CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: era of cd-burner over?   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1129 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage Software] >> CD/DVD Authoring >> RE: era of cd-burner over? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: era of cd-burner over? - 7/2/2002 5:20:30 AM   
Laffin Assassin

WELL, WELL, WELL, WELL.
What a surprise, as I said in my previous posts after preaching about CD Writers dying we get advert for Hard-drives from a Company and they are not even the Cheapest Oh Dear they will have to drop their prices !

You Say "don't get me wrong, i have a burner and i love it and i use it all the time however i can see it's limitations and how they are merely going to get worse with time i was just cleaning off my computer and it felt like i was emptying the ocean with an eyedropper. Burned a stack of CDs and there was virtually no difference in free space (or so it seemed)"

As usual all rubbish

Laffin Assassin

It's Nice to be Important!!!
But it's more Important to be NICE!!!

(in reply to allyk)
Post #: 17
RE: era of cd-burner over? - 7/2/2002 7:24:47 AM   
Clint

...And then World War III breaks out. The CD-RW aims its laser at the Jitterbyte Hard drive, shoots and it's over. HDD burnt up and died. Recordable format wins the war because of its permanent/portability cababilties...

(in reply to allyk)
Post #: 18
RE: era of cd-burner over? - 7/2/2002 10:16:00 AM   
allyk

> we get advert for Hard-drives from a Company and they are not even the Cheapest

actually that's because the price dropped between when i posted and when you read, further proof of my point!

80GB for $71

> Recordable format wins the war because of its permanent/portability cababilties...

permanent: no reasons harddrives on a shelf can't last just as long as CDs on a shelf. I have XTs with harddrives that still work

permanent part 2: new high speed CD drives are tough on CDs. I've been watching some gaming forums (where the CD is required to be in the drive to play) and quite a few people have problems with exploding CDs (the CD just shatters in the drive), and this is with pressed CDs. Burned CDs undoubtably fare even worse

portability: what is more portable, a single 200JB HD or a stack of 286 CDs? A 1TB HD or a stack of 1,429 CDs?

(in reply to allyk)
Post #: 19
RE: era of cd-burner over? - 7/2/2002 11:05:46 AM   
Laffin Assassin

You say "actually that's because the price dropped between when i posted and when you read, further proof of my point! 80GB for $71"

WRONG it looks like the hard-drive manufacturers are having to reduce their prices to an afforable price as people are getting sick of been charged over the top prices for them and are not buying extra drives when they can get good quality CDRW'S for a fraction of the price. Oh and just to mention these are Internal Drives where are the Cheap High Quality High Capacity Removeable ones you are raving about

You Say "permanent part 2: new high speed CD drives are tough on CDs. I've been watching some gaming forums (where the CD is required to be in the drive to play) and quite a few people have problems with exploding CDs (the CD just shatters in the drive), and this is with pressed CDs. Burned CDs undoubtably fare even worse"

You are beating your own object here BE CAREFULL !
That is why we will always have CD Writers around so you can back up the original cd in case of them developing a fault JUST AS I SAID in one of the very early replies to you !
Something you cannot do with your super Redundant Removeable Hard-drive !!!

You Say " portability: what is more portable, a single 200JB HD or a stack of 286 CDs? A 1TB HD or a stack of 1,429 CDs?"

Why would you want 1,429 CD's portable
Oh silly me I never thought it is when your SUPER single 200JB HD developes a fault isn't it ! Which it will definetly will do if you accidently knock or drop it !!!!!

Laffin Assassin

(in reply to allyk)
Post #: 20
RE: era of cd-burner over? - 7/2/2002 11:41:20 AM   
allyk

> You are beating your own object here BE CAREFULL !

not at all. I fail to see how showing that CDs are fragile and prone to failure hurts anyone's position but your own. I've already said that 'backing-up' 'legitimate' games is a NICHE market.

I'm not sure you realize what NICHE means. It means it exists and a lot of people will care about it and it will be very important to them, but not to enough people to make a lot of money

> Which it will definetly will do if you accidently knock or drop it !!!!!

HDs aren't nearly as fragile as you suppose, as laptops and iPods show everyday

and when they are off, they are really rock solid. You can basically drop one onto concrete with no ill-effects

> Why would you want 1,429 CD's portable?

YOU WOULDN'T!

which is the point

(in reply to allyk)
Post #: 21
RE: era of cd-burner over? - 7/2/2002 12:16:54 PM   
Laffin Assassin

You Say "HDs aren't nearly as fragile as you suppose, as laptops and iPods show everyday and when they are off, they are really rock solid. You can basically drop one onto concrete with no ill-effects "

But they have the protection of Laptop around them which with most new Laptops is supposed to be quite impact proof . But they are dreaming just like you if you drop one it is usualy knackered anyway. But that is about Laptops and not your Super Removeable Drive which will have no way near the protection that hard-drives in laptops has unless that come as an add-on for double the price of the drive!.
All I can say is you must have rubber covered concrete or read to much sci fiction!

You Say " not at all. I fail to see how showing that CDs are fragile and prone to failure hurts anyone's position but your own. I've already said that 'backing-up' 'legitimate' games is a NICHE market.
I'm not sure you realize what NICHE means. It means it exists and a lot of people will care about it and it will be very important to them, but not to enough people to make a lot of money

Yes to your surpise I do know what Niche means but did you know there are 2 meanings and I was not sure which one you Meant I thought that you meant the other one :-

niche (niche). A recess, usually set in a wall, for display, ornamental, and storage purposes. In ancient synagogues, both Christian and Jewish, a niche provided a place to store important documents such as the Torah

As I thought that this was like your new drives !!!!!

Laffin Assassin

(in reply to allyk)
Post #: 22
RE: era of cd-burner over? - 7/3/2002 4:38:38 AM   
Clint

quote:

permanent: no reasons harddrives on a shelf can't last just as long as CDs on a shelf. I have XTs with harddrives that still work

Not talking about shelf storage, a CD-R CANNOT be erased, it is there forever! A HDD can be erased and deleated, CDs cannot, they are ROM's (read *ONLY* memory). CD's can only be destroyed as can hard drives.

Anyway why would anyone come to a CD forum and boast about hard drives Shure they are very good, no doubt, but can you put a HDD in my Sony Walkman? I think not. CD's need no connections like hard disks to be read, a laser is ran across the CD surface and nothing plugs into CD's, to read a hard disk you need to pug it in (either IDE, SCSI or IEEE-1394 etc......). CD/DVD's, you just insert, and forget.

You obviously have no value for *TRUE* portability... I haven't seen games or music sold on HDD's yet have you? Nor will they be in the future. Probably another RECORDABLE format like minidisc's that hold 1TB or something

(in reply to allyk)
Post #: 23
RE: era of cd-burner over? - 7/3/2002 5:03:48 AM   
john

I don't think a comparison between CD/DVD recordable and HD is fair.

HDs have been around for so long and its good that finally prices have been lowered. Recently WD announced 200GB HD and i predict that in 2 years we will talk about 500GB or even higher capacities. Again the 500GB+ drives would cost a fortune to buy them so CD (or probably DVD Blu-Ray) recordable would be again the cheap storage solution.

DVD Blu-Ray promises 25GB storage in 12cm discs, while there are several other technologies that boosts this up to 100GB or even 1TB (with the use of Holographic storage).

I guess we will see many great things in the next 2 years and who knows...Maybe DVD recordable one day passes HD in terms of capacity and portability

Visit www.cdrinfo.com - The Recording Authority

(in reply to allyk)
Post #: 24
RE: era of cd-burner over? - 7/3/2002 12:15:19 PM   
allyk

> I haven't seen games or music sold on HDD's yet have you?

i addressed this in one of my very first posts. I am not suggesting that harddrives will supplant discs as a distribution method, but rather that the necessity of discs as a distribution method will decline as more and more goods move to electronic distribution

> Shure they are very good, no doubt, but can you put a HDD in my Sony Walkman?

iPod anyone?

why worry about having to shuffle discs when you can have your ENTIRE collection already on it?

(granted not yet as they only go to 10GB or so, but soon)

besides a firewire connection is not that incovenient

> a CD-R CANNOT be erased, it is there forever!

leave your cdr out in the sun for a week and we'll see if your opinion holds

even in the best of conditions, the dye is unstable and will rot away eventually

> i predict that in 2 years we will talk about 500GB or even higher capacities

with drive capacities doubling every 12 months i would hope for something closer to 800GB

> Again the 500GB+ drives would cost a fortune to buy them

huh? why do you say this? i see no reason why hd price structure should be more more expensive than what it is today. In fact, it should be cheaper

sure your brand-spanking-new-800-Jiggerbyte-HD is going to cost maybe $200, but you could probably get an old decrepit 300JB model for $70.

> DVD Blu-Ray promises 25GB storage in 12cm discs

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/entertainment/new_media/newsid_1829000/1829241.stm

> But a spokeswoman for one of the companies involved, Philips, told
> BBC News Online that it will be many years before the Blue-ray DVD
> players are available in the UK.

many years? for just the player? how about the recorder? and how much will it cost? and how much will media cost?

> or even 1TB (with the use of Holographic storage).

holographic storage is the greatest vaporware ever, right up there with 3D TVs and flying cars and BitBoys

it's been touted as the next big thing for at least 10 years and maybe longer

> I don't think a comparison between CD/DVD recordable and HD is fair

EXACTLY! cd/dvd recordables don't stand a chance!

(in reply to allyk)
Post #: 25
RE: era of cd-burner over? - 7/3/2002 4:23:52 PM   
john

I really dont understand this fight of CD/DVD vs. HDDs...

Two totally different storage options for different proposes!

Visit www.cdrinfo.com - The Recording Authority

(in reply to allyk)
Post #: 26
RE: era of cd-burner over? - 7/3/2002 5:29:25 PM   
allyk

it is my impression that a large part of the CDR market is involved with storing and backing-up large chunks of data. Of course as those chunks get bigger and bigger CDRs rapidly become infeasible for this purpose

Of course other uses (distribution, copyprotection, creating disc for standalone cd/dvd players) will continue for some time, but as a mass storage media, the era of the CD is coming to an end

maybe i overestimate the importance of this sector to the market as a whole, but it seems that once it is no longer a viable archival system, many people will have trouble justifying it or won't bother to mess with it

> Two totally different storage options for different proposes!

you are exactly right, CDRs will shed their data storage role and fade back into what they are more appropriate for

while tv did not kill radio, it certainly lifted some prime responsibilities (primary news and entertainment (think radio soap operas)) from it, leaving it to do what it is better at (music and a forum for people to express their views)

just as saying the era of radio is over does not mean radio is dead (indeed it is a thriving market), so saying the era of the cdr is over does not mean it is dead, just that some of the primary responsibilities have been lifted from its shoulders

(in reply to allyk)
Post #: 27
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Optical Storage Software] >> CD/DVD Authoring >> RE: era of cd-burner over? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI