CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

SVCD in Sony NS305   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1183 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> Firmware >> SVCD in Sony NS305 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
SVCD in Sony NS305 - 8/6/2002 8:35:22 AM   
rmedrano

It's possible to read XVCD and SVCD in a DVD player like Sony NS305 ?
It's possible to update the firmware in order to read SVCD ?

Post #: 1
RE: SVCD in Sony NS305 - 8/7/2002 7:19:18 AM   
Clint

quote:

It's possible to read XVCD and SVCD in a DVD player like Sony NS305 ?
It's possible to update the firmware in order to read SVCD ?

What's "XVCD"

And if the DVD player is a standalone, end users cannot modify/update firmware...

Yes it is possible to read VCD's and SVCD's in DVD players "like" Sony ones...

A little more info could help!

• Questions? Problems? Search for fast results!

(in reply to rmedrano)
    Post #: 2
    RE: SVCD in Sony NS305 - 8/7/2002 7:33:39 AM   
    Clint

I just found your DVD player here and it doesn't support SVCD but it does support VCD.

You cannot change this, the only thing you can do is buy a DVD player with an MPEG-2 decoder needed for SVCD playback (like mine )!

Video CD's are on MPEG-1 format, SVCD's MPEG-2.

(in reply to rmedrano)
    Post #: 3
    RE: SVCD in Sony NS305 - 8/7/2002 7:50:20 AM   
    rmedrano

Thank you Clint for your anwers.
    I know that a DVD stanalone player is not easy to update the firmware, but not impossible !

The XVCD is a extended version of the Video CD. You can obtain more info in www.vcdhelp.com. In the same way there exist the SXVCD as a extended version of SVCD.

My question was posted because I try to convert Divx into VCD and the result are NOT so very good in quality .
    For this reason I try to use SVCD intead VCD, but the problem is the DVD player...

Thanks.

(in reply to rmedrano)
    Post #: 4
    RE: SVCD in Sony NS305 - 8/7/2002 8:14:18 AM   
    Clint

I didn't say "impossible" to modify firmware, you just need the right equipment and most end users don't have access to this...

Oh wait, I think XVCD/XSVCD just offers higher bit-rates and resolutions than normal VCD/SVCD but it is *not* in the CD standard specifications, unfortunately...

Is that correct

I've seen (what you call) "X"SVCD in action and it rivals DVD quality. I didn't recognise the "X" because I refer to it as a different name . 'X' is probably the correct name for it though, I dunno?!!

Yes it would be nice if it could play SVCD on your one, but it looks as if none or very few Sony DVD players support SVCD playback, otherwise it's a great player (good looking aswell!) in my opinion .

Only glad I could help you! (if not very much...)

Edited by - Clint on 08/07/2002 08:17:27

(in reply to rmedrano)
    Post #: 5
    RE: SVCD in Sony NS305 - 8/8/2002 8:26:06 AM   
    Graffitti

quote:

Thank you Clint for your anwers.
    I know that a DVD stanalone player is not easy to update the firmware, but not impossible !

The XVCD is a extended version of the Video CD. You can obtain more info in www.vcdhelp.com. In the same way there exist the SXVCD as a extended version of SVCD.

My question was posted because I try to convert Divx into VCD and the result are NOT so very good in quality .
    For this reason I try to use SVCD intead VCD, but the problem is the DVD player...

Thanks.

not all MPEG compressors're created equal, I hear that TMPEG Encoder is rated quite high. You might want to try that. I've seem some very impressive VCD compressions where it's been so optimized that there's more or less no artifact whatsoever.

(in reply to rmedrano)
    Post #: 6
    RE: SVCD in Sony NS305 - 8/8/2002 7:32:26 PM   
    Graffitti

ok, I took the pleasure of making a samle of a highly optimized mpg.

http://home.austin.rr.com/afabric/chobit.mpg

now in this same, the color are a flatter then most, but it fades a lot which has a tendency to wreck havoc on mpeg. I've also had one segment with low motion, and another section with high motion. That way you can see a difference.

also keep in mind that this MPEG is 100% VCD 2.0 compatible. Bitrate and everything, and is created through TMPEG Encoder. Now using such highly optimized encoding method takes a long time. the whole movie originally was around 24 min total. It took me a total of around 7 hours to encode the entire thing from divx 5.0 over to mpeg VCD 2.0. yes.. it sounds like I have a slow computer, but this was actually done on a AMD Athlon 1800+ OCed to 2000+ with 512megs of DDR ram running at CAS2, turbo timing, and 1.5 way interleave. Frightening don't you think.

Also, from all my VCD and SVCD experience. Using SVCD is often not very justified unless you have an EXTREMELY PURE SOURCE. MPeg encoding has come a long way. If your vid was captured to your computer from using composite cables or if the source was from a VHS tape, don't even bother with SVCD. You won't benefit from it. Only use SVCD if your original source is a pure as the quality on DVDs. Otherwise.. don't even bother with SVCD.

Edited by - Graffitti on 08/08/2002 19:35:28

(in reply to rmedrano)
    Post #: 7
    Page:   [1]
    All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> Firmware >> SVCD in Sony NS305 Page: [1]
    Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
    Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
     Post New Thread
     Reply to Message
     Post New Poll