CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

VCD burning failure challenge   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1662 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage Software] >> Video >> VCD burning failure challenge Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
VCD burning failure challenge - 5/2/2002 3:31:01 PM   
Jaberwok

I hope someone here can give me some ideas on how to fix a problem that has arisen. I just started making my own xVCD's from VHS tapes and have been very happy with the results. Something happened to my system though that now I can no longer create working discs for my player. WinDVD will display them properly but my standalone will play only a few seconds w/o sound, screen blanks to play sound and then playback resumes in a jerky fashion. The quality of the display has dropped as well. Previously, everything worked fine and I can play other xVCD in the standalone. I have tried to rule out things by keeping as many constants as possible: using same media, software and mpg files that worked previously. I've even tried switching to vcdimagereasy for burning and found the same problem. I can't even duplicate a working VCD. The main changes made that I can remember are the addition of a USB printer, addition of parallel port scanner and a replacement of the power supply. I've tried burning at slower speeds and different media. I even loaded a Ghost image of the machines initial setup from 6 months ago and it had the same problem. Please give me a clue.

Athlon 1400, Epox 8kha+, 512 ddrram, 7200rpm drives, HP 9100 CDRW
Nero 5.5
Panasonic CV-51

Thanks
Post #: 1
RE: VCD burning failure challenge - 5/2/2002 9:43:54 PM   
thunderburn

got to be the media i had the same type of problems, you may not have switched brands but the maker mave have changed the content of the media, i have found that the lighter the colored media works the best, silver on silver, just a thought, try memorex i usually have very little fail using this brand good luck.

(in reply to Jaberwok)
Post #: 2
RE: VCD burning failure challenge - 5/4/2002 9:00:53 AM   
SiD

G'Day Jaberwok,

Failing the advice given to you by thunderburn, I would drop around to my friendly local DVD Player retailer and make out that I was interested in the purchase of a new standalone player. Testing my works of art in several units would hopefully confirm that my own player was not at fault. If that be so, I would then get myself a Bitrate Viewer from here: http://www.tecoltd.com/bitratev.htm and compare the mpegs bitrate for any irregularities.

I would be paying attention to the minimum and maximum bitrates, as my guess, is that your problem lies in the encoding process. By rights an XVCD is actually a non compliant SVCD. Therefore, for video you should be looking at nothing in excess of a maximum 2500 kbits/sec and audio at a max of 324 kbits/sec giving a combined max total for video/audio of 2,824 kbits/sec.

Not knowing any of the steps you have taken to create your XVCD or the capture card and software used, is nearly an impossibility for anyone to come up with a suitable solution for you, first go.

Therefore if you don't mind, I will share with you the process I use to create perfect XVCD/SVCD's. I might add that this method is completely home brewn as far as I'm concerned, but in my environment has proven to create hassle free first rate SVCD/XVCD's from VHS tapes. I use Pinnacles DV500 capture card and Premiere6 to capture analogue VHS into an AVI file in realtime. I export the video component of the AVI in Premiere6 using CCE2.50SP's encoder plugin, to create an mpv file. My settings are packet size = 2048 VBR 3 passes with Bitrate kbits/sec set at a Min of 500 and Max at 2000 for PAL 480x576. I then export the audio component with a samplerate of 48000 and 192000 Bytes/Sec in Premiere to create a WAV file. I use TMPGenc to encode the WAV file to create the mp2 file. I mux the two files video/audio into an mps file using i-Author's Multiplexing utility. When complete, I use i-Author to author a CIF image file for burning onto CDR's by using EZCD4 on a WIN98 machine. I am currently experimenting with XP but am finding that I'm having to re-invent the wheel all over.

In closing, I would highly recommend to anyone to rip a few DVD's before the creation of your own home made movies. I say this as you will learn the process of encoding and see how time consuming this all is. Better still, rip a few audio CD's first. Do not progress to the next stage until you have fully mastered the items outline above. In the meantime...

Keep smiling!

SiD

æ

Edited by - sid on 05/04/2002 09:03:45

(in reply to Jaberwok)
Post #: 3
RE: VCD burning failure challenge - 5/4/2002 11:26:56 AM   
thunderburn

if you are trying to make svcd then i have a great program for ya its a freeware except for the cinemacraft encoder. dvd2svcd http://212.88.77.140/ this is the easiest way to make a svcd after the initial setup, i can start the program within one minute of my time and the compter will run the extent of the other programs and in a few hours (im on an athalon1700) will have a mpg file ready to burn to a svcd, i love it

(in reply to Jaberwok)
Post #: 4
RE: VCD burning failure challenge - 5/6/2002 1:01:47 AM   
Jaberwok

Round 2:

Ok kids, thanks for the replies. Let me start with thunderburn - I have tried other media and even CDRW discs. They don't work either. Now for SiD - these files I'm testing have not been altered since I made the original discs just a few months ago. The original discs still work in my standalone but I can't even copy them now. That is what has me so frustrated, everything used to work fine.

I moved the suspect burner to another machine which never had a burner in it before. I installed and updated Nero to the same version as the original machine. I brought across the known good mpg and burned my disc. The problem followed the burner. I then purchased a new burner figuring the problem was that hardware. The new burner fails as well. I then suspected the VIA drivers but I'm using the latest except for the miniport which I installed. I tried my media and the media that came with the drive. I even updated Nero to the most current version.
I am at a dead end. Are there some dll's or other Windows 2000 drivers I should be looking for? (BTW the second machine is running Win98SE)

Thanks for the advice so far.

(in reply to Jaberwok)
Post #: 5
RE: VCD burning failure challenge - 5/13/2002 10:51:59 AM   
Jaberwok

In case anyone is following this thread, I've had a breakthrough. The problem is with my mpeg files. It seems I forgot that I modified my working originals by removing and few seconds from the beginning and end of the files to clean them up a bit. This caused me to loose the proper timings in the files. Nero dutifully converted the files to DAT but brought along the timing problem as well. I am in the process of recapturing my video.

I found this problem by downloading a Nero image which burned fine and played fine.

Thanks

(in reply to Jaberwok)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Optical Storage Software] >> Video >> VCD burning failure challenge Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI