CDRInfo Forum CDRInfo Forum

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

Questions fungus CD/DVD Media, Some expert engineer in optical media can help me?   Logged in as: Guest
Viewers: 1335 You can click here to see Today's Posts | Most Active Topics | Posts Since Last Visit
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> BD, CD, DVD Media >> Questions fungus CD/DVD Media, Some expert engineer in optical media can help me? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Questions fungus CD/DVD Media, Some expert engineer in ... - 12/11/2013 11:29:32 AM   
gamemaniaco

Some expert engineer in optical media can help me? I'm in doubt

I'm worried about losing the files on my drives because of fungi

exists and develops fungi on CD / DVD Media? it is easy to occur? I've been reading on the internet about a fungus named Geotrichum and said he eats the polycarbonate CD / DVD destroying them, is this true? which are all fungi that attack CD / DVD? is reason for me to be worried since I live in Brazil Ceara estate?
Post #: 1
RE: Questions fungus CD/DVD Media, Some expert engineer... - 12/11/2013 3:51:43 PM   
Admin

Geotrichum has been blamed for destroying the aluminium and data-storing polycarbonate resin of compact discs, but the destruction process has not been confirmed.

I haven't heard anyone having issues in tropical countries, but generally, try to keep the discs in normal humidity conditions.

(in reply to gamemaniaco)
Post #: 2
RE: Questions fungus CD/DVD Media, Some expert engineer... - 12/11/2013 6:12:55 PM   
gamemaniaco

1 You said Geotrichum only attacks medias CDR? the Geotrichum not attack DVDR discs?

2 I'm worried if my CDR and DVDR media will be destroyed by Geotrichum or any other type of fungus, I can not control the humidity and temperature, I live in the state of Ceara Brazil is hot here near 40 degrees and season of rain has a lot of moisture but I can not control it
quote:

Geotrichum has been blamed for destroying the aluminium and data-storing polycarbonate resin of compact discs, but the destruction process has not been confirmed.

I haven't heard anyone having issues in tropical countries, but generally, try to keep the discs in normal humidity conditions.

(in reply to Admin)
Post #: 3
RE: Questions fungus CD/DVD Media, Some expert engineer... - 12/12/2013 9:13:34 AM   
Tony Veglis

Polycarbonate is used in the production of Compact Discs, DVDs, and Blu-ray Discs.

But I am sure that any incident you read on the net is probably caused by certain and extreme weather conditions, in very high humidity and high temperature. So there should be no threat to your discs.

< Message edited by Tony Veglis -- 12/12/2013 9:28:36 AM >

(in reply to gamemaniaco)
Post #: 4
RE: Questions fungus CD/DVD Media, Some expert engineer... - 12/12/2013 10:45:57 AM   
gamemaniaco

quote:

Polycarbonate is used in the production of Compact Discs, DVDs, and Blu-ray Discs.

But I am sure that any incident you read on the net is probably caused by certain and extreme weather conditions, in very high humidity and high temperature. So there should be no threat to your discs.
1 I am concerned that Brazil is a tropical and where I live the temperature reaches 40 degrees country in times of rain and the humidity rises too 80 % or 90 % and I'm worried if it will generate any fungus on CDR / DVDR destroying them

2 I also like the detailed explanations of the fungus Geotrichum and how it develops and destroys the CDR / DVDR

3 what are these pictures ? are fungi or not ?explain to me what that is because I have discs like these: http://www.vaine-culture.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/bitrot2.jpg http://www.nwsoundarchive.co.uk/userFiles/image/compact-disc-breakage.jpg http://pronto.ee/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/Disc_rot.jpg http://www.lifetimememoriesandstories.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/disc_rot2.jpg

< Message edited by gamemaniaco -- 12/12/2013 10:49:41 AM >

(in reply to Tony Veglis)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Optical Storage] >> BD, CD, DVD Media >> Questions fungus CD/DVD Media, Some expert engineer in optical media can help me? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI