usage to stay at 99-100%?
2) Should I get a new CPU fan that blows crazy amount of air?
3) Or should I invest in a new Athlon XP cpu (money is short)?

I like to continue using this outdated cpu if possible.

What I Did For Love
Cal Poly Pomona San Luis Obispo KCCC Kwak
Post #: 1
RE: 100% CPU USage - Possible Damage? - 9/5/2004 6:25:25 AM   
iKwak

Also:
Should I buy a budget priced CPU fan that blows crazy amount of air?
And does replacing the stock cpu fan with an aftermarket cpu fan help lower the % of the cpu usage?

Thanks for your time.

What I Did For Love
Cal Poly Pomona San Luis Obispo KCCC Kwak

(in reply to iKwak)
Post #: 2
RE: 100% CPU USage - Possible Damage? - 9/5/2004 6:27:06 AM   
emperor

I believe that is ok since the DVD Encoding will use all your CPU resources, i think you may can set the CPU Usage within the software, else getting a better fan is always a nice idea, cause AMD CPUs "suffer" from high temperatures

(in reply to iKwak)
Post #: 3
[Deleted] - 9/6/2004 1:31:50 AM   
Deleted User
[Deleted by Admins]

(in reply to emperor)
  Post #: 4
RE: 100% CPU USage - Possible Damage? - 9/6/2004 7:35:30 PM   
MP3Mogul

As Emperor, and Minos have stated above, HEAT KILLS! This is very important. Just get a new high volume case fan, or do a mod that allows more fans, either is a great idea. Alot of the newer motherboards on the market have selective fan speed, that increase the fan speed only as needed.

Another option is a replacement fan for your CPU, they come in varieties as well, and will also help in your endeavor.

(in reply to Deleted User)
Post #: 5
RE: 100% CPU USage - Possible Damage? - 9/7/2004 11:21:57 AM   
S33K3R

100% cpu usage is ok but what are your temps. cpu temps and motherboard?

(in reply to MP3Mogul)
Post #: 6
[Deleted] - 9/7/2004 3:00:54 PM   
Deleted User
[Deleted by Admins]

(in reply to S33K3R)
  Post #: 7
RE: 100% CPU USage - Possible Damage? - 9/8/2004 12:07:23 AM   
NotesGooRoo

100% CPU Usage is not necessarily a bad thing. Your mobo probably came with some temperature monitoring app, go ahead and load it if you are worried about temp.

Personally, I went nuts with cooling for my main machine. I have not had a hardware related crash or hang yet. I run a full tower case (Chieftec), with 3 80mm Antec fans in the front, two in the back, a 120mm in the back, plus an Enermax 465w power supply with a bottom and back fan. I run a P 2.53 with the stock fan, overclocked to 2.7. Without cutting holes in the case, or running water cool, this was really the most I could do.

After I built it in the office, my coworkers were laughing because if you passed a sheet of paper in front of it, it would pull to and stick to the front of the machine. Cool as a cucumber.

Oh, if you want to go that nuts, make sure the box is in a spot where the noise will get absorbed, and you use a charcoal filter right behind the face of the case. Otherwise you will be dusting once a month.

I think for my next machine, which I am about due for, I will go all aluminum. This will also lower the heat. I had an idea about using a 12v mini refrigerator and squeezing the guts of that into a full tower We'll see what purchases I can make without the wife finding out

-NGR

(in reply to iKwak)
Post #: 8
[Deleted] - 9/8/2004 1:43:30 AM   
Deleted User
[Deleted by Admins]

(in reply to NotesGooRoo)
  Post #: 9
RE: 100% CPU USage - Possible Damage? - 9/16/2004 12:16:59 PM   
Matthew

Choosing a HSF now, I'd go for an 80mm fan every time - there are some reasonably priced models that are far quieter than 60mm fanned ones, and will cool anything but a drastically overclocked CPU.

If you run a temperature monitor and it's ok, nothing to worry about - My 1200 Athlon has survived 70+ (I did do something about that!) - as an emergency step, I added an old and rather noisy case fan to the rear, that pulled both case and CPU temps down by 7C or more, then I replaced the cheap & nasty HSF, and added a better rear fan, and a front fan

(in reply to Deleted User)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [PC hardware] >> General Hardware Issues >> 100% CPU USage - Possible Damage? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI