CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Kprobe for cdrw   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 745 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> CD, DVD, BD Drives >> Writing Quality >> Kprobe for cdrw Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Kprobe for cdrw - 7/13/2004 5:53:51 PM   
digitaldoc

If I want to scan a cdr on my LiteOn cdrw, should I do it on the 52327S or the 52246S, and at which speed? Is there a standard for cdrw's? I am looking to compare cd writing on cdrw's vs dvdrw's. Thanks for any info.

TNL
LiteOn 1693S review
Plextor 740A review
BTC DVDRW 1008
LiteOn 852S

Post #: 1
RE: Kprobe for cdrw - 7/13/2004 6:06:33 PM   
emperor

That's a rather good question, which drive should be used, we haven't made any C1C2 comparison test yet, maybe we should...

(in reply to digitaldoc)
Post #: 2
RE: Kprobe for cdrw - 7/13/2004 6:08:39 PM   
Dolphinius_Rex

I find the LiteON 48125W makes a fairly good test drive personally... but the fact is, all LiteON drives have differences. No two liteON drives will scan the same... but the Plextor Premium CD burner is actually much more consistant between drives. I got lucky with my LiteON 48125W since it tests quite close to my Premium, and I have some options when testing

Canada; Leading the world in being just north of the U.S.A.

(in reply to emperor)
Post #: 3
RE: Kprobe for cdrw - 7/13/2004 6:10:42 PM   
emperor

That is correct, Plextor drives can produce same results between them, i have tested this with the three PX-712A drives we have here

Unfortunaly, LiteON drives are drive dependable, meaning what you scan at a drive, will not be the same with a second type LiteON drive, etc...

(in reply to Dolphinius_Rex)
Post #: 4
RE: Kprobe for cdrw - 7/16/2004 2:35:40 PM   
digitaldoc

In my preliminary testing, the LiteOn 52246S seems to do a good job of scanning. It's results seem to correlate with discs that have trouble playing in some older cd players. In addition, I plan to use the 52327S as a writer for the tests, and I would rather have one separate drive for all the Kprobe tests. Apparently, sometimes one can get better results by reading the disc with the drive that wrote it (I may have read that once).

TNL
LiteOn 1693S review
Plextor 740A review
BTC DVDRW 1008
LiteOn 852S

(in reply to emperor)
Post #: 5
RE: Kprobe for cdrw - 7/18/2004 9:37:54 AM   
Halc

I've done a 10 disc personal study with Plextor Premium vs LTR-48256S vs LTR-52327s vs CATS SA300.

There are cases in which CATS refuses to scan the disc, Plextor says its mediocre and LiteOn says it's crap (both of them).

Then there are cases where Plextor refuses to read, CATS says it passable and LiteOn says it's almost good (well ok).

I haven't found a consumer drive that consistently gives c1/c2 readings similar to that of a CATS analyzer.

If one want's to analyze discs home and get useful results, one needs to ask oneself a few questions:

- Do I want to find out readability in MY drives (the drives one uses)

- Do I want to find out overall general readability estimate in all drives (i.e. general compatibility)

- Do I want to find out absolute disc/burn quality (i.e. not just compatibility, but ranked level of quality)

For all those there is a different set of tools, scanning requirements and heuristisc to use.

(in reply to digitaldoc)
Post #: 6
RE: Kprobe for cdrw - 7/19/2004 10:31:00 AM   
digitaldoc

The question I'm trying to answer is which is the best drive to write audio cd's with. I'm not sure if the better drive is a dvd drive, or a cd-rw drive. I'm looking for best overall quality of the burn.

TNL
LiteOn 1693S review
Plextor 740A review
BTC DVDRW 1008
LiteOn 852S

(in reply to Halc)
Post #: 7
RE: Kprobe for cdrw - 7/19/2004 8:39:13 PM   
emperor

digitaldoc, as you have read, Halc gave some leads, which seem true, while we haven't occupied much with C1/C2 accuracy, we will do something at the near future

About your question, i would say, burning at 16X/24X will possibly give lowest Jitter, avoid 1X/4X writing speeds, about the drive, cannot be so sure, try reading our reviews, we have such tests included

(in reply to digitaldoc)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> CD, DVD, BD Drives >> Writing Quality >> Kprobe for cdrw Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI