CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

InCD4 "Suspected firmware defect" error   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1738 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage Software] >> CD/DVD Authoring >> Packet Writing >> InCD4 "Suspected firmware defect" error Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
InCD4 "Suspected firmware defect" error - 6/3/2004 10:28:44 AM   
RDMMI

I found the "InCD 4517 locking Windows XP Home up" by Googling for the type of errors that G.M. posted.

After upgrading from InCD3 to InCD4 (4.2.4.1), the drive was "not accessible / Incorrect function" but only if an InCD3 disk was in the drive. If an ordinary CD-ROM disc or CD-R was in there the drive was accessible.

As an experiment, I put a totally fresh CD-RW disc right out of the package, and was able to format it via the Explorer right-click InCD4 format item.

So the actual problem is that InCD4 cannot "see" discs formatted with InCD3(?)

Even though I had read the manual and FAQs carefully, this reality was not spelled out.

I am running with NT4SP6a, and my CD-RW drive is the second drive in the system, with the first being a CD-ROM drive.

Though, I wonder if the errors logged mean that I really shouldn't trust the newly formatted InCD4 disc, and should revert to InCD3?

(My drive, the LG GCE-8320B is on the Nero supported list.)

Error.log shows errors like:

SCSI error: (Op 5Ah (ModeSense10) => os=0h host=0h tgt=0h sns=05/24/00h Invalid field in CDB Info=0h=0
CDB bytes:[5Ah][00h][2Ch][00h][00h][00h][00h][01h][08h][00h][00h][00h]

Suspected firmware defect: media capacities returned by command 37 and command 81 do not match.

Format Unit command failed when sent with 336076 blocks to format. Apparently firmware reports a capacity it can't handle.
InCD will retry with alternative value.

Suspected firmware defect: assumed that command 35 has illegaly reported service blocks.

SetEnumErrLevel: errorlevel was 1 [Dflt], is now 2 [Fine]

Though, after that formatting with InCD4, Explorer shows a "file" with the "hs" attributes and the name "Non-Allocatable Space". And in the InCD Properties tab it shows "UDF v1.50".

I can copy files to the CD-RW, but how "safe" are they?
Post #: 1
RE: InCD4 "Suspected firmware defect" error - 6/3/2004 12:28:25 PM   
emperor

DBurg can possibly help...

(in reply to RDMMI)
Post #: 2
RE: InCD4 "Suspected firmware defect" error - 6/4/2004 8:07:45 PM   
dburg

I am not aware of any InCD 3 versus InCD 4 compatibility issue our test lab could reproduce (that is, I do have seen reports of incompatibility, but when our test labs attempted to reproduce it using the same conditions, we have observed no issue). A simple workaround will be to temporarily put your files to the hard disk, reformat media with InCD 4, and move back your files to newly formatted media.

The lines you see in the log file are only informative. They are useful for our technical support / development team in case things go wrong. But in your case, format does work properly, so you do not have to worry about the log file content.

quote:

SCSI error: (Op 5Ah (ModeSense10) => os=0h host=0h tgt=0h sns=05/24/00h Invalid field in CDB Info=0h=0
CDB bytes:[5Ah][00h][2Ch][00h][00h][00h][00h][01h][08h][00h][00h][00h]

This is just the obsolete page code for MRW (2Ch) which is not supported by your device. This is a normal probe for device capabilities sequence.

quote:

Suspected firmware defect: media capacities returned by command 37 and command 81 do not match.

Format Unit command failed when sent with 336076 blocks to format. Apparently firmware reports a capacity it can't handle.
InCD will retry with alternative value.

Suspected firmware defect: assumed that command 35 has illegally reported service blocks.

This should be quite self explanatory: InCD detects that some information provided by the device does not match and tries its best to workaround it. It succeeds as:

quote:

Though, after that formatting with InCD4, Explorer shows a "file" with the "hs" attributes and the name "Non-Allocatable Space". And in the InCD Properties tab it shows "UDF v1.50".

Congratulations, you have successfully formatted your media. The hidden system file named "Non-Allocatable Space" is a mandatory file for UDF media which defect management is done at software level. This is absolutely normal. It is safe to put files on that media, your formatting succeeded and your software is watching for defective sectors to protect from data corruption.

David Burg
Software Development,
InCD Project Leader

Nero AG
Im Stoeckmaedle 18
76307 Karlsbad
Germany

fax: +49 (0)7248 928 299

email: dburg@nero.com
http://www.nero.com

(in reply to emperor)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Optical Storage Software] >> CD/DVD Authoring >> Packet Writing >> InCD4 "Suspected firmware defect" error Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI