CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Nero 5590 Multi-session data image (?MB)   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 752 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage Software] >> CD/DVD Authoring >> Nero 5590 Multi-session data image (?MB) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Nero 5590 Multi-session data image (?MB) - 7/13/2002 4:47:02 PM   
nkwe

I am trying to burn more than one data image to a CDR with Nero 5590 (Upgraded from 5571 bundled) on W2K

First burned image files (*.NRG) to hard disk
Had to defrag hard disk because at one stage Nero would not even burn image file

Started New multi-session with defaults and burned first session.

Coming back for 2nd session it will not allow selection of any track.

Medium information reports Session 01 (?MB) and
Track 01: 00:02:00 43:13:00 (?MB). Data

Would like to fill up a CD with large folders containing data but still not enough to fill CD completely and would like to add more data to same CD later.

After RTM It seemed that multi-session was the way to go because initially I would only see the last track written doing something different?

Please advise what the best approach would be to burn multiple data folders

Sincerely

Post #: 1
RE: Nero 5590 Multi-session data image (?MB) - 7/14/2002 8:30:34 AM   
nkwe

Messed up three CDs thus far I think because I am unable to add more tracks due to (?MB)

Can't seem to find MultiMounter to read other tracks on previous CD - don't see the 'Volumes' Tab

“Time is a lenient god. - Sophocles”

(in reply to nkwe)
Post #: 2
RE: Nero 5590 Multi-session data image (?MB) - 7/14/2002 10:43:29 AM   
nkwe

Interesting enough seeing different sessions on different CD-Roms

56X CD sees Session 1
CD-R/RW 32/10 sees Session 2

Both sessions written on the latter

With IsoBuster able to see both sessions only on the CD-R/RW 32/10

Running W2K - Anybody care to explain this to a newbie?

(in reply to nkwe)
Post #: 3
RE: Nero 5590 Multi-session data image (?MB) - 7/14/2002 10:58:27 AM   
nkwe

The monologue continues

On Win98
First time in Cd Session 1
Eject Cd
Second time in Cd Session 2

(in reply to nkwe)
Post #: 4
RE: Nero 5590 Multi-session data image (?MB) - 7/21/2002 10:08:22 AM   
nkwe

Been waiting patiently for over a week now and still not a sole has come forward saying:

Go there >

Try this >

You can't do that >

Wrong topic >

Give us more information ??

Simply stated, all I would like to do is to add tracks to a data CD that has not been closed and be able to access all the tracks.

Isobuster works OK but it is a workaround.

(in reply to nkwe)
Post #: 5
RE: Nero 5590 Multi-session data image (?MB) - 7/21/2002 10:49:51 AM   
netman

i was never able to get multisession to work properly in nero either. the only app that does it right is ezcd cremator. it defaults to closing the session and leaving the cd open to add more data. and you can use the cd and access all of the data before closing the cd.

there must be someone out there familiar with nero multisession.

(in reply to nkwe)
Post #: 6
RE: Nero 5590 Multi-session data image (?MB) - 7/21/2002 10:56:04 AM   
nkwe

Thanks Netman

Was just getting a complex that I might be doing something stupid. Agree with you. Would like to hear from other Nero users what they have to say.

In the mean time I will go hunting for ezcd cremator.

(in reply to nkwe)
Post #: 7
RE: Nero 5590 Multi-session data image (?MB) - 7/21/2002 11:34:42 AM   
nkwe

Oh yes before I forget

Still looking for an answer on the (?MB) thing

Medium information reports Session 01 (?MB)

And

Nero actually leaves the CD open but so far either the first or the last track is visible or with Win98 we found that if you eject close eject one steps through the tracks as described previously in this post.

(in reply to nkwe)
Post #: 8
RE: Nero 5590 Multi-session data image (?MB) - 7/22/2002 12:59:53 AM   
maforget

I'm not sure what your trying to do. Are you Burning your compilation into a image file and then Burning an Image? Because I don't think you can do that. There are no multisession options in the Image tab. And you Can't choose multi-session options while burning an Image. Hope your not trying to burn a .nrg file on a Data CD? If you want to burn files from your HD, burn them directly with the ISO compilation (data) and then continue the same way with the 2nd Session. If you Already Have a Image And if Does not have some other information (like subdata). Then you should maybe use Nero ImageDrive (it comes with Nero, but you have to install it seperatly) to mount an Image to a virtual drive and then copy the files into windows, And Burn.

To burn a Multi-session you have to choose start multisession in the Multisession tab. If your using the wizard turn it off. Make sure that Finalize CD is not checked in the burn tab. When your burning your second session choose continue multisession, and choose the option you want. Make sure to check Finalize CD when your done because not all CD will Read your CD when it's not close (only your burner).

It will burn several session but Nero will write a second TOC and link the files to the other session, so it will look like one session because all the file will be there. But Beware because depending on your options Nero might replace some old files with new one (It will not erase them but it will put new files in the 2nd session and not link with the old ones). But you should be able to access the older files by chossing the first session with MultiMounter. Windows allows you only to see the last session, that's why you need MultiMounter.

The multimounter is in Windows Right-click on the cd Icon in "my computer". Also I think it does not work on Windows XP and Maybe All NT based Windows (NT, 2000).

Tell me if it help or if i'm way off the problem.

(in reply to nkwe)
Post #: 9
RE: Nero 5590 Multi-session data image (?MB) - 7/22/2002 4:13:17 AM   
nkwe

Dear Maforget You have been spot on - This newbie would have been burning coasters because it seems that one can not only RTM, you must have friends in Forums like this that are prepared to share their experience with you. It is much appreciated.

>I'm not sure what your trying to do.
>Are you Burning your compilation into a image file and then Burning an Image?

Yes in RTM it seemed to be a good practice to create a Image on HD first and then burn it. This I gather will only work if you intend to burn a complete CD and that's it. Somebody wrote that they collect all the utilities they use frequently, make sure it it less than CD capacity and burn an Image on HD. Burning from HD image to CD should then be more reliable. If you need to do it again without changing anything, just burn the image on another CD. Downside of this approach is that one can not burn another session and access previous tracks unless one uses something like Isobuster.

The part that I misunderstood was the ISO compilation (data) bit. That is where I deviated from the Multi-session instructions. Got confused between Images and ISO compilation. Will follow the ISO approach in future and keep you posted on my progress.

If I understood correctly Nero burns a CD TOC for each session. If one want to see the whole CD with all sessions' data then I suppose one must link the sessions so that all the files from the previous TOC also appear on the second one plus the new files of session two.

Multi-Mounter and W2K Professional seems to be a No-No because W2K is in fact NT5 or I am still missing something? Definitely no Volumes Tab in W2K.

Thanks for all the help and guidance thus far. Sincerely hope that other newbies will at least also learn from my experience and dramatically reduce the number of coasters they burn.

(in reply to nkwe)
Post #: 10
RE: Nero 5590 Multi-session data image (?MB) - 7/22/2002 11:20:29 AM   
maforget

It's just that in Nero the Data CD his called a ISO Compilation. It doesn't have anything to do with the Image. It's a bit confusing. But in the New Compilation window you have CD-ROM (ISO) that's the Data Compilation (the 1st on top).

And to link the different session you have to use continue compilation and be sure that add new files to compilation and replace files are check so it will be linked. Look at the help there is a step-by-step tutorials on how to burn multisession CD.

(in reply to nkwe)
Post #: 11
RE: Nero 5590 Multi-session data image (?MB) - 7/22/2002 2:28:04 PM   
nkwe

Thanks a million.

Creating a Multisession CD, Start, Continue and Finish (Sections 6.4.4 to 6.4.6 in the manual) starting to make sense now.

Judging from your response it seems that one must save the ISO Compilation when Nero asks you if it should - especially if one intends
to add to it later. Although the manual says start a new compilation.

What is the difference between:
(Option 1) a Multisession with linked files and
(Option 2) a Multisession with independent files?

Would one still be able to access all sessions with the only difference that in the latter option no files will be replaced or added to the TOC?

For example lets say in Session 1 we write two folders with say two files each DBFolder with DB01.mdb and DB02.mdb and DocFolder with Test01.doc and Test02.doc.

A while later the contents of first DB and Doc files have changed but not the filenames and we would like to add latest version to the CD.

If we choose Option 1 the TOC will be updated in such a way that we will still see the two folders with two files but because the sessions are linked in the TOC we will only be able to access the latest versions of each file. Physically the old versions are still on the CD but not directly accesible.

If we choose Option 2 the TOC will not be linked and Session 1 will have 2 folders with 2 files each and Session two will have same two folders and two new files each assuming we are copying the folders into the compilation to be burned. Alternatively one would only copy the updated files to session 2's compilation.

Would like to keep on adding updated files to the CD until it is full. A friend of mine has a HP burner with CD Writer S/w that allows him to close a CD, take it to another location, come back and Create a Cd on the same one and allows him to add more files and Close it again.

(in reply to nkwe)
Post #: 12
RE: Nero 5590 Multi-session data image (?MB) - 7/23/2002 3:56:14 PM   
nkwe

Looks like it the answer is on p38 of the Nero Manual

"Nero Creating a CD/DVD • 38
The files and folders that are already on the CD are now read and automatically updated.
A Nero Multisession compilation window now opens.
The new Multisession compilation window displays all of the files and folders found on the CD. Depending on the selected update options some files and folders will be gray and some black.
Black files and folders are the ones that have been added or replaced.

Folders in which at least one file or folder has been replaced or added are also displayed black so it is clear where the changes are.
Files and folders that are shown grayed in the compilation window are not written again during burning. They already exist on the CD. Nero will therefore only write a reference to these files on the CD.
10. Compile the files for the CD using Drag&Drop editing by simply clicking on the required files in the File Browser and dragging them into the compilation window."

(in reply to nkwe)
Post #: 13
RE: Nero 5590 Multi-session data image (?MB) - 7/28/2002 7:05:46 AM   
nkwe

Pardon me but the (?MB) ghost is still on the run with Nero multisession.

Compiled a ISO Data CD (not image) and burned as the first session with 'Finalise CD' disabled.

For second session one must select the last track. Step 9 of Creating Multisession CD (Continue)

"9. Once you have selected your settings, click the New button on the right. Select the ISO track you want to continue. This will usually be the last ISO track on the CD, so this selection is preset. Click the OK button. The files and folders that are already on the CD are now read and automatically updated. The Nero Multisession compilation window now opens."

After the New Compilation window opened the New button on the right was clicked, the Select Track window opens showing:
Session 01[?Mb]
Track 01: 00:02:00 02:05:55 [?MB]. Data

and

This Track is not preselected

What gives?

Noticed that the green light of the CD-R flashed for quite a while before the CD was recognised

Since I am unable to select a track to continue multisession wrting, I am stuck!

(in reply to nkwe)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Optical Storage Software] >> CD/DVD Authoring >> Nero 5590 Multi-session data image (?MB) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI