CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

The BEST CD-R media for VCD's on a DVD players?   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1226 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage Software] >> Video >> The BEST CD-R media for VCD's on a DVD players? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The BEST CD-R media for VCD's on a DVD players? - 3/5/2002 11:30:17 AM   
AnitaPeterson

Hi,

I am backing up my Laserdiscs on VCD (waiting for the moment when I'll have DVD-R), and I'm taking careful measures to ensure the best possible quality (i.e. taking 50 hours for TPMGEnc to encode a 2-hour movie).

Before you accuse me of bootlegging, I must tell you that my LD player is dying on me (I can only watch one side of a disc every two days, since it can't "see" the media if it's been recently used).

I've been using these Princo CD-Rs (pale blue-green), but my Panasonic RP56 pixelates at random during playback - although the phenomenon does not repeat at the same point after rewind. The computer plays the VCDs without many problems, but it's still occasionally doing the same pixel game.

So I'm thinking it's the media. Should I go for something deep blue, like Verbatim, or something lighter in colour? Do Panasonic DVD players have CD-R "preferences"?

My machine is a P3-900 with 392 RAM and 80GB free on the HD.

Here's the procedure:

1. LD to Digital8 video via S-Video and regular stereo audio
2. Digital 8 to computer via FireWire, using Ulead VideoStudio 5 (to trim and arrange clips)
3. the resulting AVI file (about 15 GB) to TMPGEnc, with Inverse Telecine, Ghost Reduction, Block Noise Softener and best quality settings... leave the computer on for a day and a half or so (only use it for light Internet browsing) and voila, you have what's probably the best-looking VCD file you'll be able to get. By comparison, Ulead is fast when encoding to VCD, but the results are mediocre to say the least.

So, why is the image breaking up? It has to be the media...

Post #: 1
RE: The BEST CD-R media for VCD's on a DVD players? - 3/5/2002 12:12:04 PM   
Tron

Could be the DVD player. Here is something to try. Make your VCD on a CDRW instead of CDR. If you have to use CDR use the darkest media you can. But I find that CDRWs work the best. Try it, you will find that the DVD player likes them better.

Visit www.cdrtimes.net too. Another great place....

(in reply to AnitaPeterson)
Post #: 2
RE: The BEST CD-R media for VCD's on a DVD players? - 3/28/2002 2:05:10 PM   
YanUK

Hey, yep i had a similar prob to this and i was using Cinema Craft encoder for vcd & svcd, the only media i have found that plays flawles and with no jerkiness is DataSafe 80 min 24speed and 32speed media, they are extremly good and r very cheap aprox 20 pence each..

Rgds Yan

Post #: 3
RE: The BEST CD-R media for VCD's on a DVD players? - 3/28/2002 3:41:52 PM   
jbwill

Check out vcdhelp.com. I checked and they have CD-R media comments specific to your DVD player. They also have a pretty good forum if the info you seek isn't already there.

Good luck,

jbwill

Post #: 4
RE: The BEST CD-R media for VCD's on a DVD players? - 3/30/2002 2:29:37 AM   
thunderburn

i swear by memorex do glitches lock ups or stops good luck

Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Optical Storage Software] >> Video >> The BEST CD-R media for VCD's on a DVD players? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI